[SOLVED] router can't ping but laptop can and WAN port unplugged

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I have a TP-LINK TL-WR940N router. The topology of my network is router A->router B -> router C. This particular router in question is B. I used a Lenovo laptop G40-45 running Windows 10 1909 64 bit to connect to it via an ethernet cable.

There are two problems:

1. WAN port parameters are blank. The router reported the WAN port was unplugged. IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway were all 0.0.0.0. Is this normal? It's set to dynamic IP. I replaced the router with another one, TP-LINK TL-WR841N and got the exactly same results, 3 0.0.0.0 and the "WAN port is unplugged" message.

2. in System tools/diagnosis, I tried to ping www.cnn.com and got 4 timeouts. I then tried traceroute. As I expected, it couldn't find www.cnn.com. However, on the laptop, which was connected to the router via an ethernet cable, I did the same thing in command window and was able to ping www.cnn.com. The reported IP address was 151.101.9.67. I then entered this IP address in the diagnosis, bypassing DNS, and tried to ping again. Still, I got 4 timeouts. I'm baffled as to why router couldn't ping but laptop connected to it, and got all the settings from it, could.

Solution
it's probably an IP conflict with two of your routers you are experiencing. the most at hand solution if to change the IP address for default gateway and also their corresponsing IP address range that they issue to the LAN clients

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I use a lenovo G40-45 laptop running Windows 10 1909 64 bit to connect to a TP-LINK TL-WR940N wireless router. The connection is quite fast 30 mbps/s. The problem is after a while, about a day but varies, the connection would say "no internet access". The problem can be solved by doing a combination of "ipconfig /release then /renew". However, the problem comes back in about a day, sometimes several times a day. I'm not sure if the router or laptop is at fault.

Lutfij

Titan
We're currently on version 2004 for the OS. With that I'm curious to see if your laptop might have any BIOS updates pending and if you're required to update your drivers as well. I'd update the BIOS(if pending) first then update the OS then update the drivers.

You might also want to see if the wireless router has any firmware updates pending. I would also advise using one router alone, not two - so you can isolate that the routers in standalone mode work as is.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

First, I'm not sure if this problem is related to the Windows version. Second, on the Windows Update, it says 2004 is on the way. Once it's ready for my device, I'll be able to update the OS. I'm not sure if my device, sort of old, will ever be ready for 2004.

That said, I'll check to see if any updates are available.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
it's probably an IP conflict with two of your routers you are experiencing. the most at hand solution if to change the IP address for default gateway and also their corresponsing IP address range that they issue to the LAN clients

Solution

TRENDING THREADS