Router connectivity issues

thatmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Lately my desktop has been running slow when using Ethernet so I figured I should mess around with my router settings a little bit. When i enable 5ghz connection on my router my desktop has a lot better speeds and I get less lag. My problem is that my entire family uses iPhone 4's and I am the only using a Nokia 928 so, I pick up the 5ghz while they don't. I was wondering is there any router config or Iphone that would allow everyone to use 5ghz connection? Router Model: SBG6580

Solution
Motorola makes some of the more popular cable modems. They do have better models and one that just came out last week that is suppose to support 802.11ac.

Still the main reason people like the motorola over other brands of cable modem/routers is the modem part works very well. The router part is just pretty average. You could use your current device just as a modem and then it would increase your pool of routers to select from since you are no longer limited by needing a cable modem in the device. Otherwise I would just buy a better motorola modem/router.

Still unless you had someone in your house transferring data between devices it is unlikely you could put enough load on the processor to degrade the performance of a wired...
Motorola makes some of the more popular cable modems. They do have better models and one that just came out last week that is suppose to support 802.11ac.

Still the main reason people like the motorola over other brands of cable modem/routers is the modem part works very well. The router part is just pretty average. You could use your current device just as a modem and then it would increase your pool of routers to select from since you are no longer limited by needing a cable modem in the device. Otherwise I would just buy a better motorola modem/router.

Still unless you had someone in your house transferring data between devices it is unlikely you could put enough load on the processor to degrade the performance of a wired connection. It would be much more likely the other devices along with your wired connection were exceeding your bandwidth you purchased from the ISP. Moving to 5g would reduce the number of users so its hard to say if it is the radio or the bandwidth utilization.

You could test to see if you have overloaded the router by turning off the encryption for a while. It is the encryption that uses the CPU the actual communication to the end wireless devices is mostly handled by a different radio chip.

Its really too bad this router does not have a way to see the utilization.

Solution