[SOLVED] Router + External Hard Drive with Potoshop/Lightroom workflow

Nov 23, 2020
I found a similar question here but the Photo editing workflow is missing:
https://hardwarerecs.stackexchange....cloud?newreg=c149966880fa4c02a0f8f22eaa8b4604

Basically I would like to be able to mount the 4TB mechanical hard drive connected to the router via usb so that I could open a project (folder)in a windows Surface pro 7 directly from the hard drive , and work as if it was on my tablet . (I also have a feeling that this might be slow , and somethin like a workspace sync to the tablet when switching projects would make sense also).

The general question is what would be the minimum requirements of a router for this kind of workflow and if someone knows a some best price/performance routers ?(I do not need 3g/4G support, but popular OpenWRT,wifi6 and home cloud support would be nice)

I am also curious for the case of FTP if I open a 100Mb file and change one byte of it , will the whole file be resent to the router and the whole 100Mb rewritten again ?

Solution
https://hardwarerecs.stackexchange....cloud?newreg=c149966880fa4c02a0f8f22eaa8b4604

Basically I would like to be able to mount the 4TB mechanical hard drive connected to the router via usb so that I could open a project (folder)in a windows Surface pro 7 directly from the hard drive , and work as if it was on my tablet . (I also have a feeling that this might be slow , and somethin like a workspace sync to the tablet when switching projects would make sense also).

The general question is what would be the minimum requirements of a router for this kind of workflow and if someone knows a some best...

kanewolf

Titan

The general question is what would be the minimum requirements of a router for this kind of workflow and if someone knows a some best price/performance routers ?(I do not need 3g/4G support, but popular OpenWRT,wifi6 and home cloud support would be nice)

I am also curious for the case of FTP if I open a 100Mb file and change one byte of it , will the whole file be resent to the router and the whole 100Mb rewritten again ?
If you want to attempt this, which I would discourage, then get a purpose-built NAS.
WIFI from a tablet and USB to a router is a recipe for poor performance. Even with a purpose-built NAS, your performance for direct access will be poor.
Syncing before/after alteration is a much better implementation.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
"I also have a feeling that this might be slow "

That is an understatement.

Even just maintaining stable access to a router connected drive can be problematic. The router brain is small, and has issues doing this.

A 2 bay NAS, wired directly to the router, will work MUCH better for this.