Question Router is limiting speed for device but works fine after router restart ?

Mar 10, 2023
Hello, I have Alcatel LINKHUB HH71 LTE cat7 as router and connected a few phones and laptop to WIFI (I can't really put laptop on ethernet). Now my problem is that on phones there's no problem when restarting device but once booting laptop the speed is limited to just 0.5MB/s on download and it remains so until restart of router, after that the limit is removed and I'm getting the full speed I should. What's the problem? Any option I should check on router? Not so long ago it was restored to default and I don't remember setting anything that would limit (or at least I'm not aware it could). Is it hardware malfunction and only can be done is replacing? If so then why it's limiting only one device? Or maybe it's WIFI card? WIFI card on laptop is Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue might very well be with your router, I did a quick search and noticed it has practically zero firmware versions or updates listed on their support site(which is kind of tricky to navigate if you're a newcomer to the entire networking scene). You could try and update the firmware using the router's internal GUI, though.

You might also want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates and if manually uninstalling the WiFi adapter's drivers then manually reinstalling with the latest drivers sourced from laptop's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, changes the issue though I doubt it's got anything to do with your laptop. Try with an ethernet cable as well.

If the issue is gone with another router in place of the Alcatel unit, then you've found your culprit.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I have Alcatel LINKHUB HH71 LTE cat7 as router and connected a few phones and laptop to WIFI (I can't really put laptop on ethernet). Now my problem is that on phones there's no problem when restarting device but once booting laptop the speed is limited to just 0.5MB/s on download and it remains so until restart of router, after that the limit is removed and I'm getting the full speed I should. What's the problem? Any option I should check on router? Not so long ago it was restored to default and I don't remember setting anything that would limit (or at least I'm not aware it could). Is it hardware malfunction and only can be done is replacing? If so then why it's limiting only one device? Or maybe it's WIFI card? WIFI card on laptop is Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter.
There is an ethernet port on the Alcatel. What performance do you get using a wired connection.

Mar 10, 2023
Hello, thank you for responses. I was quite busy during weekend and couldn't test it but I just did and over cable it works as it should. I control updates periodically so I'm sure all is updated (checked once again just to be sure), in router GUI when checking for updates it states that latest version is installed. I've tried reinstalling drivers multiple times as well but no result. I plugged other router I had to Alcatel and connected with WIFI of second router and also was working as expected. Why Alcatel hates my laptop WIFI card? Could be idk some cache or something that gets reseted? Any ways to solve it without changing router/broadcatsing WIFI thru other router?