[SOLVED] Router is only forwarding ports using TCP protocol, not UDP protocol ?

Jul 5, 2022
So I think I've tried everything I can so far.

Basically trying to forward ports 7777, 15777 and 15000 to setup a Satisfactory Dedicated Server.

I am using a TP-Link Archer AX11000, and have a Public IP Address. I have Forwarded the Ports through the Router selecting 'All' as the protocol (both TCP and UDP) have created inbound and outbound rules on windows firewall (have even tried turning it off).

Still I am unable to get an open port with portchecktool. I have used port listener to test the setup and it works when I am listening on TCP but not on UDP. Running NetUDPEndpoint through windows powershell I can see that I am listening on those ports when the server is running.

DMZ also hasn't worked. I have tried changing the protocol to just UDP and that also didn't work.

I have talked to TP-Link and my ISP and they have no solution. Is anyone here able to help?

Solution
You have already checked all the common issues. What I would now do is run wireshark on the server so you can actually see what the server is getting. Wireshark captures traffic very early so it will see inbound traffic that is say later blocked by a firewall or virus software.

What your goal is to to see when you run the port scanner if your machine is getting the traffic in the first place and if it is does it respond. It would be nice if you capture the data before it gets to the router but that gets messy. If you do not see the scan traffic I would try to plug your server directly into the modem if you have a separate device.

Wireshark can be like drinking from a firehose so you want to run as little extra stuff on...
You have already checked all the common issues. What I would now do is run wireshark on the server so you can actually see what the server is getting. Wireshark captures traffic very early so it will see inbound traffic that is say later blocked by a firewall or virus software.

What your goal is to to see when you run the port scanner if your machine is getting the traffic in the first place and if it is does it respond. It would be nice if you capture the data before it gets to the router but that gets messy. If you do not see the scan traffic I would try to plug your server directly into the modem if you have a separate device.

Wireshark can be like drinking from a firehose so you want to run as little extra stuff on the server as you can that way you don't have to learn how to do filters and can just brute force look though the capture.

Solution
Jul 5, 2022
Hi thanks for that. Really cool tool.

I received this message 9907 189.494844 158.247.7.200 192.168.0.141 TCP 74 [TCP Retransmission] [TCP Port numbers reused] 32910 → 15000 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=64240 Len=0 MSS=1460 SACK_PERM=1 TSval=2705601756 TSecr=0 WS=128

That's when the port checker tool used TCP (which I thought it was testing both silly me) so I switched to a UDP checker and it said my ports was Open/Filtered

Netshark output below

195 10.066480 192.241.153.165 192.168.0.141 UDP 60 55521 → 7777 Len=0

So my only question now is if it says filtered could that still be a reason for it not to work. Or should it be safe to say that my ports are working fine?

Cheers,

Matt

Jul 5, 2022
Disregard my last, it seems to be all working fine. Thanks for the heads up with the Wireshark tool though that is awesome. Guess I should done some more testing with the server itself 😨