Question RTX 2070 freezes in the middle of gaming, RGB on PC resets to default.

Feb 19, 2019
I’m somewhat new to PC gaming but I’ve encountered an issue that and I’m having trouble finding other forums that address it.

Tried testing out my new build yesterday on GTA V, and about 3 minutes into the first mission the game freezes. The screen never changes to black and it locks up the whole PC. It just stays locked on that frame of the game indefinitely. AltControlDelete doesn’t do anything, so I just have to do a hard restart.

Weirdly enough, when the freeze happens, the RGB lights in my case all reset to their default settings. I tried it on the Anthem early access as well as a few other games and the same exact issue occurred.

I’m using a Gigabyte RTX 2070 (not overclocked), Ryzen 2600X, Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3200 RGB RAM, MSI B450m Mortar and an 850 watt PSU from Corsair.

Does anyone else have any experience with this particular kind of crash? The lights on the PC changing lead me to believe it might be a problem with some of the peripheral software. I’m using iCue, Razer Synapse, and the Gigabyte software for the RGB on the card, but I just uninstalled all of those and the same issue occurred.

Other than that I guess I’ll try reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, but with the reputation these Gigatbyte RTX cards have I'm worried it might be the hardware.

Also this only occurs during gaming, I've browsed for hours on this new machine with no issues.

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks, I forgot to mention that. Temperatures are pretty normal. Like I said, the freezes happen within 2-3 minutes of game time so there's not really time for it to get super hot. The other reason I'm thinking that it's something else is that I've read that when a crash is temperature related, it usually crashes to desktop or the PC turns itself off. Whereas mine will run indefinitely, just completely frozen and stuck in the game.