[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super Not Performing to Expectations

Jan 8, 2020
Hi all,

I recently bought myself my first fairly high end graphics card: (Rtx 2070 Super) But it is not performing any where near as good as benchmarks on youtube. I am aware that I do not have an extreme high end system like the bench markers do, but I should be getting at least comparable performance. I'm obviously not expecting the same as the benchmarks on youtube but there should at least be a variance of 20 fps or so.

In games like Overwatch on Ultra Quality at 1080p the FPS holds steady about 90fps compared to Benchmarks at about 140ishfps

I'm monitoring this all in MSI afterburner.

My system:

i7 4790 3.6ghz
500gb SSD
1tb Storage
RTX 2070 super 8gb
8gb DDR3 ram.

This should be more than enough to ensure that there isn't a CPU bottleneck surely?

I've tried loads of different things:
Clean uninstalling the graphics card drivers.

Reinstalling the GPU in different PCIE slots.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the graphics card. As it does seem to be much much hotter than any graphics card I've previously had.

Thanks for any feedback or solutions in advanced.

Solution
Hi all, just wanted to say that I've solved the issue. I did a complete reset of windows deleting all files and drivers. I also flashed my bios to the most recent version. The issues i've been having been fixed. Back to expected levels of performance. I.e. 150+ at overwatch. Etc.

Thank you very much for your help
Sadly no, you do have a bottleneck. Your system is holding back the GPU a bit.

The i7 4790 is still relative, but there is some difference between it, and lets say the systems you were referencing. Any new AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen, Intel Coffelake, is gonna with fast ram is gonna leave your system for dust.

Also, you have 8gbs of ram, and although that's not inherently bad, for most games now at 1080p, the system will use upward of 8gbs. With 8gbs your ram may max out, and you will use the virtual mem on your HDD/SSD which can hobble performance.

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Yeah kinda a bottleneck... You can try to reduce it by lowering "cpu-intensive tasks" like LOD/draw distance, particles, model quality, etc. Also for esports titles or shooters most people use lower settings to get the most fps possible.

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah kinda a bottleneck... You can try to reduce it by lowering "cpu-intensive tasks" like LOD/draw distance, particles, model quality, etc. Also for esports titles or shooters most people use lower settings to get the most fps possible.

Hi, im not fully sure i have a bottle neck tho. I recently checked in and my cpu was only at average of 40% utilisation. Plus the i7 4790 should be more than enough for a simple game like Overwatch. Plus the benchmarks I saw all used ultra and epic for the game.

I agree the system is being held back a bit but it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as it currently is

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Well there are a lot of things that could be going on...

1. Power plan settings to high performance (not a frequent problem for desktops, but could be)
  2. Ram is holding back (ddr3 8GB is decent enough for 1080p gaming, but not for max results)
  3. GPU is power/thermal throttled (bad PSU, high temps)
  4. U did not use DDU before installing new gpu.

Eh if you do the userbenchmark test you could see if your gpu is underperforming. That test is not always reliable, but I like to use it for troubleshooting.

Jan 8, 2020
Well there are a lot of things that could be going on...

1. Power plan settings to high performance (not a frequent problem for desktops, but could be)
  2. Ram is holding back (ddr3 8GB is decent enough for 1080p gaming, but not for max results)
  3. GPU is power/thermal throttled (bad PSU, high temps)
  4. U did not use DDU before installing new gpu.
Eh if you do the userbenchmark test you could see if your gpu is underperforming. That test is not always reliable, but I like to use it for troubleshooting.
I didn't use DDU before installing my new gpu. But i've used it now and completely uninstalled the drivers. so i'm hoping that fixed it?

Im wondering if it could be a bad PSU, becuase the graphics card does seem very hot to touch in compared to my old rx 480.

I've tried benchmarking it with Heaven but it comes across fine and within the percentile. I'll try again.

I've also just update my bios driver for my mobo just done short testing but nothing so far.

Thanks for the advice :)

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Could you do this test and show a screenshot of the results?

Also, maybe download MSI afterburner, it shows temps. They should not be going above 80°C for your gpu during gaming.

What psu do you have and how old is it atm? (brand, Watt, rating, full name)

I didn't use DDU before installing my new gpu. But i've used it now and completely uninstalled the drivers. so i'm hoping that fixed it?

Im wondering if it could be a bad PSU, becuase the graphics card does seem very hot to touch in compared to my old rx 480.

I've tried benchmarking it with Heaven but it comes across fine and within the percentile. I'll try again.

I've also just update my bios driver for my mobo just done short testing but nothing so far.

Thanks for the advice :)
Whats your CPU and GPU temps?
Are you locking your frames at 90FPS by error in the game's settings?

Jan 8, 2020
Hi all, just wanted to say that I've solved the issue. I did a complete reset of windows deleting all files and drivers. I also flashed my bios to the most recent version. The issues i've been having been fixed. Back to expected levels of performance. I.e. 150+ at overwatch. Etc.

Thank you very much for your help

Reactions: Zizo007
Solution