[SOLVED] rtx 2080 errors and crashing

Dec 31, 2019
This is my second 2080 so im damn sure its not a memory error. little bit of back story I have bought my first 2080 it was giving me the same issues as before and while i was waiting for my second one (replacement) i was using a RX 470 4GB WITHOUT ANY ISSUES, then as soon as my second rtx 2080 came in the mail it gave me the same exact issues as before. bf5 crashes, minecraft crashes, bf4 crashes giving me the error code (device hung & device removed) I have tried everything in the book, DDU, MEMTEST, FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS, DOWNCLOCKED GPU, I RUN AN OC ON MY CPU BUT I HAVE TRIED STOCK FOR EVERYTHING AS WELL. I CANT EVEN TRY THE 417.71 DRIVER CAUSE OF THE FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS IS TOO NEW. USING THE LATEST DRIVERS AND INSTALLED LATEST BIOS, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY GRAPHICS CARD HERE.

SPECS 2700X 4.2GHZ
32GB RAM 2866MHZ
MSI RTX 2080
ASUS STRIX X470-F
EVGA 750W G3
H100I V2
250GB M.2 SAMSUNG

Solution
I think it's hardware related.
You've already fresh installed Windows, DDU to install new gpu drivers, updated bios, motherboard drivers, etc... that would've literally taken care of just about everything software related, save for malicious programs hiding on secondary storage drives(if any).
Instead of a specific game, it's happening on ALL of them.

You've already tried w/o the cpu O/C, Memtest...
At this point, I'd be looking at the motherboard and power supply.

The RX 470 works without issue... but what's the difference between it and the RTX 2080? Besides drivers - which you already dealt with - it's power consumption.
Yes, you do have a nice psu too... perhaps that one's a lemon? I've no idea how you'd go about testing the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've already fresh installed Windows, DDU to install new gpu drivers, updated bios, motherboard drivers, etc... that would've literally taken care of just about everything software related, save for malicious programs hiding on secondary storage drives(if any).

The RX 470 works without issue... but what's the difference between it and the RTX 2080? Besides drivers - which you already dealt with - it's power consumption.
Yes, you do have a nice psu too... perhaps that one's a lemon? I've no idea how you'd go about testing the motherboard though.

EDIT: That 250GB Samsung isn't your only storage drive, right?

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Dec 31, 2019

Yes, you do have a nice psu too... perhaps that one's a lemon? I've no idea how you'd go about testing the motherboard though.

EDIT: That 250GB Samsung isn't your only storage drive, right?
The 250gb is the only one I can load windows on. The other is an external HD, I went to best buy and got a brand new b450f and same thing ie happening so I'm gonna return that and go pick up a 1000w psus, if that's the case then I'm never shopping on Ebay for near new gpu's

Dec 31, 2019
got the new 1000w psu and theres colorful dots flickering on my games.... I think ive been duped twice now. me and my <Mod Edit> luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 31, 2019
It would've been nice to state in your first post that this was the SECOND used GPU you were having problems with.
first post was my FIRST one THIS one was my SECOND one, both the TRIO X by MSI but different card. maybe I should get a 2070 super or get a evga 2080 instead, I really want that good lookin rgb though

Dec 31, 2019
its been running stock now, I think the card is artifacting now, I saw flashing colorful lights on my screen on Minecraft w/ shaders and now on battlefield, I have a ss of it

Dec 31, 2019
filled out a return request and he happily took it, gonna get my money back and get lucky with the bstock on evga or get a brand spankin new 2070 super strix, im done with this model of 2080