Question RTX 2080 GPU Overclock, did I ruin my GPU?

Feb 16, 2019
Good day,

Firstly I'll tell you my components: GPU: RTX 2080 MSI Trio & PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750W
Yesterday, a friend came over and told me that my GPU can be overclocked easily to its maximum settings. So we opened Asus GPU Tweak II, and he pushed the core clock up to 2360MHz ( +500Mhz), and the fan speed to 100%, everything was alright for a few seconds then my PC stopped. We had to restart the computer for a couple of times (so it failed for like 3-4 times when I tried to start up the computer and restore the GPU Tweak settings) and run it through safe mode and it eventually restored the GPU to its default settings by itself, a miracle happend, and nothing bad happend afterwards.
So my GPU failed a couple of times because of the core clock when we tried restarting the PC to restore the GPU to its default settings. I don't know how, but the settings got back to their stock ones after let's say 5-6 restarts of the PC.
Today I played for like 3-4 hours Apex Legends without any problem, and yesterday after the GPU restored its settings.
So I wonder, did I cause any permanent or long-lasting damage to my GPU by pushing the GPU yesterday with 500Mhz coreclock and 100% fan speed?
I would really love a detailed answer regarding this... I really feel like **, I feel like I ruined my RTX 2080 Trio... I mean, it currently runs okay, but I'm afraid it will fail any time soon because of the overclock I did last night. It was just stupid of me.
I'll never overclock it again, I put my trust in this guy and he nearly destroyed my GPU... tell me please what might have happend to my GPU? I heard there's some sort of system built in the GPU that doesn't let the GPU go really that up and ruin itself...
Really looking forward to an answer, thank you in advance guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2019
Your GPU is probably fine.

But that's not the way to do any OC. You don't jump from stock to theoretical max in one effort.
You increase slowly, testing at each level.

I am not an expert, but I knew we had to do it with a little bit of progression, but the guy was so certain that it would be all fine by increasing the core clock to maximum. So you're saying that even though the PC failed a few times through the 5-6 restarts we did, it didn't cause any permanent damage? Thank you for your quick answer, I really hope everything will be fine! Even though, it got me scared that it failed a few times and then it automatically restored to its stock settings by itself...

It’s fine. When overclocking you often find you have gone too far when the system crashes/reboots. It’s concerning if you are not used to it but it’s actually normal.

However if you don’t need the extra performance then I would not bother overclocking the gpu. It will just run hotter. If you want the extra performance then go ahead.

Reactions: ddey
Feb 16, 2019
It’s fine. When overclocking you often find you have gone too far when the system crashes/reboots. It’s concerning if you are not used to it but it’s actually normal.

However if you don’t need the extra performance then I would not bother overclocking the gpu. It will just run hotter. If you want the extra performance then go ahead.

Thank you for your answer, I have received the same answer from my components seller from my city - he says the GPU is fine. Thanks a lot!