[SOLVED] RTX 2080 TI - Black Screen Under Gaming Load?

Jan 20, 2020
Alright people, i'm stumped, and i've been successfully building gaming rigs for myself and others for 20+ years.

I recently purchased an PNY 2080 TI XLR8 to upgrade my PC from a Gigabyte 2060. Everything continues to work perfectly with 2060. Everything worked perfectly with the 2080 TI (along with the 2060 installed driving my 2nd 4K with Chrome pinned to that GPU) for two weeks. Now when launching any serious game (Squad, BFV, COD:MW, etc) it black screens.

What i've done:
  1. Remove 2060 (in case it was a PSU load issue)
    1. of note, when 2060 is installed, the 2nd monitor doesn't black screen, though any apps using the 2080 GPU go black (windows explorer, discord)
  2. Monitor temperatures (GPU doesn't get above 43C, CPU stays < 40C at max load)
  3. Swap 2080 TI out for 2060 - everything works perfectly
  4. Swapped 2080 TI back in, completely removed nvidia drivers with DDU, reinstalled
  5. Upgraded all drivers/bios/firmware to latest version
  6. Disabled on board video (Intel)
  7. Tried PNY's GPU OC tool (Velocity X) to
    1. underclock
    2. increase fan speeds
    3. underclock & increase fan speeds
  8. poked and prodded my ASUS bios settings to no change
  9. Reached out to PNY support, they recommended returning to vendor (Amazon) and requesting replacement.
    1. waited 4 days for replacement from amazon
  10. Installed replacement 2080 TI - still occurs
  11. Completely reinstalled Windows 10 and only installed google chrome, new drivers, Steam, and Squad and it still occurs.
  12. UserBenchmark can trigger the issue.
Build (CPU-Z Validation):
While its an OC rig... i don't actually like to overclock, but have found that OC quality components typically last longer than standard ones.

So, i'm stumped... i'd think it was PSU except that it worked flawlessly the first two weeks with both 2080 TI and 2060 installed... every PSU calculator i've looked at recommends 750W PSU for this build, and i'm at 800W, and without the 2060 installed i should have plenty of room available on the PSU.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated... as i have two 2080 TIs that may be broken identically or another unknown issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok... figured it out, after a week of frustration, and an hour after making this post.

I have 3 2x4 power connectors, #1, #3, #4. #1 had always powered my 2060, and i always used #3 and #4 to power the 2080 TI.... so this evening i swapped back in my 2060 and used #4 (by chance) and it showed the same symptoms.

So, lesson... try every possible combination of everything.
Jan 20, 2020
Ok... figured it out, after a week of frustration, and an hour after making this post.

I have 3 2x4 power connectors, #1, #3, #4. #1 had always powered my 2060, and i always used #3 and #4 to power the 2080 TI.... so this evening i swapped back in my 2060 and used #4 (by chance) and it showed the same symptoms.

So, lesson... try every possible combination of everything.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Solution