[SOLVED] RTX 3080 and AMD RX 6800xt

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hey guys so i'm building a PC next month and i am confused between choosing one of these after AMD revealed their big navi gpus i wanted to go for Rx 6800xt because of their 16gb of vram but im a visual artist as well and need to render stuff so a friend of mine said that RTX 3080 are better optimized for rendering and stuff related to it.
but i somehow don't wanna miss out on 6 more of vram and im really confused.
Need some suggestions on which Gpu should i go for also is RTX 3080 enough to handle games at 1440p at high to ultra settings for 3 to 4 years. ?
Thank you in advance

Solution
To give some context if you look back to this time in 2016 you are comparing to a GTX1080. By today’s standards that’s a mediocre 1440p gpu now.
I’m running a 3080 at both 1440p and occasionally 4K and the 10GB VRAM has not been an issue. I have not seen any reviews showing 10GB is a problem at 4K let alone 1440p. NVidia do have a history of being more memory efficient.

For high to ultra settings for 3-4 years I feel is a very big ask at 1440p. I would have doubts a 3090 would do this or at least at frame rates close to those you get today. How long the gpu meets your needs will be heavily dependent on your expectations.

Reactions: hadiahmed29

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I’m running a 3080 at both 1440p and occasionally 4K and the 10GB VRAM has not been an issue. I have not seen any reviews showing 10GB is a problem at 4K let alone 1440p. NVidia do have a history of being more memory efficient.

For high to ultra settings for 3-4 years I feel is a very big ask at 1440p. I would have doubts a 3090 would do this or at least at frame rates close to those you get today. How long the gpu meets your needs will be heavily dependent on your expectations.

Yeah i do feel that's the case with most of the GPU today but im just looking for a gpu which will help me in the long run you know.
Whether 6800xt 16gb vram will help or not for coming years
Also do you see games using more than 10 vram in next gen games ?
Im very curious about all of this

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hey guys so i'm building a PC next month and i am confused between choosing one of these after AMD revealed their big navi gpus i wanted to go for Rx 6800xt because of their 16gb of vram but im a visual artist as well and need to render stuff so a friend of mine said that RTX 3080 are better optimized for rendering and stuff related to it.
but i somehow don't wanna miss out on 6 more of vram and im really confused.
Need some suggestions on which Gpu should i go for also is RTX 3080 enough to handle games at 1440p at high to ultra settings for 3 to 4 years. ?
Thank you in advance

RTX 3080 ti with 20GB VRAM is coming soon for $999 as Rumored . wait for it .

RTX 3080 ti with 20GB VRAM is coming soon for $999 as Rumored . wait for it .
If budget allows I’d normally say that’s a good plan. However with all the supply issues for all sorts of new tech I expect this will be another product that’s going to be very hard to get hold of. The 3000 series GPU’s that are out now are looking like supply issues will continue well into 2021. It could be the end of Q1 or beyond for a 3080Ti.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
If budget allows I’d normally say that’s a good plan. However with all the supply issues for all sorts of new tech I expect this will be another product that’s going to be very hard to get hold of. The 3000 series GPU’s that are out now are looking like supply issues will continue well into 2021. It could be the end of Q1 or beyond for a 3080Ti.

He is planning to keep it 3-4 years ... it is better to have more VRAM if he upgrades every 4 years.

He is planning to keep it 3-4 years ... it is better to have more VRAM if he upgrades every 4 years.
I am saying it’s a good plan except for the supply issues which don’t look to be going away. If you need a gpu now then waiting maybe 3 months or more may not be an option. I’d also weigh up the options. A cheaper 3080 now, sell it after 2 years and upgrade again or wait and spend an extra 30-40% now and try and keep it for 4 years.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I am saying it’s a good plan except for the supply issues which don’t look to be going away. If you need a gpu now then waiting maybe 3 months or more may not be an option. I’d also weigh up the options. A cheaper 3080 now, sell it after 2 years and upgrade again or wait and spend an extra 30-40% now and try and keep it for 4 years.

RTX 3080 is not cheaper now , it is overpriced. and it is hard to find anyways ... he will have to wait for 2021 anyways to get a good deal and choose the model he wants not forced model because of shortages.

RTX 3080 is not cheaper now , it is overpriced. and it is hard to find anyways ... he will have to wait for 2021 anyways to get a good deal and choose the model he wants not forced model because of shortages.
If it takes 3-4 months post 3080 launch to get supply to reasonable levels there is nothing to suggest a 3080Ti launch would be different. Speculation of course but I’d plan for worst case. With an end of year launch it could be end of Q1 or even Q2 for a 3080Ti to settle with good stock levels. Supply issues are definitely a factor to consider when buying at the moment especially if you want to wait for a product that’s not on the market to finish the build.

Ultimately I like the suggestion you made. Just make sure to factor in supply issues and potentially waiting well into 2021 as a part of that plan.