[SOLVED] RTX 3080 FTW3 fans off, making grinding noise, especially on startup, now during idle.

Oct 14, 2022
I have no idea what is going on. For the past couple months on startup, my gpu will make a revving, grinding noise, like it's a failing fan, it would make the sound for about 45 seconds then fade away. Now it's happening constantly, particularly at the desktop or low activity. The problem is, the three fans are off. The sound and where it was coming from was deceiving at first. I had to check each fan in the case, and check the psu. It's the gpu. I unfortunately bought tis pc prebuilt more than a year ago, so the warranty is not valid. I wish I could upload a video of the sound it's making. I have tried turning the fans on but this does not help or change the sound. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Solution
Likely coil whine. EVGA would probably still take a look at the card if you wanted to send it in, but it will have to be soon, they are exiting the GPU business.

You could also try taking the card apart and re-pasting and putting in new thermal pads.

If I recall from mine the coils are actually buried in a thermal goop and I could see that getting pumped out over time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Likely coil whine. EVGA would probably still take a look at the card if you wanted to send it in, but it will have to be soon, they are exiting the GPU business.

You could also try taking the card apart and re-pasting and putting in new thermal pads.

If I recall from mine the coils are actually buried in a thermal goop and I could see that getting pumped out over time.

Reactions: RandallFlagg89
Solution
Oct 14, 2022
Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response. I've looked up what whine sounds like and what I find does not sound like my issue, but maybe it's different for each card. I called EVGA and they won't take it, it's out of warranty and I asked if I could pay for a repair and he said they don't do that. I have no confidence in taking it apart, this thing cost me an arm and a leg. I do however see some thermal paste that may be leaking.. I'm not sure if these cards are suppose to be be clean with their paste or if it's normal.

Anyway, thanks again.

Oct 14, 2022

Thanks for your suggestion to contact EVGA. I wouldn't have otherwise, considering it's 7 months past warranty. Fortunately they are awesome there and the guy from customer service got approval from his manager to set up a rma for me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are the best at that, sad to see them go. (Probably why they are offering to do it)

If I exclude the last GPU I bought (Intel A380 from ASRock) My last 7 GPUs have been EVGA, and I also got one of their early entries in the form of an 8800GTS, so at least 8 GPUs over the years.

They still offer good power supplies at least, so I paired that Intel GPU with an SFX 450M from EVGA. I rather hope they get big into the motherboard market, they offer a few premium boards, even did a few AMD boards last generation. No sign of Z790 or X670 boards yet, a little concerning.

Reactions: RandallFlagg89
Oct 14, 2022
With their customer service, I can see why. Big plus is that they don't outsource their support to India. I'll definitely being buying whatever I can from them in the future. Thanks again and take care.