News RTX 3080 Graphics Cards Are Sold Out Minutes After Release

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was actually trying to look up something from my NewEgg order history this morning, and I kept getting "service unavailable" when clicking on products in my order to get details.

I guess maybe a rush on the RTX 3080 must've been behind that.

I still don't get the need to buy this on release day.

@hotaru.hino - +$4600? That's beyond insane! NOBODY is going to pay that. I would doubt people will pay +$1200, not to mention almost 4x that amount.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
let-them-fight.jpg

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes, this is what is otherwise known as the "Early Adopter's Tax".

I can understand wanting to get the new cards the first day but usually it's best to wait until there's a steady supply of them and more varieties of cards are available.

hannibal

Distinguished
If people pay these stupid prices to scalpers... They will do it again and again and again... Don`t feed scalpers!

I did see the same with Pascal release... prices at the beginning were... well full robbery. I did wait and wait and when I did see them again at msrp, i did my order. And did get my 1070 OC model at desent price. There is limit how long those scalpers can hold those prices!

At this rate, I may just buy pre-builts. Remember that time when you could buy a system with a 2080 for the same cost as a 2080 on the market?

(okay, you may have to put in a bit more elbow grease to make the prebuilt better, but that sentiment is growing strong)

Reactions: King_V
Sep 17, 2020
I waited overnight at Microcenter, was about 25th in line. Manager comes out at 8am and says there is only going to be 11 cards available today. We got home at about 8:45am and logged into all of the sites smashing refresh over and over, only for them to literally go from "notify me" to "out of stock" with no inbetween. This was an absolute joke of a launch. Nvidia giving no stock to actual in store consumers (Microcenter) is the biggest joke of all, literally sold them to bots w/ zero barrier so they could scalp them for 3x+the cost(which I honestly hope is a joke, cause anyone willing to spend $1500+ clearly should wait a week for 3090's). Most likely on purpose so they can inflate the cost past MSRP in a month but seem like a savior when they come in cheaper than the scalpers.

I waited overnight at Microcenter, was about 25th in line. Manager comes out at 8am and says there is only going to be 11 cards available today. We got home at about 8:45am and logged into all of the sites smashing refresh over and over, only for them to literally go from "notify me" to "out of stock" with no inbetween. This was an absolute joke of a launch. Nvidia giving no stock to actual in store consumers (Microcenter) is the biggest joke of all, literally sold them to bots w/ zero barrier so they could scalp them for 3x+the cost(which I honestly hope is a joke, cause anyone willing to spend $1500+ clearly should wait a week for 3090's). Most likely on purpose so they can inflate the cost past MSRP in a month but seem like a savior when they come in cheaper than the scalpers.
Stores have to order from the manufacturer in order to sell parts. NVIDIA or other board manufacturers don't simply "give" them cards to sell.

Also considering NVIDIA went through two generations of launch-day scalping with no officially sanctioned increase in MSRP, I doubt it'll increase. I mean, we can come back in a month and see if NVIDIA themselves raised the price, but whatever happens on storefronts is their own doing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some people are going to buy those cards at those exorbitant prices.
Human Stupidity knows no bounds.

The cards will eventually be back in stock - which is why FOMO is so stupid - but just like with the 2080Ti(which should've been 1000USD), it will probably never be seen around that price again, giving Nvidia reason to gouge the higher Vram variants.
Everyone gets bent.

The cards will eventually be back in stock - which is why FOMO is so stupid - but just like with the 2080Ti(which should've been 1000USD), it will probably never be seen around that price again, giving Nvidia reason to gouge the higher Vram variants.
Everyone gets bent.
I did see EVGA and ASUS have a $999 2080 Ti variant*. And while I believe both used a blower style card, I could've sworn EVGA had a "Black edition" card that used their custom cooler. EVGA also had other GPUs at MSRP when the FE price was higher.

*https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pK...ck-video-card-11g-p4-2281-kr?history_days=730 (it was for a short blip around May 2019, but I feel like the stores were like "we could sell this for higher and get more money")

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I did see EVGA and ASUS have a $999 2080 Ti variant*. And while I believe both used a blower style card, I could've sworn EVGA had a "Black edition" card that used their custom cooler. EVGA also had other GPUs at MSRP when the FE price was higher.

*https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pK...ck-video-card-11g-p4-2281-kr?history_days=730 (it was for a short blip around May 2019, but I feel like the stores were like "we could sell this for higher and get more money")
That's exactly what happened. When they saw everyone else selling it for more, they jumped on that bandwagon so fast...
Greed, yo.
The 2080Ti should've been 1000USD, but almost no one followed the msrp.
I'm afraid the same thing may happen here with the 30 series, but we can only hope.

That's exactly what happened. When they saw everyone else selling it for more, they jumped on that bandwagon so fast...
Greed, yo.
The 2080Ti should've been 1000USD, but almost no one followed the msrp.
I'm afraid the same thing may happen here with the 30 series, but we can only hope.
Buy directly from the manufacturer if you can. EVGA's at least good about not price gouging

Today was very anoyying my store said first come first served but walked into store to find out they been handing out reseve tickets for these GPU and website went down at 14PM. I bought one from ebuyer at midnight only to be cancled due to stock issues. People are selling them on Ebay for loads but luckey enough some websites in uk got them on pre orders now and my GPU is due to deliver to store today I think. Also heard that people fighting back and doing fake bids so that they end there listings

Last edited:

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Some of the ebay prices are people trolling. Guess it is a thing. You raise your price a bunch then there is some trick to cancel it after the auction is done.

I just hope people give Nvidia a lot of crap on it. This should have been done differently, and all of the sites that posted these without captcha protection, or some anti botting suck as well.

This is just like all the scalper issues. None of these corps care about customers, and they make money no matter who buys it. We need to let them know we are pissed, and they need to change or we will take our business elsewhere.

I just hope people give Nvidia a lot of crap on it. This should have been done differently, and all of the sites that posted these without captcha protection, or some anti botting suck as well.

This is just like all the scalper issues. None of these corps care about customers, and they make money no matter who buys it. We need to let them know we are pissed, and they need to change or we will take our business elsewhere.
So be mad at the stores. NVIDIA can't tell them how to run their store. It'd be just as bad if NVIDIA tries to force a condition, say install CAPTCHA, on store fronts that don't have it in order to sell their cards. I equate that to Apple forcing third party repair shops into a contract to buy spare parts at a "fair" price.

These stores still have to buy stuff from manufacturers to put on their shelves. They don't come in as an IOU if it gets sold.

Aside from that, enthusiasts aren't the only ones who want cards. Plenty of system builders lined up for them too and they'll get priority over enthusiasts looking to swap parts.

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
So be mad at the stores. NVIDIA can't tell them how to run their store. It'd be just as bad if NVIDIA tries to force a condition, say install CAPTCHA, on store fronts that don't have it in order to sell their cards. I equate that to Apple forcing third party repair shops into a contract to buy spare parts at a "fair" price.

These stores still have to buy stuff from manufacturers to put on their shelves. They don't come in as an IOU if it gets sold.

Aside from that, enthusiasts aren't the only ones who want cards. Plenty of system builders lined up for them too and they'll get priority over enthusiasts looking to swap parts.

I am mad at both because nvidia's site did the same thing.

Oh and system builders generally don't buy from retailers. They have a distributor account with someone and get them that way. Buying from a retailer as a system builder is a ridiculous way to do it.

You sound like you don't think this was almost entirely bot purchased.