News RTX 3080 Graphics Cards Are Sold Out Minutes After Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oh and system builders generally don't buy from retailers. They have a distributor account with someone and get them that way. Buying from a retailer as a system builder is a ridiculous way to do it.

You sound like you don't think this was almost entirely bot purchased.
The way I worded it sounded strange, but I did mean that system builders order from the manufacturer too and they get priority over stores who want them. And I'm not discounting that bots purchased the entire online stock. Again, NVIDIA can't force stores to do something as an agreement to sell the card without backlash. But yes, NVIDIA could've done a CAPTCHA or bot prevention system too, but eh.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I bought one for 5 bucks at the flea market. Problem is that I'm now stuck in the year 1955 and there's no power source capable of delivering that kind of electricity.

xrobwx71

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I waited overnight at Microcenter, was about 25th in line. Manager comes out at 8am and says there is only going to be 11 cards available today. We got home at about 8:45am and logged into all of the sites smashing refresh over and over, only for them to literally go from "notify me" to "out of stock" with no inbetween. This was an absolute joke of a launch. Nvidia giving no stock to actual in store consumers (Microcenter) is the biggest joke of all, literally sold them to bots w/ zero barrier so they could scalp them for 3x+the cost(which I honestly hope is a joke, cause anyone willing to spend $1500+ clearly should wait a week for 3090's). Most likely on purpose so they can inflate the cost past MSRP in a month but seem like a savior when they come in cheaper than the scalpers.

ebay-giga-rtx-3080.png

I will try to do that this time around, after seeing what AMD delivers.

I also need to wait for liquid cooler compatibility.

Considering AMD adjusted their pricing I am not so confident that they will do anything more than they have been doing which is matching nVidias 70 series or beating it and maybe matching the 80 series. Especially with the performance the 3080 is putting out at 4K. But I mean you can get 16GB of VRAM over 10GB so there is that.

I do not see them beating the 90 easily.

Now if they do pull out a miracle on ice and beat the bejebus out of nVidia I will be all for it. Should spur some price drops.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Considering AMD adjusted their pricing I am not so confident that they will do anything more than they have been doing which is matching nVidias 70 series or beating it and maybe matching the 80 series. Especially with the performance the 3080 is putting out at 4K. But I mean you can get 16GB of VRAM over 10GB so there is that.

I do not see them beating the 90 easily.

Now if they do pull out a miracle on ice and beat the bejebus out of nVidia I will be all for it. Should spur some price drops.
I'm not expecting them to rock the boat with the 3090, much less touch it, but if they can match the 3080/Ti with reasonable pricing, I'm all for it too.

Stores need to limit on how many people can buy things in the store and shops when it comes to new GPU days but all stores want is Money so if someone says I buy the lot then thats it!
There's limits to how well this works too. Some people already have multiple or dummy accounts to get around item limits, for example.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Everyone seems to forget that every major gaming console and iPhone release seems to happen exactly in the same way, but here we are - 'surprised' that this could happen.

I remember the original Wii was getting bought up and re-sold right before Christmas 2006. Most were selling at 2x-3x (or more) MSRP on Ebay.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It looks like Newegg did not even have all the models they had already posted picks for since their were only like 6 or so of the cards that had a actual price but says sold out on all of them. Example neither of the EVGA FTW series even show a price and that is what I was looking to buy since they were shorter.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Now I'm ready for all the HATE I will get for this!!!!!!!!!!

My personal opinion on all of this.

1. They can't make enough quality chips to cover demand so it was a very limited release.

2. The people that got some and put them on EBAY for a 50% price increase their absolutely nothing wrong with that although it did actually take stock from people that was actually going to buy one to use. For all you know they bought 3 are selling 2 for a 50% price increase to actually get their 3rd card for free that they are going to use. Not the best thing to do since it looks like a lot of people are hating on them for it but their in no way forcing you to buy it that is your decision.

3. The people that are biding the crazy 40K with absolutely no intention of paying that price on them should be made to pay it by EBAY that is to me a lot worse than the people selling the cards.

4. I don't see anybody crying foul on the PSU prices that have almost doubled because of the shortage. EDIT Supply and Demand just sux sometimes but it is a fact of life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
So be mad at the stores. NVIDIA can't tell them how to run their store. It'd be just as bad if NVIDIA tries to force a condition, say install CAPTCHA, on store fronts that don't have it in order to sell their cards. I equate that to Apple forcing third party repair shops into a contract to buy spare parts at a "fair" price.

These stores still have to buy stuff from manufacturers to put on their shelves. They don't come in as an IOU if it gets sold.

Aside from that, enthusiasts aren't the only ones who want cards. Plenty of system builders lined up for them too and they'll get priority over enthusiasts looking to swap parts.
The way I worded it sounded strange, but I did mean that system builders order from the manufacturer too and they get priority over stores who want them. And I'm not discounting that bots purchased the entire online stock. Again, NVIDIA can't force stores to do something as an agreement to sell the card without backlash. But yes, NVIDIA could've done a CAPTCHA or bot prevention system too, but eh.

What would stores do? Stop selling Nvidia? It should really be a market wide thing. This is an issue for everyone. Stopping bots and finding better ways to sell online for big launches would benefit everyone but scalpers.

I doubt it. If store fronts can't deal with counterfeiters and scalpers, I'm sure they can't deal with bots trying to take them down.

Stores can do my website just put on pre order only on each

1. They can't make enough quality chips to cover demand so it was a very limited release.

2. The people that got some and put them on EBAY for a 50% price increase their absolutely nothing wrong with that although it did actually take stock from people that was actually going to buy one to use. For all you know they bought 3 are selling 2 for a 50% price increase to actually get their 3rd card for free that they are going to use. Not the best thing to do since it looks like a lot of people are hating on them for it but their in no way forcing you to buy it that is your decision.

3. The people that are biding the crazy 40K with absolutely no intention of paying that price on them should be made to pay it by EBAY that is to me a lot worst than the people selling the cards.

My opinion is there should be an limit on websites and the stores on how many GPU they can buy because it not fair for the people that woke up early to get one, Only to find people just bought them to make profit!. The prices on ebay are bad because nearly same price as 3090. Also the fake bids half wrong and half right. But to be honest if the GPU was selling for 200 more on ebay and they got the order I would Buy but most of them are pre orders to sell for profit!

Everyone seems to forget that every major gaming console and iPhone release seems to happen exactly in the same way, but here we are - 'surprised' that this could happen.

I remember the original Wii was getting bought up and re-sold right before Christmas 2006. Most were selling at 2x-3x (or more) MSRP on Ebay.

Every major release these days. And for GPUs it is doubly bad since crypto currencies, some at least, still do well with GPUs. It was AMD. I remember when HD7970GHzs were being sold close to $1K a pop for that even used.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Stores can do my website just put on pre order only on each

My opinion is there should be an limit on websites and the stores on how many GPU they can buy because it not fair for the people that woke up early to get one, Only to find people just bought them to make profit!. The prices on ebay are bad because nearly same price as 3090. Also the fake bids half wrong and half right. But to be honest if the GPU was selling for 200 more on ebay and they got the order I would Buy but most of them are pre orders to sell for profit!

I did not see a single site that was taking pre orders correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

3. The people that are biding the crazy 40K with absolutely no intention of paying that price on them should be made to pay it by EBAY that is to me a lot worse than the people selling the cards.
1)I agree. It was a new process.
The shortage should be no surprise.

2)I agree with this too, but the move is still despicable.

3)What goes around, comes around eventually...
For every action, there is a reaction...
... whether positive or negative.

I'm not going to hate you for your opinions.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador