JackSparra

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
Hey folks, I'm looking to upgrade my wholly underpowered graphics card on a build I did in 2014. I currently can't afford a new system but a GPU boost would probably keep me going for a while yet and the machine was built with decent bits to begin with. I get that I'll probably need to upgrade the PSU, which is a Corsair RM750

The spec is:

INTEL i7-4770K CPU
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA 6
nVIDIA GTX 970 (i think 4Gb)
32Gb RAM
2x SDDs + 3x HDDs
DVD drive

If I tried to run that card (RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition) on this system, apart from possible PSU shortcomings, what else might cause an issue and/or bottleneck.
I use the machine for After Effects work & some video editing (premiere), as well as photoshop, the usual office apps and gaming.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

cheers

Solution
Hey folks, I'm looking to upgrade my wholly underpowered graphics card on a build I did in 2014. I currently can't afford a new system but a GPU boost would probably keep me going for a while yet and the machine was built with decent bits to begin with. I get that I'll probably need to upgrade the PSU, which is a Corsair RM750

The spec is:

INTEL i7-4770K CPU
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA 6
32Gb RAM
2x SDDs + 3x HDDs
DVD drive

If I tried to run that card (RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition) on this system, apart from possible PSU shortcomings, what else might cause an issue and/or bottleneck.
I use the machine for After Effects work & some video editing (premiere), as well as photoshop, the usual office apps and...

The spec is:

INTEL i7-4770K CPU
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA 6
32Gb RAM
2x SDDs + 3x HDDs
DVD drive

I use the machine for After Effects work & some video editing (premiere), as well as photoshop, the usual office apps and gaming.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

cheers
sure it will bottleneck but it's fine since it will perform to the cpu max performance in games, for after effects and premiere, they tend to use cpu rendering for most of the things, while the one that handles the effects are the cuda cores. so if you want a faster rendering time overall, you will need a good cpu. You would need a new psu if the gpu failed to run on full load with the pc will shut off immidiately, then you will need a new psu.

Solution