[SOLVED] RTX 4080 underperforming, and system only boots one out of five times ?

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Hey all!

A couple days ago I said screw it, and bought all new components as my pc was outdated.. however since putting it together I've had nothing but issues.

The first issue is only one out of five times the PC will boot, each time it doesn't post I get 1 long 3 short beeps with the VGA Light but with a successful boot that light disappears and it boots okay.

That being said my 4080 on any benchmark seems to fall below average, and compared to extremely similar builds its roughly 20fps+ lower.
During stress tests the card stays at a solid core clock of 2865MHz, stays at °59c and a solid 11202 Memory clock.
CPU, RAM and every other part seems to go above the average in performance.

Another issue is I get the "New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or fTPM/PSP NV structure changed." Every successful boot, however if I chose the Y option the pc fails to boot.

Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on? I've not build a pc in a little while but this has me stumped.

(UserBench mark for reference: Gigabyte GA-B650 AERO G Performance Results - UserBenchmark )

GPU: PNY GeForce RTX 4080 XLR8 Gaming OC 16G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8 Core AM5 4.5 GHz
MB: Gigabyte B650 Aero G AM5 ATX Motherboard
RAM: Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMH32GX5M2B5600Z36K
Vengeance RGB C36 5600MHz DDR5 RAM
PSU: Cooler Master V850w

Last edited:
Solution
In a quick read-through it would seem to indicate that you took the OS drive from a previous build and used it for this update?

Clean install Windows, if you can, and see if issues resolve.

On the BIOS thing, you should check compatibility on the motherboard website and update to the proper one. Instructions for doing so are typically well referenced on the website as well. Doesn't typically take a large USB, but often needs to be formatted a particular way. Most often have to download and then extract it to the USB drive, go to BIOS and the "flash" method of particular flavor based on manufacturer.

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: Cooler Master V850w
This unit is brand new?

Did you recycle any of your older storage drives(including the OS)? For the sake of relevance, did you populate slots A2 and B2 with the sticks of ram?

Another issue is I get the "New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or fTPM/PSP NV structure changed."
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? F2? If so, you have BIOS updates pending.

Reactions: ScaryXam

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Youre starting to make me realise I may be a little dumb ahah.

The PSU is not a new unit no, are you thinking a new one may be a good option?

I definitely used some of my old hard drives and the OS. Should I factory reset?

RAM sticks are definitely in the right slots.
Thats killed me in the past.

I've been trying to Upgrade BIOS but Ive had bad luck with getting a working USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to Upgrade BIOS but Ive had bad luck with getting a working USB.
I'd try the BIOS update. I've got a Gigabyte B650m gaming X AX board and have tried just about every BIOS version for it to get one that works without issues. Most won't post after a restart and require a complete shutdown, and others appear to work until I start a game then they crash every 5 minutes. In the past I've liked Gigabyte boards, but now I'm questioning if they actually test their different BIOS versions before releasing them.

Reactions: ScaryXam

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In a quick read-through it would seem to indicate that you took the OS drive from a previous build and used it for this update?

Clean install Windows, if you can, and see if issues resolve.

On the BIOS thing, you should check compatibility on the motherboard website and update to the proper one. Instructions for doing so are typically well referenced on the website as well. Doesn't typically take a large USB, but often needs to be formatted a particular way. Most often have to download and then extract it to the USB drive, go to BIOS and the "flash" method of particular flavor based on manufacturer.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
If the unit isn't new, how old is it? As for the drives, what are they? Pertaining to a reset, no, I'd do a clean install after recreating the bootable USB installer...but you also need to do that BIOS update if you have BIOS updates pending.

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Little update, I feel like a doofus.
I managed a BIOS update after a lot of messing around, it allowed for the pc to boot more times and to get a fresh install of windows in and now the card is scoring above average on most benchmarks and the PC is booting without error codes.

I have a new case and PSU on the way as I'm thinking the PSU is definitely holding it back a little bit since Lutfij mentioned it.
But for now I have a PC I can use!

Thank you all!

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech