Rumor: AMD's Single-GPU R9 390X Will Be Liquid Cooled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fkr

Splendid
if it is a small rad I can stick in that side intake (140mm) on my haf 912 that would be great. i guess the second would be mounted to the rear exhaust (120mm). that would leave me with one 200mm in the front and one 200mm in the top and that should be plenty with all of the gpu heat taken out of the case, back to silent gaming. my current CF 7950's (I run 1440p) make a hell of a noise while gaming and i have to use in ear headphones so i do not notice the noise or the kids.

There is always the chance. That's why I was wondering if it is 20nm or not as I find that aspect to be more important. If it is not then the 300 series is not going to be as good as the rumors because as it stands the 290X needs a lot of good cooling and if you add in 50% more everything (some of the rumors) while using the same core design it will just get hotter than hell.

It shows with Intels Netburst. The more GHz and cores added, the hotter it got as it was not a very efficient core design unlike say Haswell (at idle my PC is using about 24w which is pretty insane).

I guess rumors are always rumors and we wont know till much later.

Has anyone also considered that this AIO cooler might be fully built into the shroud? I have a 92mm radiator in my PC, and it could easily be reconfigured to fit inside my 7970...
If it used a radiator inside the card, then there would be no reason to use liquid cooling. The advantage of liquid cooling is to allow for a larger radiator or to move the heat to another location, but left inside the card at the same size, it has no real advantage.

silentorange18

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
for me NVIDIA did not need a LIQUID COOLER to cool down their GPU since MAXWELL is Very efficient GPU (performance per watts) this proved by thier first maxwell video card GTX 750 TI so why AMD did not try to manage to make their GPU less heat output but more performance ? mean NVIDIA is Unbeatable to this thing or AMD focus only on performance? not efficiency

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Not true. The actual processor on the board is the part that needs to stay cool. If they put the die on the far end of the board, and then used liquid tubes to move the heat quickly to the radiator at the other end, it could cool it better than just a big block of metal.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Come on let the war begin! I was thinking about getting Maxwell for sure since there is no news about AMD making new line up and how impressive Maxwell performance/power consumption was. But now I will wait untill both release their full line up. I want something decent that can max every game at fhd with approximately low power consumption.

G

What is all this BS from Nvidia fanboys claiming that because AMD is using an AIO cooler for the R9 390 series, therefore it uses a lot of power and it sucks. Where is the source to back it up?

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
The best card I ever had for the money was the HD 4870 that I got in mid 2009 for $150 new.
I had a HD 4890 1GB that I bought late 2009 for 130€ used, and it lasted me up to November last year. Best card I ever had for the money, but I'm very happy with my GTX760.

Gaidax

Distinguished
Hmm, to be honest I don't like it. I mean it sounds "cool" and all, but it also means that 390X will be pretty inefficient if it needs to go as far as having liquid cooling on the stock card.

Don't know if I like it or not, really, it almost seems as AMD will just try to brute force the problem instead of coming with actual new architecture like Nvidia.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I think they are trying there best to make a really good halo card than anything else. So long as it curb stumps the GTX 980 and comes in a good price point. Then I really don't care much about how "inefficient" it is. It's like going that corvette is nice but it only gets 17mpg in the city so I am going to use a Prius in the race because it gets 40mpg.

If 50w in power use breaks the bank, then please don't buy a $400-500 GPU.

Because0789

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I don't think anybody was saying that it sucks, just likely power hungry and hot.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Well a lot of them implied it sucked because they couldn't "match" NVidia with out coming out with an "insane water cooled thing".

silentorange18

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Why AMD plan to water cooled this card if not SUPPER HOT ? i dont get a reason why amd do it ?
oh well its still a leak so it more possibly true or false

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
sounds like NVidia will really have to pull out all the stops on their 980 if the 390X is some batshit insane liquid cooled thing

Not at all. AMD is the one doing the "batshit insane liquid cooled thing" because they no longer can compete with Nvidia on air and have to resort to extreme measures to keep their GPUs from melting.

tonga+ or whatever decent performance for less power and heat they appear to be working on low power but powerful GPUs

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I thought I heard that AMD was going with a 20nm but since it wasn't going to be done in the time frame they wanted they were trying a 28nm HPM node over the HP node they used on the 2xx series. guess the HPM node wasn't enough

anthony8989

Distinguished
Liquid cooling has been around forever, there's no innovation there.. It's a crutch. I am sad for the AMD engineers that have no budget to develop new more efficient technology. They're being forced to pair current tech with liquid cooling and OC it. Like the Vishera CPU / water bundle. Disappointing.

I'd like to have the option of liquid cooling my CPU/GPU - not forced on me.

The R9 295x2 was cool and very powerful, even a beautiful looking card, but c'mon. Now every flag ship AMD card is going to have an AOI liquid cooling system on it just to be able to compete.

No, it would not be better. Your radiator would be too small to dissipate as much heat as a simple HSF solution as you just shrunk the radiator and moved it to another corner of the shroud. Liquid cooling is every bit as reliant on the size of the radiator as the Heat Sink is reliant on size. If you don't increase the size or air flow, a liquid cooling loop does not improve anything.

Why do you think no one has ever done this idea? If it was advantageous, an aftermarket solution of this type would exist.

fanchiuho

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
sounds like NVidia will really have to pull out all the stops on their 980 if the 390X is some insane liquid cooled thing

Not at all. AMD is the one doing the "insane liquid cooled thing" because they no longer can compete with Nvidia on air and have to resort to extreme measures to keep their GPUs from melting.

If you extrapolated this from the FX-9590 vs. i7 fiasco then I'm sorry to say you're utterly wrong.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

I don't understand the Driver-argument. Poor drivers hasn't been the case with ATI/AMD for at least 10 years.

Do the following: Go to google.com, search for "display driver has stopped responding". And at the end you add Nvidia. How many hits do you get? Then you do the same with AMD. How many hits do you get?
In my experience, Nvidia drivers suck. Newer versions of drivers give poorer performance and all kinds of issues left and right. And I only just got the dam card. I've had ATI-cards for 15 years. I did have the original Geforce once upon a time. Thats when ATI last had driver issues IMHO.
The black-screen issue is not about drivers. It is about their partners (Sapphire etc) trying to be cheap in terms of components (but failing). And Nvidia has that same issue. Can't fix hardware limitations with software.

anthony8989

Distinguished
I don't understand the Driver-argument. Poor drivers hasn't been the case with ATI/AMD for at least 10 years.

Do the following: Go to google.com, search for "display driver has stopped responding". And at the end you add Nvidia. How many hits do you get? Then you do the same with AMD. How many hits do you get?
In my experience, Nvidia drivers suck. Newer versions of drivers give poorer performance and all kinds of issues left and right. And I only just got the dam card. I've had ATI-cards for 15 years. I did have the original Geforce once upon a time. Thats when ATI last had driver issues IMHO.
The black-screen issue is not about drivers. It is about their partners (Sapphire etc) trying to be cheap in terms of components (but failing). And Nvidia has that same issue. Can't fix hardware limitations with software.

Do the following: Google "BSoD Nvidia" then google "BSoD AMD" . How many hits you get?

And what does that prove? Google works in mysterious ways. FYI Sapphire is one of the best Radeon partners on the market. To me, it just sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
You guys realize that, the only reason they are doing liquid cooling is because, AMD cards produce so much heat. Where as Geforce cards, still use aircooling because they require less power and can still out perform many of AMDs cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.