Rumor: Dell May Purchase AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Forget Intel being pissed with dell. What about Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, Biostar, ECS, -FOXCON-, MSI, Jetway, Zotac... ect? Who'd they get their motherboards from then after they acquire AMD, and subsequently screw over every big Mobo maker out of a good bit of their enthusiast market?

Oh and to all you Intel fanboys. Benchmarks are like Piecharts, in the real world pie is for eating. Not jerking your E-peen. AMD is a superior product in it's value per unit. AMD makes brand new chips cheaper than Intel's 3yr old dried up stockpile of always getting smaller, also AMD has a clear upgrade roadmap, unlike Intel's policy of kicking out a new socket design every year or two. I'll be glad to put up with 80% of the performance for 30% of the price when I can buy 2 for the price of 1 and then end up with 120% or more of the raw real world power.

Not going to happen. But a little hype is good for the stock price.
A company like Dell would only be interested in buying AMD if they see that bulldozer is really good. If they know it's nothing compared to sandy bridge, I don't see them looking to buy AMD.

G

Anyone remember the AOL/Time Warner merger? Dell won't buy AMD for the same reason. No other OEM is going to buy AMD product, and Dell does not sell enough computers to meet AMD's current capacity. Further, Dell would naturally push Dell/AMD based products, reducing the volume (and volume pricing discount) on Intel products. Intel does not sell Intel brand computers for a reason.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]I don't think that Congress would allow this to happen as it would give Dell an unfair advantage in market share and their ability to leverage AMD to their advantage against their competitors.[/citation]
Sooooo... it would be illegal for, say, IBM to make chips (Power series), or HP to make chips (for mainframes or for mobile devices), or Samsung (for their smartphones)? Or for that matter Apple (who makes both the A4 chip and iOS)? Should it be illegal for a company that makes hardware to also make operating systems? (HP again with WebOS, and Apple again)...?

Yea OK I truly doubt this since Dell and Intel have been together for so long Intel will bring is mighty ax down on this real quick. If Dell wants to buy something they should look at Motorola that might help them get into the mobile world since they have had failure after failure in the mobile segment.

AMD is dieing they are barely hanging on by a thread seriously if Bulldozer goes bust there will be no more AMD as we know it.

G

Although, this does not bode well for AMD, as a company, AND DELL's legendary offshore call-in centers where, yes they speak English, but are not very helpful, particularly if one says, "I didn't understand that..." Please DELL, buy AMD and help us to get a bump in that price.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
What would be in it for Dell ? As a OEM, they need both Intel and AMD processors, AMD for budget mid end, and intel for expensive high-end.

Besides, I don't like the idea of someone that assembles computers to buy the second largest desktop CPU maker.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Well, if Dell buys AMD, looks like I won't be buying any more AMD products anymore. Too bad, I like AMD/ATI Radeon cards...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Dell would not be permitted to purchase AMD due to Anti-Trust and Fair Competition laws. With the possibility of Dell persuing a proprietary hardware configuration based around AMD hardware, there would be no competition for Intel, thus making Intel a monopoly. The FTC can't approve any buyout/merger that could lead to a monopoly as a result.

ltbob

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

BAD AMD!! >:C
IT should be the other way around!
AMD SHOULD BE BUYING DELL!!!!
Man if this happens.. I will have to.. -sadface-

f-14

Distinguished
ahahahaha a little birdie told me newegg was interested in aquiring dell.
interested in purchasing AMD. As of this writing, the chip manufacturer is worth around $6.5 billion
i would suspect that warren buffet or IBM would be more interested in buying AMD then dell! i mean come on it's only a measly 6.5 billion for them.
in other news:
Man ties machine on Day 1 of "Jeopardy!" showdown
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110215/tv_nm/us_ibm_jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.