Rumor: Dell May Purchase AMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
No I'm not an anti-trust expert... and I was going mostly off the cuff about some of the other things that have been shut down by Congress that made no sense to me... I'm sorry if I angered anyone, especially those who know more than ZERO percent about business acquisitions.

My real opinion: a purhcase of AMD from Dell would boost AMD at a time when having a strong financial backing (not saying AMD is weak by any stretch) would make sense. I just think Dell doesn't have as much to gain from such a deal but I'm sure they could make it work, too.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Ideally IBM "merges" with AMD and they retain the IBM name. Then AMD gets some R&D dollars, finally.[/citation]

That would rock actually...

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]Ugh AMD acquired by an OEM? No way![/citation]

The thing is that vertical monopolies are not illegal and are not barred by the Anti-Trust laws. Horizontal monopolies are illegal.

What does this mean? If a company controls each step of its product that is ok. For example... Apple (in the old days anyway). Or if you want to look way back... look at companies that owned farms, railroads, processing plants, distribution centers and retail outlets. As long as they weren't the only game in town, that was completely legal. What is not legal is one company controlling an entire product horizontally. For example, one company makes all the CPUs in the world. That would be illegal.

Even if Dell bought AMD and a few the other minor chip makers, it would still not be a monopoly because Intel would still offer competition.

What would probably not be ok, would be if Nvidia bought AMD (pretending it could), or if IBM stepped in and bought both AMD and Nvidia. That would give one company too much control over the GPU market.

But Dell buying AMD would be fine. It might give Dell a slight edge over HP, or it might not. HP could still buy Intel chips and chipsets. So while buying AMD might help Dell out, it does not help Dell out unfairly to the point that other people are driven out of the marketplace.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Ye, this is why Bloomberg isn't a tech oriented site. It makes no sense for Dell or any OEM to buy out AMD. Should an OEM need a chip designing firm, the market is getting really heated in the ARM space and they'd rather pursuit that to fight over the smartphone arena than to compete in a well established duopoly controlled by AMD and Intel (mainly Intel).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Would Dell be willing to damage the relationship with the premier maker, to get a low-end parts supplier? Would Dell's customers be OK with inferior products? [/citation]

Dude they are buying a dell wtf do you think. i mean dell only sold all intel parts when they weren't worth wiping my ass with. Besides that fact 99% of people buying an OEM computer could care less whats in it as long as some dude says it will do what they want so none of your argument makes any sense then to mindlessly bash AMD with your opinions.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]no, its buissness, if anything they would go after intel. [/citation]

And this makes so little sense i don't even know where its coming from.. Why would dell buy a huge company worth god knows how much more just to get into the cpu market.. you don't buy the biggest companies you buy small cheaper ones and turn them into big companies.

[citation][nom]SAAIELLO[/nom]AMD is dieing they are barely hanging on by a thread seriously if Bulldozer goes bust there will be no more AMD as we know it.[/citation]

Yeah and people like you haven't said that about any company not doing its best at any given time and i have yet to see any said company fail just because someone thinks they will.. AMD isn't gunna go anywhere just like intel didn't go anywhere just like a lot of companies didn't go anywhere. AMD will always have a market just like intel will always have a market.

I don't know about you people but i like having cpu's that cost 4x less then intels parts. Hell the only time i can normally see the difference is in a benchmark in real world use you would have to be a strung out fanboy to notice.. Hell i knew AMD was faster then any p4 part ever made but using both i couldn't really tell. But then i was more like the tards here o man intels gunna go under cuz they can make 1337 cpus anymore zomgz! then i grew up. But still cant tell. so ill pay $250 or less for a cpu that for anything i do personally is going to perform as good as a $1000 counterpart from another company. Even if none of this was true and Dell really wanted to buy AMD everyone should be against it. There isn't any logic that says that would be a good thing.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Who the hell started this rumor lol, retarted amd fanboy ? Quote: . "We have some customers and retailers who have come to us specifically as a result of Intel's chip problem," YEAH RIGHT who would be enough stupid to not wait for Intel chip fix and go amd LOL WOW.

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Lol way to funny way to rise rumours, thank you Tom's.

There is absolutely no way Dell buys AMD, it's not Dell's core business, it's like if Apple bought IBM PowerPC, by buying it they steal all innovation and new products research due they will be tied to their plans not what the market demands.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
The moment that Dell buys AMD is the day that i throw out my PC and go for Intel's Sandy Bridge.

We all agree that Dell sucks ass!!!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
AMD is ok. They are doing the right strategy, I would totally buy AMD right now. They are just so small that the amount of risk they take seems disproportionate. Adding ATI IP to their products will pay out in the end, and if the rumors are true about them pursuing ARM based chip, they will be on solid ground since they have competitive technology and good human capital.

I am more worried about Intel, if they feel too wedded to x86 they could go down ... in 5 years !

G

let's all just hope this never happens, if Dell buys AMD CPUs and GPUs of the future will die instantly, just like alienware

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Dude they are buying a dell wtf do you think. i mean dell only sold all intel parts when they weren't worth wiping my ass with. Besides that fact 99% of people buying an OEM computer could care less whats in it as long as some dude says it will do what they want so none of your argument makes any sense then to mindlessly bash AMD with your opinions.And this makes so little sense i don't even know where its coming from.. .[/citation]

Clearly, you don't know anything about computers, so I'll try to help you. You know businesses buy computers right? When you get a job, you'll be able to verify this, but you'll have to trust me on this. IT people know the difference between AMD and Intel. Intel simply is better, and IT people know it. Are you saying Dell would be willing to give up all those sales? Plain ignorant.

Even consumers have heard of Intel. Do they all know the difference? No. Do they have a warm fuzzy feeling Intel is better? A lot do. Some don't.

The point is, between businesses and consumers who like Intel, it would be a disaster for Dell. Not everyone would care, but even if 30% would (and it would likely be much more, considering business purchases), Dell would never even consider it.

On top of all this, Dell would gain the reputation for having poor performing machines, because none of their machines could match the performance of Intel based machines at the high end. That's not a good reputation to have.

Like it or not, Intel does have brand recognition, and that by itself matters. On top of that, their processors are much better. Add the two up, and Dell wouldn't walk away from Intel. There's just no way.

ocre

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]i'd be surprised if dell had the cash to buy amd, not to mention their nearly lineup is nearly all intel and i doubt intel would be willing to make a deal for their competition to sell their (admittedly) better laptop cpu lineup.If you ask me, this is just a 'news' article meant to spread rumors and screw with stock prices, i doubt dell would ever really consider such a thing[/citation]

Actually dell has more than enough money to buy AMD. They actually have $13.4bn in cash and equivalents currently speaking and even if you balanced out the short and long term debt they still have $7.4b free. AMD should sell for at a little over 6b according to analyst. Or shall i say it would be worth a little over 6b if it sold today.

I dont for a second believe dell is out to buy AMD, most of this is comes from a recent wall street rumor and it was dell that sort of helped the creation of this rumor by talks of acquisitions. Dell even spoke to Bloomberg and claimed openly they were looking to do acquisitions in software, cloud computing, storage, virtualization, and data centers. Top this with all the upper management exits at AMD and a natural easy fit is dell buying them out. This is where it all came from and i doubt its dell that will buy AMD. But it does appear AMD is up to something....

And a buyout is a real possibility, i doubt it is dell who will. Especially when AMD said just a few months ago that they wasnt considering selling the company but they were surely interested in hearing some serious offers.....you know just for kicks and giggles, lol!!! I think Oracle was just looking to buy a chip maker just a little while ago, why it looks like they could be buying AMD.....see anyone can connect dots!!! and Oracle was very specific with the chip maker part. I am just saying its easy to speculate and draw up crap but what can really be noted in all this is that there currently may be something up with AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.