Rumor: GTX 880 to Launch Mid-September

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

at the very least i'm seeing the repeat of what happen to kepler. most likely the big maxwell will come up as 900 series. also pricing is depends on how well amd can compete with nvidia. they drop 780 price because of 290X/290. if amd can't come fast enough to counter nvidia we might see another 650 card that should cost 500 in the first place

i think the first article talking about 880 will launch in september is coming from videocardz. in the original article it is mentioned the 880 is GTX770 successor and not 780/780Ti. with that many people assume that 880 performance will be less than 780 Ti. then the article author change some of the wording in the article to clarify that 880 will be 770 successor PCB wise and not performance wise.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If it's supposed to be a 770 successor, then it should be called the 870, and
priced accordingly. Otherwise, why bother?

I agree with jay2tall, it still feels like NVIDIA is chucking out crippled products each
time. They could be better, but deliberately are not. And now it looks like the
performance overlap between 700 and 800 cards is going to be even worse than
the overlap between 600s and 700s. It makes a nonsense of the model names used.

We haven't had anything akin to the real sea change brought by cards such
as the 8800GT, GTX 460 or 580 in a long time. I simply can't count the top-end
700s because the prices are just insane. If the 880 is slower than a 780 Ti,
I don't see the point of it at all, whatever card it's supposed to be replacing.

People inevitably use model names to make a snap judgement; an 880 that's
slower than a 780 Ti (with even more crippled FP64 by all accounts) will I'm
sure be seen by most as a disappointment.

I'd been hoping the 880 release would shove some 780 Tis onto the used market,
but that's not going to happen if this report is true.

Also surprised it'll only have 4GB RAM. Hardly future proof for 4K. What is NVIDIA
smoking?? There's clear opportunity here for AMD to hammer NVIDIA hard in the
next round.

Ian.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
If its not 20-30% faster then the Ti I'm skipping the 800 series all together. This mark up price of the fastest single GPU is ridiculous. The 780Ti does not impress me at all. So anything slower then that i rather wait. Not wasting $700+ on something slow that can barely run at 2560x1440.

AUShollowpoint

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Quit your attacks on this card. As we have seen the x80 is no longer the flagship card. Gigabyte claims 2 of these will use less than 450w so they should be a bit more efficient than 7xx. The only downside I see in it is the 256 bit bus. If you own a 780 or 780ti then this card is not for you. There will be a new flag ship on 20nm later. But like most people I will not be upgrading my 780 until 9xx or what ever they call it. And yes the cards are overkill for 1080. But even now at 1440 I'm finding I could use more power / ram. I look forward to this card not to buy but to see what maxwell can do knowing that big daddy 20nm will be around the corner. I think price and performance will be great if your looking to upgrade from anything under a 680 or looking to build new. This should also push the price of 780's/ti's down and I might go sli

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Release 880 that sit between 780 & 780ti, release 870 to replace 780.

discontinue 780/780ti = go EOL, major price drop Titan black edition to be the new flag ship = $799 = higher than $699, price drop titan Z to $2499.

smaller chip GM204= more profit margin, premium price for big die chip = titan black

Just as Planned.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Also surprised it'll only have 4GB RAM. Hardly future proof for 4K. What is NVIDIA
next round.

Ian.

Considering that this GPU doesnt have enough horsepower to run upcoming AAA 4k games, I dont think thats much of a consideration. Besides, if you notice, AMD/Nvidia generally release a GPU based on the original with twice the memory for their premium product. So, 8GB in Nvidia's case. Still waiting for wide availability of the 8GB 290X---Overclockers UK had a limited run of an 8GB one, but AMD still hasnt officially released one.

If it's supposed to be a 770 successor, then it should be called the 870, and
priced accordingly. Otherwise, why bother?

the article at videocardz said PCB wise. but i think most people agree the more accurate term will be direct successor to GK104. just like GK104 is successor to GF104/114 in GTX460/560.

I agree with jay2tall, it still feels like NVIDIA is chucking out crippled products each
time. They could be better, but deliberately are not. And now it looks like the
performance overlap between 700 and 800 cards is going to be even worse than
the overlap between 600s and 700s. It makes a nonsense of the model names used.

We haven't had anything akin to the real sea change brought by cards such
as the 8800GT, GTX 460 or 580 in a long time. I simply can't count the top-end
700s because the prices are just insane. If the 880 is slower than a 780 Ti,
I don't see the point of it at all, whatever card it's supposed to be replacing.

it depends on how the competition doing as well. instead of coming out with the big gun from the get go they try to match competitor performance and play the card wisely to maximize profit. if you want nvidia to show their big gun from the get go we need AMD to play their part to force nvidia to do it. well at the very least i still believe 880 will be faster than 780Ti.

People inevitably use model names to make a snap judgement; an 880 that's
slower than a 780 Ti (with even more crippled FP64 by all accounts) will I'm
sure be seen by most as a disappointment.

i don't know if nvidia going to cripple maxwell's FP64 performance much worse than kepler but for gaming purpose so far there is no use for it yet. and even AMD is start doing what nvidia do in that regard. with hawaii the FP64 is limited to 1/8 compared to 1/4 on the tahiti.

next round.

well about that i think nvidia giving the partner a chance to come up with the 8GB variant so they (board partner) can make more profit. also most likely only titan line up will get such gigantic amount of VRAM on reference design.

honestly i dare to bet that titan black will never got price drop even if the new flagship will outclass it significantly on performance.

this is based on TSMC very mature 28nm node. i don't think availability will be much of an issue. they might paper launch the card by a week or two but gigabyte will coming up with custom cooled card from the get go. so that's mean the chip has been available to board partner for quite sometime to enable them to get their custom card out from the very beginning.

TechieNewbie

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Not wanting to go too boring and obvious with my two cents, but I think it behooves people preemptively dismissing the 880 (and 800 series in general) to wait and see what the launch says about pricing, memory bus, performance over the 780 etc. etc. More than likely, many will wait for the lower end of the 800 series and either go for a long overdue single card upgrade (I know I'm personally going to upgrade my 6850 this time around) or put a few 870's/860's in SLI and talk about having better performance for half the price. But then that's nothing new, along with the desire for a new series bringing AT LEAST twice the performance over the last series (but honestly, if you're really waiting for that to happen then I have some terrible news for you).

If anything, I'm becoming more interested in how much videocard RAM will affect gaming since games like Watchdogs seem to be more dependent on the amount of GDDR you have as opposed to the power of the GPU architecture. I wonder how soon it will be before we see 12gb of ram regularly packed onto cards. But now I'm kind of rambling and lost my train of thought :p

johnathanl

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Why do you all think Nvidia is a charity and should give away video cards for free? They price there product according to what people are willing to pay for it. If you can't afford it and complain about the pricing, the product was never intended for you.

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
If it is as thrifty as the 750Ti I might be interested as it will mean I can get a new GPU without upgrading my PSU. Then again, if unlike the 750Ti, this card supports SLi I might as well just bite the bullet! A

All that provided its price tag is around $450-470. Anymore than that and I'm skipping it all together.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Really? So where is the 6GB 780 Ti then? No such thing, because NV thought (wrongly IMO) it would
harm Titan sales. Totally lame.

johnathanl writes:
> Why do you all think Nvidia is a charity and should give away video cards for free? ...

Wow, way to jump right to the extreme end of a concept that nobody actually agrees with. :D

My point was that it's been a long time since the value attraction of cards like the ones I
mentioned has happened again. Absolute pricing for GPUs has gone up a lot in recent years.
I remember the howls of doom over the cost of the 8800 GTX, then the 480, etc., but the
whole 700 series has shoved pricing way up, so that today's mainstream is a lot more
expensive than the way the GTX 460 was positioned when it first came out.

Ian.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Really? So where is the 6GB 780 Ti then? No such thing, because NV thought (wrongly IMO) it would
harm Titan sales. Totally lame."

The Titan Black is a 6GB 780ti. Yeah, overpriced, I agree, but thats what it is.

It seems so many people miss the true purpose of this update: "REAL" 4k support. the card will most likely carry HDMI 2.0, finally allowing native 4k support at 60Hz.

Given Nvidia's recent change of naming scheme, something called the 880 would be closer to mid-range than a flagship. we want to wait for the 880 Ti, the 880 Ti black, the Titan 2.0, and some sort of super-ultimate Titan PLUS

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

the super awesome 880 Titan Ti rainbow dash ultimate edition extreme+?
offering 2% performance improvement at quadruple the price!

no. for those that want true successor to high end GK110 they will wait for 900 series (or what ever nvidia wants to called it in the future). even if there is 880Ti i believe those will be based on GM204 as well

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
People have been complaining that they haven't needed to upgrade. I think the problem is that developers (a) want to hit as wide a market as possible, which means playing nice with the gt 650m's or HD 4xxx's of the world, as well as (b) just that it takes a developer lot of time to make super high quality, detailed environments in need of heavy duty hardware. Or am I just out to lunch?

Consoles *cough cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.