Rumor: GTX 880 to Launch Mid-September

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Given that Maxwell has ungodly efficiency, I'm hoping that the flag ship 880 GTX's will only require one 8-pin connector. At worst I'm expect 6+6 (for overclocking options).

If Nvidia released a statement that outlined their road map for the 800 Series and told us what to expect in the high end cards, I would have nothing to say. If they told us the GTX880 is the direct replacement for the GTX770(or 780 which it is not), whatever, but there will be a Titan 2 based on 20nm with 512bit memory bus with a more gaming targeted card, a GTX880Ti (20nm) or GTX880 Ultra, I wouldn't have much else to say.

I personally want to PLAN my next upgrade and get the card that best suits my requirements... desires.. DESIRE! I am willing to bet they would sell more cards sooner if people knew what to expect. People don't want to jump on a GTX880 without knowing what's coming down the road in the darkness. However, like someone said, if someone is coming from a GTX660 or GTX570, something in that lower tier or older gen a GTX880 at $450 may be just wonderful and they don't need to know whats in the higher tiers. However, there are a lot of us with GTX680's or GTX770's (same dang card) that WANT to know what the top dog will be in the 800 Series.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
People have been complaining that they haven't needed to upgrade. I think the problem is that developers (a) want to hit as wide a market as possible, which means playing nice with the gt 650m's or HD 4xxx's of the world, as well as (b) just that it takes a developer lot of time to make super high quality, detailed environments in need of heavy duty hardware. Or am I just out to lunch?
Agree there. Too bad there are all those rumors of Crytek. As much as the story wasn't particularly too in depth. They did have amazing visuals and IMO the first Crysis still contends with any game atm, and that's from 2007!

Out of PC of course I enjoy story driven games, or gameplay focused games, but boy do I salivate when I see a huge upgrade on graphics when certain games come out that make everything else at the time look like it's technology from 3 generations ago =P. That's what I wait for!

seithan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Tbh this 880 is not a gen up. Its essentially a more power-efficient 780. I have an oced 670 and skipped the 780 as the fps gain wasnt much enough for me. The new gen is about the same power-wise so im skipping this "gen" aswell while waiting the 9xx in about a year, maybe less than that.

Nope. In gamescom they will reveal the card (probably paperlaunch) and in september they are gonna release them.
A GIGABYTE exec already confirmed it.

isn't that Quadro and tesla usually comes much later after the chip being used in GeForce line up? as far as i can remember kepler based quadro (GK104) only comes after nvidia launching GTX680. the only exception so far is GK110. and since this new 880 will use GM204 instead of GM210 it is likely we see GeForce line up first before we see Quadro or Tesla. also if you have been following the stories for a while there is a lot of speculation that nvidia will have new card in Q3 or Q4 this year. the latest speculation was september release which reinforced by Gigabyte rep that saying they will launch custom GTX880 by late september or early october

seithan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
At te moment, everything pointing that the 880 is a 780 rebranding with more RAM. If thats the case, there won't be anything faster to play with unless suddenly AMD releases a new gen.

no it's not. rebrand usually same card with different name like 7970Ghz and 280X. 880 will be maxwell based. you don't say GTX460 is GTX285 rebrand just because the performance is the same.

If it turns out to be a Maxwell card on 28nm how can that be a rebrand?

seithan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
You are correct. What i wanted to say is, that they are probably offering a new gen card with little to no difference compared to the current line up.

Again, how so? If it's a different architecture and the 750Ti is anything to go by it could be faster than the current Kepler cards or more energy efficient or perhaps a little of both, bearing in mind that the architecture was allegedly designed for 20nm. At the end of the day what are you expecting? It's only going to put on a monitor or four anyways, just like all the cards that have come before it.

oxiide

Distinguished
I think this card will be around $400 - $500. Maybe an slight update of 780 and 780 Ti? We'll wait for the Announcement of NVIDIA why they made this card and on what purpose why specs are like that.
I'm just going to venture my own answer to to this:

Sounds like they have to release more 28 nm Maxwell cards, which will necessarily have more modest performance improvements than their plans for 20 nm had.

Simultaneously, while the 780 Ti is in an alright place (for one of the fastest video cards available), the vanilla 780 is overpriced against the R9 290. I think there's room for serious improvement in the $500-and-below space for Nvidia, where AMD is undercutting them left and right. A $450 28 nm GTX 880 might go far to alleviate that.

So this sounds like more of a value/efficiency launch than a pure performance launch.

Slatteew

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Still not worth replacing my GTX 690. :-(

It will when the new crop of games needs more than 2GB of texture memory (GTX690 is two 680s on one card, with 4GB total memory, 2GB effective). Watch Dogs maxed out needs 3GB, for example. Wolfenstein I think, too.

Yes, RAGE was the same. id Tech 5 engine has such amazing textures compared to all other engines, and those textures take up so much graphics memory that there is actually an option to compress graphics textures in the vram. 2gb was not enough for Wolfenstein maxed out on my R9 270X, and could not use my 2nd R9 270X either as Wolfenstein does not support Crossfire at the moment. With the new Doom game on the horizon, and the unveiling of id Tech 6 engine, we are going to need to beef up graphics memory to effectively play some games at max settings on high end cards.

Chris Bradshaw

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Nvidia actually uses a 384 bit memory bus in their high end cards.
Nonetheless, I believe that having a smaller bus allows nvidia to have higher clocked RAM. For instance, the gtx780ti has a bus width of 384 and a memory clock at 7000MHz effective. The r9 290/290x have a bus width of 512 and a clock of 5000MHz.

neither of these figures really matter becasue a high bandwidth is more important.

The bandwidth of the GTX780ti is (384/8)*7, which equals 336 GB/s
The r9 290 x is (512/8)*5, which equals 320 GB/s

So, to conclude, having a smaller bus width actually allows the high end cards to have a faster bandwidth than AMD.

:D :D :D :D

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Its kinda worth the upgrade to buy 2 for SLI coming from 2 gtx 770 4GBs like myself..only small issue is that gpu cooling will most likely be mandatory if you want you card to last and i know its silly but i kida wish it was 5GB Vram

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

youre right it is silly :p But a vanilla minimum of 3 GB, preferably 4 GB for a GTX 870 would make this launch.

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
I also hope the EVGA version is among the first to be released. Gotta stick the brand i feel most comfortable with. But the main reason I want to replace my two 4GB 770's is to be able to continue playing on ultra settings when i purchase a ROG Swift PG278Q this month for my current games and all the AAA titles coming October - November Cant Wait! :)

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Its just FUD that we don't need more memory bandwidth when there's stacked DRAM coming with insane amounts of BW. What do you think is holding back 4k or in few years 8k?? Its memory.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
The concern is,is there an HDMI 2.0 onboard. 4k is good with displayport 1.2, but only the Panasonic 4k tv has it. So basically, if you want to do 4k, you can only do it with a monitor, or a 3000$ tv.

This. I don't give a hoot for performance over my 770 either. Tbh if a 870 = 770 + HDMI 2.0 ports, I'll get one and sell the 770 unless they can somehow SLI(unlikely).

I take it you are also gunning for a Samsung UE<inches>HU6900?
40 or 55 for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.