Rumor: Radeon R9-290X-X2 to Bring Double the Hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I'm just seriously wondering how they'll handle the card's thermal envelope with two GPUs on the same board. I'd imagine to get good results it's going to need a water block.

If this is remotely true, they better work on their reference coolers first! The ones on the 290 will obviously not work, and the 3 fan reference not so much either.
If this is true and they can deal with the thermal issues that should end the era of dual gpu cards form AMD being sub par.

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I think people are forgetting that the 290 series are made to run at 95 degrees, I dont think AMD will push the thermal anymore than that so this is a non issue.
What I want to know is the price, make it $699 (same as 780 Ti) and I'll sell a kidney for it in a heart beat.

If someone had the money and desire for such a card, the 400+ watts would not be an issue.

itzsnypah

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I meant cooling solution wise. All of AMD official dual-chip cards have only shipped with reference coolers. Given AMD's track record with reference coolers being very poor I doubt they could even produce a dual-slot cooler capable of efficiently cooling 400W+.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
its probably gonna run severely underclocker if they run it on air, if not then maybe like asus'es ROG Ares II. but shouldn't the name be something like R9-290X^2 or R9-580X^2? just saying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.