Jul 26, 2022
I have a laptop and a portable monitor I'm trying to connect together using a USB-C hub so I quickly just plug in only one cord into my laptop so I can get to work. Ideally, any non-tech savvy colleague can pick it up, plug one thing in, and just start working. I think my solutions are either/and/or 1) I need a hub that has a power-out USB-A port for my portable monitor 2) I need a computer charger and hub with at least 83 watts (if that's possible)? Please correct me and offer any suggestions after reviewing my setup and what I tried to do.

Laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen 2 Type 20TA):
--only 1 USB-C (thunderbolt 4) and I'd like to use it for the connection hub, otherwise I need it to charge my laptop (and laptop doesn't have other charging ports).
--Max resolution is 1920 x 1080.
--Refresh rate is 60 Hz, and I cannot find a way to decrease it in my advanced display settings.
--I currently have a 65W charger that connects through the USB-C port. Dell Does make an option for 45 watts.

Portable monitor (Innoview https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097MZGZ2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1):
--2 usb-c w/full function, 1 mini HDMI
--resolution 1920 x 1080.
--Refresh rate is 60 Hz, and I can find a way to decrease it in my advanced display settings.
--uses a 18W charger to wall (works via a USB-C to USB-A cable with USB-A end going into charger). This is what I do if I can't use the USB-C from monitor to computer

I've used the Anker USB-C hub https://www.anker.com/products/a8365?variant=37438670667926 product and wasn't able to achieve my initially stated goal. I tried the following with no success 1) using USB-C only (changing the USB-C ports in the hub that I placed the portable monitor and my laptop into 2) using the following 2 connections: HDMI into anker hub; USB-C to USB-A into the anker hub (the latter is for power since when I connect the latter into my laptop instead of the hub, it works). I called Anker and they said they don't make any "hubs" (doesn't include "docks") with "USB-A power out". I also noticed that the current Anker hub I bought already equals the max amount of wattage on my charger (65W) so there would be no excess power for the monitor to use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
I have an idea!

Just make it like the following:

HDMI into Anker Hub

USB-A into a powerbank

Powerbank into anker Hub (For Charging, powerbank is used to power external display)

And finally: Anker Hub into Laptop

Then:

Mark one USB-C slot with a flash icon. This will be the charging port.

Done!

If you want to charge the system: plug the charger into wall outlet and then plug charging cable into that slot previously marked with the flash.

Now the laptop and the powerbank will charge.

Jul 26, 2022
I have an idea!

HDMI into Anker Hub

USB-A into a powerbank

Powerbank into anker Hub (For Charging, powerbank is used to power external display)

Then:

Done!

If you want to charge the system: plug the charger into wall outlet and then plug charging cable into that slot previously marked with the flash.

Jul 26, 2022
I have an idea!

HDMI into Anker Hub

USB-A into a powerbank

Then:

Done!

Ah, i forgot something

You need to make sure that the charger has enough power to charge the complete system in a reasonable time

And

You need to know that when you pull out the charging cable the the powerbank will still draw power from the laptop, but as i understand what you said, the laptop doesn't give enough power for the display. So you may want to choose a powerbank that has enough capacity to continuously run that display, or otherwise the powerbank will shutdown very soon and the display goes off...

Jul 26, 2022
Ah, i forgot something

You need to make sure that the charger has enough power to charge the complete system in a reasonable time

And

You need to know that when you pull out the charging cable the the powerbank will still draw power from the laptop, but as i understand what you said, the laptop doesn't give enough power for the display. So you may want to choose a powerbank that has enough capacity to continuously run that display, or otherwise the powerbank will shutdown very soon and the display goes off...

Thanks for the suggestion! I think that may work, but on one hand I think it would be easier to tell someone to just plug the usb A into the computer, as to not worry about the power bank! Do you know if someone makes a hub with a USB-A power out?
Or I don’t know if there’s a easily transportable (and not too expensive) thunderbolt 4 / usb - c dock (not hub) where I could somehow by a thunderbolt cord from my computer.