Question Running 3 graphics cards

jeffnc

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I put together a new PC with some old parts and some new. The motherboard is an MSI B760, Windows 10. I've got some GeForce GTX 1070 cards laying around I'd like to use. I'm also putting together a racing sim rig and I also happen to have some matching displays laying around I'd like to use in a 3 display system.

So my question is, can I hook up the graphics cards so each is actually powering a display? I've seen videos on how to setup Windows so it will display across 3 displays, but they are all using a single graphics card. I'm hoping to utilize the power of all 3 rather than buying a new card.

You would have to have a use case for the 3 cards that could actually handle 3 cards.
Unfortunately, SLI and other multiGPU support has been all but eliminated from modern software (and hardware).
You could certainly use the extra GPUs to run extra monitors, but not really for gaming.
You would be better off selling the extra GPUs.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

jeffnc

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Grrr. I have a love/hate relationship with this hobby. It's like the industry is designed to make things obsolete as soon as you buy them.

But, I think you're right. Actually after I posted that I tried to put all 3 cards in. There are 5 slots, yet I could not quite squeeze in that third card just because of the configuration.

Well, I decided to go ahead and buy a RTX 3060 card. Hopefully I can sell the 3 1070s to pay for it. It does work with my 3 monitors nicely, but I had to get DisplayPort to HDMI adapters because my monitors don't take DisplayPort. Fortunately the card is DisplayPort++ so I could use the passive adapters, but still another $60! It just never ends.

Thanks for the reply.