rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi all,

Attempting to get the rated spec from my RAM. (see sig) Im just getting into OC'ing so go easy on me!

I began by looking at the cpu. Adjusted the bclk up to 150 to give me a clock of 3ghz. I then just set the dram frequency to 1600mhz in the BIOS and the system (while running alittle too hot, because of stock cooling) was stable.

Ive decided to leave the cpu alone, at least until I sort out a new cooler, and would rather just get my ram running at the rated spec (1600) Obviously, at the moment its at 1066mhz, which is the default. Ive been searching around and have found some good guides, like this one
So i thought it would be as simple as leaving my cpu alone and just selecting the 1600mhz frequency in the BIOS. Nope. After afew minutes doing just light work in windows, I got lockups requiring a reboot.

So, in short, will I have to up the bclk in order run the RAM at the top speed? If so, to what. And are there any other BIOS settings that I would need to tweak to achieve this safely?

Solution

Yep give it a go!
simon12 is correct you definitely have to increase your dram probably to 1.65v.
Does your bios not have a XMP profile?
I know the Asus bios is a little different then Gigabyte's but on a Giggy only two bios adjustments are necessary to run ram at specified speed.
XMP enabled and Dram voltage adjusted.

rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Im not at home at the moment but the only adjustment I made was to set the ram at 1600mz instead of 1066. Then when I was in windows, i experienced lockups. I havent touched any voltage settings. My bios have an XMP profile. So its just a matter of setting the AI Tweaker to XMP and increase the voltage to 1.65?

Yep give it a go!

Solution

rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Have run this setup over the past few days and it seems to be fine. No freezes or crashes so far. Windows is reporting ram running at 1600.

Thanks for the help! :)