[SOLVED] Running warm on 1st watercooled build

Aug 15, 2020
First build and not too impressed with the cooling performance. The CPU is running not that much cooler then it did with an air cooled evo 212 lol. Any ideas is anything is wrong with this set up, I would like cooler temps for CPU. This is one loop with GPU and CPU combined. Under my usual heavy use GPU temps are around mid to low 30c while CPU is in in the 60-70c range

Dual 360 x 27 mm radiator
PR15 DDC pump

i7 9700k (not overclocked)
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO
EVGA 1080TI(not overclocked)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Toshiba NVMe 512BG

Fan:
TOP 3 BeQuiet 120mm(intake)
SIDE 3 Lian Li 120mm(exhaust)
BOTTOM 3 Lian Li 120mm(intake)

Don’t thing any other components are relevant

double triple checked the thermal paste on cpu , fan curve doesn’t have much effect on temps. Pump is running of the molex connector at full speed. The whole loop set is thermaltake’s c360 kit plus an additional 360 rad.

any help would be appreciated
qobo6dS.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
I would like cooler temps for CPU. This is one loop with GPU and CPU combined. Under my usual heavy use GPU temps are around mid to low 30c while CPU is in in the 60-70c range
And the issue is? You have a cpu well capable at stock settings of seeing 150w output. That's heat in the cores where the sensor is. It takes time for that heat to travel through the die, through the Tim, through the IHS, through the paste, through the block, into the fins to be absorbed by coolant. The temps are sampled at 256ms. As long as the temp is controlled, it's fine, with a custom loop temp isn't the priority that it is with an aircooler.

With the discrepancy between cpu and gpu, I'd be looking at block setup. Many blocks have jetplates under the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid temp isn't 'running away'.
The fan setup is a little off, though. Top intake to side exhaust, which yields the likelihood of looping: Once it has left the influence of the fans, heat rises, and that presents the scenario for the top intake fans to suck that heat right back in.
Bottom fans don't do much of anything in this chassis, as it's too restrictive; they're really just there for show.

As for the cpu temps, someone else would need to chime in on that one.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Aug 15, 2020
Liquid temp isn't 'running away'.

What are you talking about ?

lol

fan are set up as top intake to get the coolest air flow through the top radiator. Side exhaust (mostly for show) bus should flow plenty of cool ambient air across the rad since I am not using the side cover as you can see in the pic

There isn’t much if any “heat” circulating or looping. Clearly you don’t have a lot of knowledge as to what is going on; not in this particular case. Thanks for you input I guess

lol

fan are set up as top intake to get the coolest air flow through the top radiator. Side exhaust (mostly for show) bus should flow plenty of cool ambient air across the rad since I am not using the side cover as you can see in the pic

There isn’t much if any “heat” circulating or looping. Clearly you don’t have a lot of knowledge as to what is going on; not in this particular case. Thanks for you input I guess

Clearly you don't have a lot of knowledge on effective case cooling, having top fans as intakes is generally not done. By the looks of things you've also gone for a case that doesn't allow for a front radiator that takes in cooler intake air.

And the fact that you have to run with the side cover off is to mitigate your poor case airflow. Not sure your somewhat impolite response was entirely well placed given all of the above.

Aug 15, 2020
thanks i actually do not know much that's why i'm here... so far all i'm getting is a lot of response on air flow, while it is relevant not so much so in a case that is open and is water cooled.

simply put GPU and CPU in the same loop. GPU at mid 30's ,water temp is in the to low 30's while the CPU is mid to high 60's

i don't have a flow counter/indicator can anyone chime in if the loop is too restrictive for one pump? i would assume not since the water temp is low

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

lol

Was that really necessary?
I know I don't have the best way with words around here, but still...

-You've never heard of thermal runaway. It's not an issue currently, as it would mean your blocks aren't mounted properly, or air would be trapped in the loop.
-You don't appear to be aware of the behavior of warm and cool air - a subject of thermodynamics, BTW - when it's under the influence of external forces(fan) and when it's not. Naturally, warm air rises, cool air descends.
-You claim there's no heat circulating or looping, inside what's literally a partially open box(chassis). The air inside said box is going to be warmer compared to your room, even if one side is open, and the liquid will never be lower than the temp of the air in that box.
-Your chassis appears to be prioritized for show, with the way you have the system set up, yet you're having an issue with thermals...
-You question my knowledge of the current situation... but at the same time, you showed everyone viewing this thread that you didn't do all your homework on custom liquid, which happens a lot; people want to rush it when it shouldn't be.

I know the weaknesses of the O11 Dynamic, and the bottom serves no real purpose for cooling, and any fans or radiators users put there will be more for show.
What minuscule bits of air those bottom fans DO manage to get through, either is escaping right out the open side window, or gets pulled right out by the side-bottom exhaust fan, accomplishing much of nothing.
The top and the side are the ones actually doing anything, but you have them working against the natural order of convection, which tends to be less effective than actually following it.
Under heavy load, there's 300w of heat(gpu) being relocated, some of which is passing through the cpu...

Hopefully, one of the liquid cooling experts will chime in for you.

thanks i actually do not know much that's why i'm here... so far all i'm getting is a lot of response on air flow, while it is relevant not so much so in a case that is open and is water cooled.

Running with the case open is not going to help, you need to set up your system so that you can run with the case closed for maximum airflow inside the case. So the replies are relevant. You are telling people whose expertise you want that their answers are not going to be relevant. You know so much, sort it out yourself then.

For someone who doesn't know so much and is here for help, your attitude leaves something to be desired, especially given your response to one of the most knowledgeable and respected forum members.

I see Phaaze has responded, he has more patience than me because I won't be further.

Nothing worse than those who seek help yet at the same time, have a stinker of an attitude.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I would like cooler temps for CPU. This is one loop with GPU and CPU combined. Under my usual heavy use GPU temps are around mid to low 30c while CPU is in in the 60-70c range
And the issue is? You have a cpu well capable at stock settings of seeing 150w output. That's heat in the cores where the sensor is. It takes time for that heat to travel through the die, through the Tim, through the IHS, through the paste, through the block, into the fins to be absorbed by coolant. The temps are sampled at 256ms. As long as the temp is controlled, it's fine, with a custom loop temp isn't the priority that it is with an aircooler.

With the discrepancy between cpu and gpu, I'd be looking at block setup. Many blocks have jetplates under the intake side, to force coolant into the fins. If you got it backwards, it'll not be as effective.

Running with the case open is not going to help, you need to set up your system so that you can run with the case closed for maximum airflow inside the case.
It's a full custom loop. It's not air cooler cooled. With 2x 360mm rads, there's more than enough rad area that even with a lousy airflow case, temps won't change much, if any. Airflow in a full custom loop is a secondary concern, not a primary concern.

Normally I'd say loop order doesn't matter, but from the looks, I'm questioning that fact. Pump to 360mm to 360mm to cpu to gpu to res.
Makes me question just how efficient or affective that 2nd top rad is since the side rad is doing the lions share of heat dissipation. Coolant is more of a medium of transportation than anything. It pucks up the energy transmitted by the blocks and moves it to the heat exchangers which then absorb it out of the coolant. It takes a huge amount of energy to raise the coolant temp by even 1°C. So loops are in a constant battle to stay at ambient temps. You really aren't doing much cooling, more moving. So if a cpu is at 60, it's at 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution