[SOLVED] RX 470 drivers problem

lukasus201010

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
Hello everyone!
So I recently got my hands on RX 470 strix 4GB second hand. I have had alredy RX 480 sapphire inside my PC and i wanted to try Crossfire.
After I installed drivers for both of them my old RX 480 seems to work well, while new RX 470 gives 0 Mhz clock reads both in GPU-Z and afterburner.
GPU-Z says crossfire disabled. I tried to flash BIOS and all sort of different drivers. Even atikmdag patcher didnt work. I also tried it on my second PC with exactly the same result.
My specs:
MB GA-EX58-UD4P, updated with last bios.
CPU XEON x5650@ default stock
MEMORY 3x 2 GB DDR3 + 3x 4 GB DDR3 (18 GB Total)
PSU ExcelVan
2 SSD 1HDD
RX 480 sapphire 8GB + RX 470 strix 4GB

Solution
Two things to keep into account before we go further. First, you absolutely shouldn't be doing this on a weird dodgy off-brand PSU (this cheapo company known for fake 80+ badges and trying to steal Corsair designs). Second, keep in mind before you start that there's no actual good reason to do this; multi-GPU solutions are essentially dead in 2020 and when working, they scale horribly. And even worse in your case because if you get CrossfireX working, you'll essentially have two 470s, meaning that in games that scale poorly or don't support multi-GPU at all, you'll actually have worse performance than a single 480.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Two things to keep into account before we go further. First, you absolutely shouldn't be doing this on a weird dodgy off-brand PSU (this cheapo company known for fake 80+ badges and trying to steal Corsair designs). Second, keep in mind before you start that there's no actual good reason to do this; multi-GPU solutions are essentially dead in 2020 and when working, they scale horribly. And even worse in your case because if you get CrossfireX working, you'll essentially have two 470s, meaning that in games that scale poorly or don't support multi-GPU at all, you'll actually have worse performance than a single 480.

Reactions: ChumP
Solution