Question RX 480 4GB runs fine after PC restart but then starts stuttering and GPU usage fluctuates after few mins of gaming but temps are good. Please Help !

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
ive been having this issue for around a month or two now, I can start playing a game, DayZ, Battlefield, PUBG for example then after about 10-15 mins of playing the GPU usage will start jumping all over the place and my game will start stuttering, the GPU temp only reaches around 75C . i can however restart my PC and it fixes the problem ( for about 10 mins) then it does the same thing... I've tried everything to fix it including
  • Uninstalled drivers using DDU and fresh updated to latest driver (helped some but nowhere near enough to call it a fix)
  • Flashed Vbios (once again it helped some but not enough)
  • Reinstalled windows ( didnt help at all)
-Deleted Xbox Apps in windows
- PC is plugged straight into wall outlet not a faulty power strip
-Moved OS and AMD software to a Solid State Drive

Im starting to think that this could be 1 to 2 things.. My power supply could be going bad because GPU wattage in game fluctuates from 105W (thats when its running butter smooth) to 10-15-30ish Watts during Stutter increments. keep in mind i get butter smooth FPS when its NOT stuttering, OR my Graphics Card could just be dying for some strange reason. This is what i havent tried yet..
  • Re seating GPU
  • Testing GPU in different build
  • Trying a different GPU in my build

Im really hoping that this is a Software or windows 10 problem, This is so frustrating and ive been racking my head trying to figure out what the problem is... Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh yeah and here is my system specs
AMD RYZEN 1600 O'C to 3.7Ghz
PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB
8GB Ripjaws V 2400MHZ ram OC'ed to 3200MHZ
Antec 620W HCG PSU
MSI b350 pro gaming Motherboard

Yes so 75 is close enough for the gpu safety parameters to kick in and start throttling your gpu. That is why it runs fine for a while after a restart, the gpu has cooled enough when shut down, and throttles again when it warms back up. 80c is it maximum temp allowed so 75 is enough to slow it down, 80 would shut it down.

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Yes so 75 is close enough for the gpu safety parameters to kick in and start throttling your gpu. That is why it runs fine for a while after a restart, the gpu has cooled enough when shut down, and throttles again when it warms back up. 80c is it maximum temp allowed so 75 is enough to slow it down, 80 would shut it down.
Thats the highest temp ive seen it at, most the time it stays around 69-70

That temperature is fine. My overclocked 480 runs at like 75-77c and doesn't throttle.
Even if I set my fans to a minimum and my temps go to 82c, my gpu doesn't throttle at all.
Still, I would monitor clocks using something like MSI afterburner and make sure its not throttling.

Last edited:

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
If your GPU isn't overheating then reapplying paste isn't going to solve everything.

If you max out the GPU power limit, does GPU frequency stay stable under load?

What is max CPU temp, as reported by AMD Ryzen Master? What is max RAM usage?
I maxed out the power limit to 130% but that didnt help either, my cpu stays around 75c and my ram usage is around 6.7- 7.5 Gigs under full load