Question Rx 480 coil whine then shut down?

Avacadoee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
I built my brother a pc from mostly spare parts that I had a while back and one of them was a bricked, I bricked it trying to change it to an rx 580, rx 480 that I had unbricked by changing the firmware from windows to the correct one. The card is fine and working now and goes through stress tests and such but certain games, he's told me, will crash the computer AKA make the driver unrecognizable and goes to a black screen. One of the games that shows this instantly, Ghostrunner, will make the card have an extremely loud coil whine and make the driver unrecognizable. When stress testing the card there seems to be no coil whine so I'm honestly confused as to why the game does this. I was going to end up playing around with it and change the firmware and such and see if that helps but I wanted to see if there has been any like cases that people have run into.

tldr- Loud choil whine when opening up a specific game which ends in a black screen and the computer unresponsive while the gpu fans ramp up to max. This also happens in other specific games randomly.
Card- MSI RX480 Gaming X 4gb

Hi again, okay the specs seem pretty OK to me. No issues with that rig. So I'm going to assume that the GPU might be at fault here. Though, can this card be tested using some other PSU model, if possible ?

Oh BTW, keep checking your Email's SPAM/bulk folder as well, if you don't get any new inbox notification or alert for any post made here on Tom's HW forums. It happens with me as well, but not sure if this applies to you and others as well. But most of the times I don't get them directly on my INBOX, but spam folder instead. Figured this out long back though.

Avacadoee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
Hi again, okay the specs seem pretty OK to me. No issues with that rig. So I'm going to assume that the GPU might be at fault here. Though, can this card be tested using some other PSU model, if possible ?

Oh BTW, keep checking your Email's SPAM/bulk folder as well, if you don't get any new inbox notification or alert for any post made here on Tom's HW forums. It happens with me as well, but not sure if this applies to you and others as well. But most of the times I don't get them directly on my INBOX, but spam folder instead. Figured this out long back though.
yes, i tested it with my working computer (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gQFR4d) and the same thing happened. I tried underclocking it and turning down the memory clock as well but it didnt affect it. I have basically given up, I changed the vbios again like I was speculating it was but other than almost bricking it again because of an incompatible vbios, thank god for windows safe mode, it didn't change anything as well. But what from what i have gathered the gpu is just plain faulty, do not know why and cannot figure out why as there is basically nothing on the internet on this specific problem.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.