[SOLVED] RX 570 driver causing black screen and freezing

Jan 15, 2021
Hey,

When i have the RX 570 Driver installed if i do anything slightly intensive such as open chrome or launch a game such as rust- my pc will freeze for a second then go black for a few seconds and then back to normal with chrome, but in the case of games such as rust the game crashes.

But when i uninstall the amd driver and used the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter the issue never happens, i can launch chrome and any games perfectly fine (With decreased performance ofc).

I have tried a full windows reinstall and drive wipe, i have also tried to do a full driver clean with ddu- issue still occurs

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for my english not being amazing it is not my first language.

Whole pc is brand new except for my psu which is a corsair xc600 - i know the psu isnt the issue as i changed out and tried my brothers brand new psu (also 600w) and the issue still occured.

Solution
Hey,

When i have the RX 570 Driver installed if i do anything slightly intensive such as open chrome or launch a game such as rust- my pc will freeze for a second then go black for a few seconds and then back to normal with chrome, but in the case of games such as rust the game crashes.

But when i uninstall the amd driver and used the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter the issue never happens, i can launch chrome and any games perfectly fine (With decreased performance ofc).

I have tried a full windows reinstall and drive wipe, i have also tried to do a full driver clean with ddu- issue still occurs

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for my english not being amazing it is not my first language.

Whole pc is brand new...
Hey,

Whole pc is brand new except for my psu which is a corsair xc600 - i know the psu isnt the issue as i changed out and tried my brothers brand new psu (also 600w) and the issue still occured.

The fact that it works ok, but with reduced performance, on the generic driver would seem to indicate a heat issue. How old is the card ? If it's still under warranty I would RMA it for replacement.

If the warranty is up on it I would dismount the heatsink fan assembly, clean it, and apply some fresh thermal paste to the core and new thermal pads were appropriate. Make sure to measure the thermal pads on an area where they are not crushed by contact with the ram or vrm and order that thickness....you may need more than one thickness.

Solution
Jan 15, 2021
The fact that it works ok, but with reduced performance, on the generic driver would seem to indicate a heat issue. How old is the card ? If it's still under warranty I would RMA it for replacement.

If the warranty is up on it I would dismount the heatsink fan assembly, clean it, and apply some fresh thermal paste to the core and new thermal pads were appropriate. Make sure to measure the thermal pads on an area where they are not crushed by contact with the ram or vrm and order that thickness....you may need more than one thickness.
the gpu is brand new- 1 week old

and by decreased performance i mean no performance - doesnt run games it should

TRENDING THREADS