[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT still crashing, but it’s not overheating?

Sep 6, 2019
Greetings!

A few months ago I purchased RX 5700 XT having hopes for great performance, and I get great performance (for about 3 minutes.) When I play games with demanding loads such as Mordhau, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Rainbow 6 Siege my computer will crash within 2-3 minutes of loading in the game (but it will load the menus for all of the games.) I initially thought that this would was caused by overheating, I’ve seen all the reviews, and all of them had to at least been playing for 3-4 hours before overheating, but mine just switches off in about 2 minutes. In order to fix this problem I purchased an ID-Cooling 120VGA liquid GPU cooler, to no avail.

According to Radeon Settings: Global Wattman, I average 45-50 degrees Celsius on Mordhau and Total War: Three Kingdoms, and still experiencing crashes.
Before installing the GPU Liquid cooler, I was able to play low demanding games like Minecraft and League of Legends without experiencing crashes (reason why I believed it was a thermal issue to begin with.)
With still crashing at a relatively low temperature this led my to believe it was a premature drivers to blame, and two days from this post there was a recent driver update, so I tried a driver cleaning (using DDU) and installed the new drivers that were released two ago, and still did not solve my issue.
Unless the brand new drivers are still to blame I assumed the issue was a problem with Windows 10 recognizing Dual monitors with different update frequencies (because when I only used one monitor my games lasted about 8 minutes before crashing.)

Right now I am running through Windows 10 compatible issues. I’m gonna try to reset my CMOs, I’ll give updates later.

Specs:
GPU: RX 5700 XT (ID-Cooling 120VGA liquid cooler)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 6 cores (Stock Wraith Cooler)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 16 gb DDR4 (8gb x 2)
PSU: 650 watts
Mother Board: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
Storage: 1TB HDD

(I will be copy and pasting this around in different forums by the way :^O)

Last edited: