[SOLVED] RX 580 | Can't enter BIOS, no POST screen, but everything works fine in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2018
Hi,

I'd like to know whats going on with my system. Tried every basic troubleshooting suggestions I could find but nothing solved the issue. ie CMOS reset, 1 DIMM slot at the time, Fast Boot disabling etc.

Below are the hardware specs. I think the rest of the components are irrelevant but let me know if needed.

PSU: Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus 80+ Gold 650W
motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
RAM: TeamGroup 3200MHz 2x8GB
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition OC 8 GB
Display: ACER ED242QR

Issue:
Turning on the PC when the RX 580 card is installed, I can't enter the bios or just can't see it. The POST screen isn't showing up either. The first thing is the Win login screen I can see. The card itself works perfectly aside from this. Can play games, benchmark, render etc..
I had an old NVIDIA GT 210 and after properly removing the RX card, properly resetting CMOS by removing battery, installed it and it runs fine. Can enter BIOS, see POST screen etc.
GPUs are connected via HDMI to display in both cases.
Can't even boot up a live Linux environment with the RX. It just skips to Win login.
Can't get to UEFI mode by holding SHIFT and seleting restart in Win.
Fast boot is disabled both in Win and BIOS.

I appreciate any advice.

Solution
I have a similar issue and also have a xfx 580 and this monitor ( black 144hz version). When I connect with HDMI, the post skips the bios and goes straight to Windows. I have tried other and cards I have and still have same problem. My motherboard lits up the VGA status LED and still loads Windows. Displayport works ok but only with CSM enabled and I can enter the bios. I thought it was my system but then I tested with a different monitor (hdmi only) and other video cards and everything is working fine with that monitor. I can enter bios and disable CSM. I sent my monitor in for repairs since I have flicker issues plus this input issues. I have thi sissue since I got my new CPU/motherboard. My older system didn't have issues probably...
Dec 17, 2018
The BIOS is 1 month old, but I can flash it if putting in the NVIDA card again.. takes time. Didn't notice there is a new one. Booting into UEFI from Win always fails.
There is an additional thing that I don't really understand why is it happening. When restarting the PC for whatever reason display is not picking up signal before Win login screen. I'll update

Reactions: vnayrp
Dec 17, 2018
Flashed newest system BIOS. Issue still persists. There is another thread with same problem, the guy used a converter cable and solved it. Looking at my GPU&monitor ports, which converter would you recommend?

Sep 20, 2019
I have a similar issue and also have a xfx 580 and this monitor ( black 144hz version). When I connect with HDMI, the post skips the bios and goes straight to Windows. I have tried other and cards I have and still have same problem. My motherboard lits up the VGA status LED and still loads Windows. Displayport works ok but only with CSM enabled and I can enter the bios. I thought it was my system but then I tested with a different monitor (hdmi only) and other video cards and everything is working fine with that monitor. I can enter bios and disable CSM. I sent my monitor in for repairs since I have flicker issues plus this input issues. I have thi sissue since I got my new CPU/motherboard. My older system didn't have issues probably since it is a legacy bios system.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Pro WiFi
GPU: XFX rx 580 GTR 8gb
Ram: 2x8 gb Ballistix Elite
Psu: 850W Corsair RM850
Monitor: Acer ed242qr abidpx 24 in 144hz
Other gpus tested: Sapphire 280 and rx 480 8gb nitro

Solution

Dallazino

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
I have a similar issue and also have a xfx 580 and this monitor ( black 144hz version). When I connect with HDMI, the post skips the bios and goes straight to Windows. I have tried other and cards I have and still have same problem. My motherboard lits up the VGA status LED and still loads Windows. Displayport works ok but only with CSM enabled and I can enter the bios. I thought it was my system but then I tested with a different monitor (hdmi only) and other video cards and everything is working fine with that monitor. I can enter bios and disable CSM. I sent my monitor in for repairs since I have flicker issues plus this input issues. I have thi sissue since I got my new CPU/motherboard. My older system didn't have issues probably since it is a legacy bios system.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Pro WiFi
GPU: XFX rx 580 GTR 8gb
Ram: 2x8 gb Ballistix Elite
Psu: 850W Corsair RM850
Monitor: Acer ed242qr abidpx 24 in 144hz
Other gpus tested: Sapphire 280 and rx 480 8gb nitro

Heyy kinda off topic, but I wanted to ask about your GPU, is it holding up okay ? I'm kinda not 100% sure about xfx GPU even tho one is on its own to me. And idk if I should return it within 14 days, soo are there any heat issues ? Or any blackscreens/ screen tearing moments anything at all ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.