[SOLVED] Rx 580 How to set fans at 0 RPM when idle?

Apr 11, 2021
Hi.
I'm noticing they are always on, even on idle. It won't let you set them bellow 20% in the wattman, and it won't work if you try to set them to zero using Afterburner.
I've already tried that "save your config, then edit the .xml and change false to true" thing with no luck, and yes, i did load it twice.
Is it there a secret way i'm missing or something?
Card is an Assrock rx 580 8gb Phantom Gaming Oc with the latest WHQL drivers

Last edited:
Solution
The card's firmware dictates what the minimum fan speed/% its fan controller will allow. If your card only allows a minimum of 20%, 20% is the least you can get. Cards that can turn off their fans at low loads usually have some extra marketing gibberish in their model name about it.

InvalidError

Titan
The card's firmware dictates what the minimum fan speed/% its fan controller will allow. If your card only allows a minimum of 20%, 20% is the least you can get. Cards that can turn off their fans at low loads usually have some extra marketing gibberish in their model name about it.

Solution
Apr 11, 2021
that sounds pretty scummy tbh. the best part is that i have had this card for like 3 years and i'm noticing it just now

Apr 11, 2021
Not seeing the 'scummy' thing about a GPU not designed to run at zero-fan making sure it does not accidentally run at zero-fan by enforcing a minimum fan speed. My HD5770 didn't allow less than 30% and neither does my GTX1050.
i mean, if you're already being given the option to customize your fan's behaviour, one would think you can also set them to zero