Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
PC Specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-VDH
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8) 3200mhz
Storage: Western Digital Blue 7200RPM 1TB HDD
PSU: 600w Bronze Rated. Cannot remember all the specs, my Uncle says it was a first-party seller from our Local Microcenter. Will find the box for it if needed.

Recently, I came home from college. Anytime I do a big move that involves bringing my PC with me, I typically remove the GPU from the motherboard to avoid any connector pin damage or frame damage. Around, I believe, Monday, November 9th, I was put into quarantine while I was at school. I was moved to an off campus isolation center and brought my computer with me. Same procedure removed the GPU and plugged it back in within an hour or so. Two weeks later, I took it apart again, it sat around in its box for a couple of days, then I put it back together after bringing it home.

I have a growing concern, as it seems the performance in some games is suffering extremely. Rainbow Six Siege, which I played on Ultra settings at around 90-100fps, is now having continuous stuttering fits that drop it down to around 30-60fps. Black Ops Cold War, which I played at low to medium settings on a heavily reduced resolution, is now playing at about 10-15fps slower overall. Even a game as simple as World of Tanks Blitz, the mobile version of the game that runs just fine on my old laptop, is now having huge stuttering fits. World of Tanks PC edition seems to be the only game that has gone unaffected, and I run that on Ultra settings getting anywhere from 80-120fps(depends on the map).

I have bad internet at home, which I originally thought could be packet loss, but when I played Dead Ops Arcade in Cold War on a private server, there was an icon in the top right corner indicating an FPS problem. I haven't taken the computer apart to visually inspect it just yet, wanted to probe the internet, see if anyone had any ideas.

Before anyone asks, I'll answer the question: I remove the GPU from the system because my house is located in a rural area. The roads get quite bumpy, and it was a suggestion by my uncle that has turned into a habit. If the trip is like an hour or longer, I tend to remove the GPU. I can fully understand that removing it and reconnecting it could cause some wear and tear, but it just came out of nowhere and seemed so abrupt.

Edit: Took the GPU out real quick, dusted it and the PCI-E x16 out. Still having performance issues, regardless of graphics.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello there!

Firstly this may not have anything to do with the move.

Load up system restore and see if anything big has been installed it should say something like a Windows Update, Redist Package, or some driver install being installed.

Maybe try rolling back one day, I've done this many times to fix issues that arise the next day I use a system that was perfectly working the previous day.

With issues like this, I also look at GPU drivers as sometimes Windows loves go sneak in a driver update thou I myself have disabled everything I can find that allows it to do so. Try finding the second most recent driver and installing that one after wiping the previous.

You spoke about the PSU and any bronze rated PSU that has no name im...
Hello there!

Firstly this may not have anything to do with the move.

Load up system restore and see if anything big has been installed it should say something like a Windows Update, Redist Package, or some driver install being installed.

Maybe try rolling back one day, I've done this many times to fix issues that arise the next day I use a system that was perfectly working the previous day.

With issues like this, I also look at GPU drivers as sometimes Windows loves go sneak in a driver update thou I myself have disabled everything I can find that allows it to do so. Try finding the second most recent driver and installing that one after wiping the previous.

You spoke about the PSU and any bronze rated PSU that has no name im seeing as cheapo one. Most just 'click' off when the work gets too tough but also sometimes your parts just go dead slow and the desktop/games feel sluggish.

Hopefully, we can find a fix for this as I've been there and it's a real eyesore.

Solution