[SOLVED] RX 590 not underclocking ?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Heyo
I've decided to build a small crypto rig, I'm just getting started with this and I don't plan on becoming rich or getting a huge rig mainly because I can't really use cryptos for anything where I live and I don't know how to transform them into real money.
My rig consists of 2 MSI RX 590 cards (new), a Supermicro C7Z97-OCE mobo, i3-4330 CPU and a hard drive of course, everything powered by a Corsair RM850.

What I want is to underclock and hopefully undervolt, but it's not working with Afterburner, I've enabled voltage monitoring and control and set it to "Extended MSI" but the cards won't undervolt, same goes for frequency, I've set it to 1100MHz but the cards keep power throttling, hit about 1240MHz and keep fluctuating, everything seems to be working fine except for that and the problem is that I must set the fans to 100% to prevent the temps from going over 75 ºC.
I've also set the GPU Workload to "Compute" and disabled AMD Crossfire in the drivers settings but I'm clueless about what's going on with the frequency and voltage, the cards are unmodified, no weird VBIOSes installed or edited power curves.

Can anyone help me?

By the way I'm using the Nice Hash software to mine because it's the easiest I could find.

Solution
voltage went from 1.11 to 0.94 and that lowered temps by 15ºC, that's great

could use more finetuning but it's working fine so far and the frequency stopped jumping up and down :wahoo:
If you do voltage adjustments (with AMD Adrenalin - Performance - Tuning), make sure you've got advanced control and manual voltage enabled. That way you're directly entering the voltage for each performance state/frequency instead of sliding a bar that is essentially an offset from the stock freq/voltage curve. Sounds like you're monitoring frequency, but make sure to keep a close eye on that if you're sliding sliders. The goal isn't to lower BOTH voltage and frequency, it's to lower voltage but retain frequency.

AMD/Nvidia/Intel may brag...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Uninstall Afterburner.

Use AMD Settings - Performance tab - Tuning
  • Set tuning control to manual
  • Enable GPU tuning
  • Enable gpu advanced control
  • Enable manual voltage
  • Enable VRAM tuning
  • Enable vram advanced control
  • Enable vram manual voltage
Thanks I've tried using the drivers settings and it seems to be working so far, the fan control is a bit wacky though as it's a curve design and not a fixed slider but I think I'll manage. Temps are in the high 60s range now

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
bring temps down by adding an intake and output fan lower voltage even if only slightly.
I'm using a box fan to blow fresh air inside because the case is an old office midtower and has no fans at all

could use more finetuning but it's working fine so far and the frequency stopped jumping up and down :wahoo:

Reactions: spentshells
I'm using a box fan to blow fresh air inside because the case is an old office midtower and has no fans at all

wow thats amazing temps change,

Right now I've got a fury x blowing hot air into this room.

If you do voltage adjustments (with AMD Adrenalin - Performance - Tuning), make sure you've got advanced control and manual voltage enabled. That way you're directly entering the voltage for each performance state/frequency instead of sliding a bar that is essentially an offset from the stock freq/voltage curve. Sounds like you're monitoring frequency, but make sure to keep a close eye on that if you're sliding sliders. The goal isn't to lower BOTH voltage and frequency, it's to lower voltage but retain frequency.

AMD/Nvidia/Intel may brag all they want about "smart voltage curve blah blah blah", but that level of PER-CHIP granularity hasn't been reached yet (to my knowledge). They still operate on a "batch" frequency/voltage curve that encompasses most/all products they ship for that SKU (aka, worst-case scenario). The amount of safety factor between that stock freq/voltage curve and the one your personal chip actually needs to run stable varies by silicon lottery and fab process consistency.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021

AMD/Nvidia/Intel may brag all they want about "smart voltage curve blah blah blah", but that level of PER-CHIP granularity hasn't been reached yet (to my knowledge). They still operate on a "batch" frequency/voltage curve that encompasses most/all products they ship for that SKU (aka, worst-case scenario). The amount of safety factor between that stock freq/voltage curve and the one your personal chip actually needs to run stable varies by silicon lottery and fab process consistency.

Thx, I did. I've never liked curves for voltages, fans or whatever, I was able to bump it to 1250 so far keeping the same mV, the stock was 1565 but the temps skyrocket when constantly running at that speed. Using the same settings for both cards is working so far
VRAM temps aren't showing up anywhere but I've set the cards to compute mode and the speed remains at 2000MHz.

jDKWczv.png

Oh, also make sure you set VRAM tuning to enabled, vram advanced control to on, and vram voltage to manual. I my VRAM is stable at 2000MHz down to 940mV. That VRAM voltage setting sets a lower limit to the core voltage (since the core and VRAM receive the same voltage actually)