Question RX 6600 microstuttering in some games, some not.

lazacat

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2017
My RX 6600 keeps stuttering on some games and some not at all. I would list some examples but I really don't know where to start from, but what I can say is that AAA gaming is with no issues at all but if I try to play some different games it starts stuttering. The framerate is great in any game I play, but it's just the microstuttering that happens in some games that really grinds my gears. I have switched from a GTX 1650 and completely wiped my NVIDIA drivers and software before installling the AMD drivers. One thing to note is that my GPU is running at PCIe 3.0 because my motherboard doesn't support 4.0

I am running a RX 6600, Ryzen 3 3300x (I know it's a bit of a bottleneck, but it works perfectly fine in some scenarios), 32 GB of ram (4x8 G.SKILL Aegis kit), Pure Power 11 600W PSU, B450M-PRO4-F motherboard a HDD and a SSD.
I've noticed that new games (Deathloop, DOOM Eternal) run perfectly fine while some older games stutter (Valorant stutters for some reason aswell). Overall very inconsistent performance but I haven't benchmarked many other games.

Solutions I tried:

AMD Adrenalin tuning of game options (freesync, antilag) Current version of drivers is 24.6.1. and the Adrenalin was installed minimally.
MPO Fix
Turning off CPU acceleration
Disabling DXNAVI
Disabling Windows Game Bar
Disabling VRR
Reinstalling AMD Adrenalin drivers with a clean install
Turning SAM on and off
Updating BIOS and chipset drivers

Feel free to ask anything since I could of have forgotten something (I surely did)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your refresh rate? There's different kinds of micro stuttering from mini pauses due to maxed out cpu where video can pause every few seconds or so, frames not synced to display causing jitter stutters, to storage having an affect as well, these would be more of a pause. If this is a jittery look then that's frames not syncing right to display, too much most of the time. If you're experiencing a non smooth jitter look then try vrr again but limit your frame rate either by using vsync or manually 1 or 2 fps below refresh rate. Ie; 60Hz refresh - 58~59fps. Shouldn't experience input lag with vsync + vrr (Freesync/Gsync) but if you do, limiting frame rate a frame or two below maximum refresh rate should help with that.

Watch frame rate and cpu usage with a program like Msi Afterburner.

If a game accesses storage quite a bit, whether it be pagefile or something else, then a too full SSD can cause mini pause stutters as well. 100GB free is recommended for SSD's to perform but then have come across someone with stuttering issues in the past where 100GB wasn't enough but think that was due to pagefile growing too much. Can limit pagefile if have enough ram, 32gb is more than enough to have initial size of 1024mb and max 2048gb.

Just a couple ideas, see how you go. Definition of mini pauses is vastly different from user to user, not actually seeing in person is always tricky.

TRENDING THREADS