Question RX 6800 XT Making weird noises

Nov 22, 2020
Hello! I did a fresh PC build yesterday with only new parts and today I noticed that my GPU is making a buzzing noise under load. I first noticed it in-game and then I ran a few Unigine Heaven benchmark tests to verify that the sound is in fact coming from the GPU and only when the GPU is loaded. It also seems the buzzing is more intense and higher frequency/pitch when the load is higher. I've tried turning off the GPU fans to rule them out as the problem.

A video showing the sound can be seen here:
View: https://youtu.be/vxWlN7trD9o

My CPU is also running hotter than I expected at 45-55 deg C under idle load, 55-65 deg under light load (10-20%) and 86 deg under heavy load. Is this normal temps and could this indicate a problem with the motherboard or PSU?

I have not done any OC yet so everything should be running at mostly stock settings. I'm running the latest Windows 10 and have updated all the drivers and the BIOS to the latest versions.

My system:
MB: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
AIO: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT
PSU: Corsair HX750i
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO

Nov 22, 2020
That's called coil whine. It's not necessarily a bad thing or problem, just very annoying.

FYI: your RAM is installed in the incorrect slots. Should be a2-b2.

Allright good thing it's nothing serious but yeah it's quite loud and annoying.

The RAM is correctly installed in slots A2 & B2. Just double checked.

Probably coil whine.
If the GPU benchmarks and performance during games are normal and the coil whine isn't loud enough to bother you when you have a headset then don't bother RMAing it.

Enable V-Sync in a game...If the sound stops it's another indicator of coil whine, but in some games it won't stop even with VSync.

It can't hurt your GPU tho.I'm running a 2070 Super with coil whine for 6 months and it's performance is perfect.

I haven't checked the performance enough yet to know, but will run some more tests. Even if it's just coil whine it's quite loud in my system. Since I'm also doing a lot of photo and video editing work I suppose it could become quite annoying if the coil whine occurs during those kind of tasks as well when I don't have a headset.

If it doesn't damage my GPU I will continue to run some more tests. Thanks for the tips!

Jan 1, 2021
I have exactly the Same Mobo, same CPU and same reference 6800XT and have... you guessed it..... EXACTLY the same noise.

vsync does nothing.

Nov 22, 2020
I have exactly the Same Mobo, same CPU and same reference 6800XT and have... you guessed it..... EXACTLY the same noise.

vsync does nothing.
Interesting! What about your PSU?

I was planning to try another PSU to see if it helps but haven't prioritized it yet since I've got approval to RMA the card whenever I can get a hold of a new GPU.

Jan 1, 2021
It's a Seasonic Focus px750 Platinum rated... I think if we have different PSU that is not the problem. Unless the wattage is somehow involved since we have same wattage but I doubt it. I think the card just makes this noise.

I might be screwed I got the card from a scalper on local area ads. I have the invoice from digital river but it is not in my name, dunno if AMD will accept it.

But in idle it is mostly silenlt. Not sure if I am that bothered by it.

Nov 22, 2020
It's a Seasonic Focus px750 Platinum rated... I think if we have different PSU that is not the problem. Unless the wattage is somehow involved since we have same wattage but I doubt it. I think the card just makes this noise.

I might be screwed I got the card from a scalper on local area ads. I have the invoice from digital river but it is not in my name, dunno if AMD will accept it.

But in idle it is mostly silenlt. Not sure if I am that bothered by it.
Yeah in that case it's less likely the PSU has anything to do with it.

If you have the invoice I would try. I first contacted AMD directly and instantly got the RMA approved with them before they realised I bought it through a 3rd party retailer and had to contact them instead. I'm pretty sure the warranty follows the card and not the customer.

Ergosum

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
looks like a good candidate to slap a water block on it
A water block will not help (I did that on my Asus 6800 XT Tuf). It's not the fans making the noise, it is the electronic components. With no fans on board, you actually notice it more because there is less background interference.