[SOLVED] Rx580 crashing

Sep 5, 2019
Hey all.

Recently I built my system and i’ve been having issues with my GPU. Initially when I installed Windows 10 and installed drivers for my GPU nothing wrong happened. However, as soon as I updated Windows - about halfway through the update my screen went black and the system went into an idle state (everything off except the power button blinking). At first I thought this was simply part of the usual update process with restarting and such but no - I was forced to click the power button again in order for the system to turn on. Funnily enough the system was exactly back where I last left off which was the update. I didn’t think anything of it until it happened again. This time I noticed the screen display input would cut off and the GPU logo light and it’s fans would turn off( I’m assuming it crashes), and on again, until eventually the whole system would enter an idle state. The computer resumes where I left off on the screen when I press the power button. This is strange.

I’ve even reinstalled a fresh Windows copy but the issue is this also occurs during setup, and I would have assumed a fresh install would’ve gotten rid of any drivers I updated. It now occurs every minute or so, so it’s becoming impossible to even use the system for longer than that at a time.

Anyone got any ideas?

my specs:
  1. GPU: Sapphire RX580 4GB (bought used)
  2. MOB: AsRock B450M Steel Legend (New)
  3. RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (New)
  4. CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (New)
  5. PSU: EVGA 650GQ
  6. SSD: WD Black SN750 500GB M.2 (New)

Solution
UPDATE
  • I flashed a newer BIOS onto the motherboard. This allowed me to actually boot up Windows properly.
  • Graphics glitched out a lot so I flashed a new BIOS for the GPU, and updated drivers. The system did just completely shut down halfway through the update dunno why. It’s fixed the glitchjng issue now although Windows recognises the card as an RX570 for some reason even though all the specs from GPU-Z match the RX580.
  • The system then suffered from going into sleep when typing after 5 or so mins. Tried other kbds but it still persisted so I looked in event viewer and found the event ‘Kernel-Power’ causing the system to go to sleep due to ‘Power Button or Lid’. I defo wasn’t pressing the power button to cause this...

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
I had a similar problem my pc would stop half way through and just sit idle black screen and then auto switch of after 5-10min but i had to unistall drivers it turned out my cpu was faulty but im not sure if its the same for you the gpu might be faulty
Did you have another gpu before hand? If so and it was nvidia u will have to uninstall those drivers first with DDU

Sep 5, 2019
I had a similar problem my pc would stop half way through and just sit idle black screen and then auto switch of after 5-10min but i had to unistall drivers it turned out my cpu was faulty but im not sure if its the same for you the gpu might be faulty
Did you have another gpu before hand? If so and it was nvidia u will have to uninstall those drivers first with DDU
Oh. I’ve never had another GPU in this system before as this is a new build.

The thing is my PC doesn’t switch off at all - i get a black screen and it just sits there idle until I wake it up using the power button. From my understanding this is something Windows 10 does usually when a driver crashes since it can now ‘catch’ these crashes. The thing is I’ve tried to clean install Windows and I can’t get any further than the setup screen before it crashes now - idk what to do - I can’t uninstall any drivers if they exist before the system just crashes. And if it was drivers I would’ve assumed they would have been reverted to factory defaults once I cleaned the old OS and attempted a new installation.

I also doubt it’s the CPU for me. The system has no problems going into the BIOS and staying there for hours - it’s strictly a Windows problem from what it seems.

I reckon it’s the GPU being faulty but I’m not sure, and I don’t want to buy a new one if this issue can be easily fixed.

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Oh. I’ve never had another GPU in this system before as this is a new build.

The thing is my PC doesn’t switch off at all - i get a black screen and it just sits there idle until I wake it up using the power button. From my understanding this is something Windows 10 does usually when a driver crashes since it can now ‘catch’ these crashes. The thing is I’ve tried to clean install Windows and I can’t get any further than the setup screen before it crashes now - idk what to do - I can’t uninstall any drivers if they exist before the system just crashes. And if it was drivers I would’ve assumed they would have been reverted to factory defaults once I cleaned the old OS and attempted a new installation.

I also doubt it’s the CPU for me. The system has no problems going into the BIOS and staying there for hours - it’s strictly a Windows problem from what it seems.

I reckon it’s the GPU being faulty but I’m not sure, and I don’t want to buy a new one if this issue can be easily fixed.
Well with my cpu i could overclock it and use windows and cinebench easily it was just when trying to install drivers but i hope you figure it out man

Sep 5, 2019
Well with my cpu i could overclock it and use windows and cinebench easily it was just when trying to install drivers but i hope you figure it out man
Installed Windows without Internet - went fine. Made sure no drivers/ updates could be updated this time. Ran cinebench - no problems. Display cut off 10 mins afterwards and system went into idle.
Quite certain the GPU is faulty - going team green now I think, hopefully it’ll work fine then.
Thanks for your help mate.

I dunno. I've never had my PC go to sleep upon a GPU driver crash. Sure, it blacks out, but that only lasts 1-5 seconds.

Have you thought maybe a stick of RAM is bad? I'll admit, this behavior doesn't sound like ram fault, but that's a free test. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM and run the system. If the problem persists, swap that stick with another (just in case you chose the bad one first)

Going Nvidia because your used AMD card potentially died? Haha

Sep 5, 2019
I dunno. I've never had my PC go to sleep upon a GPU driver crash. Sure, it blacks out, but that only lasts 1-5 seconds.

Have you thought maybe a stick of RAM is bad? I'll admit, this behavior doesn't sound like ram fault, but that's a free test. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM and run the system. If the problem persists, swap that stick with another (just in case you chose the bad one first)

Going Nvidia because your used AMD card potentially died? Haha
I’ll try the ram thanks.

And yeh I’ve just had bad experience with AMD graphics in the past too (even with brand new cards:)), no idea how much more stable Nvidia are but it’s worth a try.

Sep 5, 2019
UPDATE
  • I flashed a newer BIOS onto the motherboard. This allowed me to actually boot up Windows properly.
  • Graphics glitched out a lot so I flashed a new BIOS for the GPU, and updated drivers. The system did just completely shut down halfway through the update dunno why. It’s fixed the glitchjng issue now although Windows recognises the card as an RX570 for some reason even though all the specs from GPU-Z match the RX580.
  • The system then suffered from going into sleep when typing after 5 or so mins. Tried other kbds but it still persisted so I looked in event viewer and found the event ‘Kernel-Power’ causing the system to go to sleep due to ‘Power Button or Lid’. I defo wasn’t pressing the power button to cause this and this is a desktop so there is no lid. To fix this, I went into the power settings, then advanced power settings and made sure nothing happened when the ‘lid was closed’. Sure enough after a restart, this issue was fixed.

I have turned off my Windows updates temporarily as I wasn’t sure if they’ll affect anything but I’ll try them later and hope they don’t break anything.

Currently the system is running fine, didn’t need a new GPU (guess I’m sticking w/ team red for now) or any other component, and games run fine. Various benchmarking tools reveal the system is stable and temps are pretty chill.

I’d like to thank anyone who helped as they were greatly appreciated. Hopefully this can help anyone in the future if they’re dealing with a similar issue.

Solution