Question Ryzen 1600x + GTX 1080ti Poor performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gribk2000

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I built my system a year ago, mainly for CSGO, but my frames are as low as 90 in some scenarios, for example, on nuke outside I get similar performance as my friend with a 1050ti paired up with an i5 8400. But he gets higher. I am lost about what to do, can anyone reference, anything that can help me. Am on the verge of buying 32gb of ram, a new motherboard and a 9700k if I cant get this fixed.... my ram is from 2x8 from 2 different sets GPU runs at 20% maximum CPU runs at 30% maximum

another issue is my idle ram usage is 3+ GB at all times in games it's up to my fullest 16gb, games like Rust, 7 days to die sometimes even csgo, and almost any game for that matter.

I tried everything I reinstalled windows, Nothing -- I upgraded GPU from 1070 ti to 1080 ti NOTHING, I have no idea on what to do.

That is a improvement even with the 39% background.
Did you set the xmp in bios? With the dram frequency @2666?

Are you planning on doing some really heaving video editing other wise 16gb is more then enough for gaming.
Running 4 dimms is hard to get running at the rated speed over your imc of 2666mhz
Of the 1600x.

gribk2000

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I am planning on streaming and yes I do have RAM intensive applications, and considering the price of 32 is the same as what i payed for my original 16 why not get it

gribk2000

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at other threads with a similar problem, it's always a system with a Ryzen CPU. I am just waiting for the availability of my funds this weekend and buying everything stated above.

Sep 17, 2019
All I know its ether some software limitation, it's the CPU or the motherboard. That's why I might just buy a 9700k and a z390 motherboard, along with 32 GB of ram. and forget about any problem I've ever had.
Buying that will mean a complete rebuild of my system.
Hey bro. Dont hurry. I own i9-9900K, 2080Ti and 32Gb of 2666Mhz RAM, and i also get same or even lower performance when it comes to 140+ fps in not that demanding game, compared to guys with i5 and 1060's.
Im also struggling to find a solution to have stable 144fps on 144hz monitor, but for now i dont see an option.

We have a lot of performance in our systems, but games and windows doesnt allow us to use all of it. They are meant to be played on 60 fps. This is just my guess.

Last edited:

gribk2000

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hey bro. Dont hurry. I own i9-9900K, 2080Ti and 32Gb of 2666Mhz RAM, and i also get same or even lower performance when it comes to 140+ fps in not that demanding game, compared to guys with i5 and 1060's.
Im also struggling to find a solution to have stable 144fps on 144hz monitor, but for now i dont see an option.

We have a lot of performance in our systems, but games and windows doesnt allow us to use all of it. They are meant to be played on 60 fps. This is just my guess.
I am talking about getting less than 60 FPS and tons of games and being absolutely unplayable, What I am doing is pretty much a full rebuild of a system, When I get the parts I will do a clean windows install, thinking about even getting an M.2 drive and maybe even a new power supply and I am planning to OC the 9700k to 5+ GHz. I really don't care what it costs as long as it's in the 2k range I will do anything to get this thing running properly.

Are you running all the latest drivers from Asrock and Nvidia? As mentioned, have you installed the latest non-beta BIOS for your motherboard? One of the few things I don't like about Windows 10 is that it pretends it can get the best drivers for everything, even when it can't, so it pays to look around.

Expanding somewhat on this above principle, but to the OP:
Windows default installed drivers are left only for the grand total of the 5-8 minutes it takes to download the all of the correct chipset drivers from mainboard manufacturer and the correct GPU driver package from Nvidia...(I do simple express install, never an issue!)

Is RAM installed in correct two slots for dual channel operation?

Is the CPU running at 3.9-4.1 GHz that most are capable of? (Make sure temps are well under control so that no throttling occurs)

Is the game played in full screen mode, or windowed?