Ryzen 1600x or I5 7600k - for gaming

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013
Hi all,

I have a gtx 1060 6gb.
I am going to buy a new CPU and I am confused between the 1600x and the 7600k.
I am gaming and going to record videos for my youtube channel, The 7600k has better frame rates in gaming but they say the 1600x is better for recording because it has more cores. And people say that there are screen recorders that use the GPU not the CPU so i have a few questions.

1- If i am going to use a gpu recorder is the 7600k is going to be better for me?

2- What would be better a Ryzen and a cpu screen recorder or an I5 and a gpu screen recorder?

3- Is it true that the 1600x will be better than the 7600k in future gaming?

4- Are 8GB of ram going to be enough or i will need 16GB of ram?

Solution
Im not familiar with recording, but I know there is software which is not demanding for your system so in that case it doesnt matter which cpu you take, though if we are looking at gaming itself, currently the performance is really close and both cpu will handle a 1060 easily.

But indeed the 1600x will be more future proof due the extra cores, also dont forget newer games are already maxing out the i5 cpus what means there is nothing extra left in them while the 1600x runs at only 50-60% usage and games are going to start use more cores, im quite sure of that.

Also next year orso Intel also wants to make 6 core cpus the mainstream so keep that in mind, the 1600x also has a better upgrade path for the future since AMD said this socket...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
RYZEN 5 is the much more balanced option. You might be getting slightly lower framerates, but It's still really not that bad in gaming.

Are you getting a 144Hz screen? If you don't, you don't really even need the extra frames you'll get with an Intel i5 tbh.

Im not familiar with recording, but I know there is software which is not demanding for your system so in that case it doesnt matter which cpu you take, though if we are looking at gaming itself, currently the performance is really close and both cpu will handle a 1060 easily.

But indeed the 1600x will be more future proof due the extra cores, also dont forget newer games are already maxing out the i5 cpus what means there is nothing extra left in them while the 1600x runs at only 50-60% usage and games are going to start use more cores, im quite sure of that.

Also next year orso Intel also wants to make 6 core cpus the mainstream so keep that in mind, the 1600x also has a better upgrade path for the future since AMD said this socket will last till 2020, where for the 1151 socket from intel is already coming to its end and therefor there are not upgrades coming for it in a few years from now.

8gb of ram is mostly fine but if you also going to record it might be better to have 16gb, and games are already starting to use more than 8gb these days .Though if you're going for ryzen make sure you get fast DDR4 ram, something like 3200mhz, ryzen performance better with high speed ram. :)

Though did you check out the 1600 instead of the 1600x? the 1600 is overclockable to the same speed (4.0ghz) as the 1600x and comes with a stock cooler and if cheaper.

Solution

huskysonian

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
You are better off overall with an R5 1600X. While the 7600K does achieve higher frame rates in modern titles, you are going to enjoy having more cores and more threads when it comes time to edit your footage. Video editing is a resource hungry task and it is made easier with more cores and more threads.

When people say that the 1600X is going to be better for future games, they are referring to how DX12 and Vulkan are supposed to operate. Newer APIs are trying to take more advantage of more cores than current and older APIs have in order to make for a smoother and higher fidelity gaming experience. When DX12 and Vulkan are more widely and more effectively used, you should see higher core count CPUs make meaningful improvements.

8GB is more than enough for gaming as it stands today and in the near future, but you would be better off using higher capacities of RAM than most people if you want to make videos. Most people stand by having higher capacities of RAM in order to make video editing a more fluid experience. It is why larger channels will have single rigs specifically for editing and why those machines can have upwards of 32GBs. You will likely notice a difference if you double what you are already looking at.

As for recording video, Plays.TV and/or ShadowPlay are more than likely going to be sufficient, otherwise use Open Broadcaster Software.

I see no reason to go for an i5 other than office machines that need quad core power.

The additional core count of Ryzen will keep it more stable especially when multitasking with recording
As i5s struggle and experience FPS drops already in some games that will only get worse in the future. The few FPS singlecore performance the i5 offers is not worth it imo.

Also yes, 16 GB RAM are kinda necessary for what you're planning to do.

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

No, It wont be a 144Hz screen .. So you are right it is not worth the 7600K. Also I am planing to get a 1600 and to overclock it .. that would save me 20 bucks plus the cooler price.

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Very convincing thank you, I will get the 1600 and get an extra ram with the 50 bucks I would save from the cpu and the cooler. now what motherboard should be good with my overclocking and with a 3000Mhz RAM. I saw the MSI B350 and the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming . what would be better and if there is a better choice what would it be?

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Thank you very much you really helped me make my decision. I will get a ryzen but i will get the 1600 and overclock it and get an extra ram with the extra bucks. What motherboard would you recommend ?

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks I will get a ryzen 1600 and 16GB of ram .. what motherboard would you recommend ?

BenjaminR

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

If your on a budget, I would recommend the Gigabyte b350 gaming 3.
Also if you are on a budget 8GB of RAM is still fine, but if you have the spare money why not get another 8GB.
Also the 1600 is a better price/performance once overclocked compared to the 1600x, even without overclock.

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Actually I am running low on budget but problem is if I got 8GB of ram it won't be easy to get another 8GB because i am buying it from another country. also is the b350-gaming is 20 dollars cheaper than the gaming 3 . is it worth the 20 bucks ?

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

430 USD .. Amazon.com

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Actually i meant the gigabyte .. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDNB3G4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1CPWE4BUHBCWE&psc=1
both have only 4 Sata connectors but it is not a real problem for me .. if that is the only difference.

Programz

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
I'd personally go with the i5-7600k, or an i7-4790k/7700k. Hyperthreading is just too good to pass up, even with an 8-core Ryzen next to it.

That's just a personal opinion however.

I tried streaming back in the day with AMD and it just couldn't keep up, but that was with a 4 core AMD-A10 7700k. Not really a CPU meant for streaming.

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Is the B350 tomahawk a good mobo ?
it is 23 USD cheaper than the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 on amazon

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly I dont like them .. they look bad and they annoy me :D

ManoAamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 6, 2013

I have read that the audio thing is noticeable only with high end speakers .. what are the features and are they worth the extra 20 bucks ?

Programz

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

I honestly didn't know the i5's didnt have hyerthreading. My bad! I thought all intels used Hyperthreading, thanks for the update :)