Question Ryzen 1600x to Ryzen 5 3600x - possible on same motherboard?

thepigman

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU from Ryzen 1600x to Ryzen 5 3600x.

I know they are both Socket AM4, but will the difference in Zen architecture stop me from using the same motherboard I have installed?

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Crosshair VI Hero (AM4) - X370 Chipset

Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto the motherboard website, support, and READ all the notes and steps to take to upgrade the bios, slapping in the latest when making the jump from Zen to Zen+ can often be a disaster. You may need to do several bios updates in sequence to bring it upto current.

Reactions: thepigman

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
false what? do you have the same motherboard as the op?
Clearly you didn't take the time to read my reply or my sig, but yes on the CHVI you support older gens while adding support for the 3xxx series of CPU. Please identify an example of a newer x370 BIOS/UEFI image that doesn't also support older generations.

Even if you do, please note this board, while supporting older generation processors, has a flashback feature independent of the installed CPU.

rgd1101

Don't
Clearly you didn't take the time to read my reply or my sig, but yes on the CHVI you support older gens while adding support for the 3xxx series of CPU. Please identify an example of a newer x370 BIOS/UEFI image that doesn't also support older generations.

Even if you do, please note this board, while supporting older generation processors, has a flashback feature independent of the installed CPU.
That why I said might. maybe you didn't read

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The older boards, almost exclusively used a 16Mb bios chip. Between Agesa, new cpu tables, updated ram tables, bug fixes and changes and all the instructions necessary to make those changes, many bios updates simply have too much data to initiate an upgrade on the smaller chip. Newer boards such as the msi MAX versions are shipping with 32Mb bios chips, so it's not an issue. Asrock specifically states there's a point of no return, once you update to a certain bios, you cannot then return to earlier bios because the data is either no longer in existence or has been changed to fit the later cpu microcode.

Once you update to 3series, there's no guarantee that any prior series will be compatible. It's a Ryzen, not an intel. Ryzen has to accommodate 2 generations of data, not Intel single generation where the only thing changed is a few lines in the cpu tables.