[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 cpu temperature fluctuations while gaming

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi there,

I'm using ryzen 3 3100 cpu on my build and using a stock cooler. my idle temp is around 50C. on BIOS I'm keeping current low idle in power supply idle control and PBO(precision boost overdrive) off to keep the temperature low. Currently I'm playing assassin's creed origins and the cpu temp fluctuates like crazy. It goes from 62 to 75+C. It touches around 75 and automatically its going down and keeps happening especially on AAA games. It doesn't happen on Apex legends or fortnite. Does anyone have solution for this?

Motherboard: MSI b450 Tomahawk max
GPU: ASUS GTX 750 TI OC
PSU: Corsair CX550

Thanks

Solution
Yes my case comes with one exhaust fan on rear and intake on on the front. So I think that's plenty at the moment at least. But my question is why the temp fluctuates while gaming? it suddenly gets around 74C then jumps back to around 64C. the frequency remains same 3900GHz. as the temp suddently increases the power consumption also increases I noticed while monitoring in game using MSI afterburner.
That's typical of Ryzen processors as one core boosts. What you see is a highly localized 'hot spot' that's really low energy and doesn't add a lot to the thermal state of the processor as a whole. Instead of using Afterburner get HWInfo64 or Ryzenmaster; they use a temp readout that's better...in HWInfo look for the 'temp...

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
The OEM heatsink is not terribly effective (and can be quite noisy when spinning at 100%). For that reason, I do not use the Wraith coolers with Ryzen rigs. I would suggest you upgrade to a better performing aftermarket cooler.
Yes many suggested to use aftermarket one. But one thing I don't get it is that the temps shouldn't be that high of this cpu ryzen 3100. I saw many benchmarks and reviews of this cpu and they were certainly much less than that. I would accept my current temps if I had ryzen 3600 or higher. My ambient temp is 32C currerntly

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi there,

I'm using ryzen 3 3100 cpu on my build and using a stock cooler. my idle temp is around 50C. on BIOS I'm keeping current low idle in power supply idle control and PBO(precision boost overdrive) off to keep the temperature low. Currently I'm playing assassin's creed origins and the cpu temp fluctuates like crazy. It goes from 62 to 75+C. It touches around 75 and automatically its going down and keeps happening especially on AAA games. It doesn't happen on Apex legends or fortnite. Does anyone have solution for this?

Motherboard: MSI b450 Tomahawk max
GPU: ASUS GTX 750 TI OC
PSU: Corsair CX550

Thanks
everything looks fine u must buy better cpu cooler and get proper pc case with good air flow that is key in air cooling system,,,

Reactions: RajTheGeek
Yes many suggested to use aftermarket one. But one thing I don't get it is that the temps shouldn't be that high of this cpu ryzen 3100. I saw many benchmarks and reviews of this cpu and they were certainly much less than that. I would accept my current temps if I had ryzen 3600 or higher. My ambient temp is 32C currerntly
I believe you're correct; you have but a 3100 CPU that should stay reasonably cool even with the stock cooler. One thing to keep in mind is 75C isn't excessively hot, so it's not disastrous at least. First thing is to make sure the cooler is properly mounted with all the screws evenly tightened.

What is your case cooling like? GPU's exhaust into the case and that will mean the CPU cooler is using it's hot air to try and cool the CPU which won't work well. So you have to have a couple fans up front to provide cool air for both the GPU and the CPU in addition to a couple fans in back and top to exhaust the hot air.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
I believe you're correct; you have but a 3100 CPU that should stay reasonably cool even with the stock cooler. One thing to keep in mind is 75C isn't excessively hot, so it's not disastrous at least. First thing is to make sure the cooler is properly mounted with all the screws evenly tightened.

What is your case cooling like? GPU's exhaust into the case and that will mean the CPU cooler is using it's hot air to try and cool the CPU which won't work well. So you have to have a couple fans up front to provide cool air for both the GPU and the CPU in addition to a couple fans in back and top to exhaust the hot air.
I'm using this case : https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-k501l/#specifications

I have 1 front fan already. Stock cooler seems to be working properly as I can feel the warm air coming outside of the rear exhaust fan. I also checked that all screws are tighted. what do you mean by gpu's exhaust fan? you mean graphics card'sfans?

I'm using this case : https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-k501l/#specifications

I have 1 front fan already. Stock cooler seems to be working properly as I can feel the warm air coming outside of the rear exhaust fan. I also checked that all screws are tighted. what do you mean by gpu's exhaust fan? you mean graphics card'sfans?
Yes, GPU means graphics processing unit or graphics card and most exhaust their hot air directly into the case so without case fans arranged right the CPU cooler winds up sucking in hot air to cool the CPU.

That case has plenty of spots for exhaust fans up top and back. If you don't have them, put two, one in top at the back, one on the back. If you run one fan only in front use it in the upper slot so it's providing cool air unobstructed. You arrange the fans so that the front fans are blowing cool air INTO the case, and the top/rear fans are blowing their air OUT of the case.

You might try running with the cover off to see if it helps cooling. If it does, then you've definitely got a problem that case fans would help with. When using an air cooler you can never have too many fans as you can run them at slow, quiet, speeds and they still pull huge volume of air through the case.

Last edited:

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Yes, GPU means graphics processing unit or graphics card and most exhaust their hot air directly into the case so without case fans arranged right the CPU cooler winds up sucking in hot air to cool the CPU.

That case has plenty of spots for exhaust fans up top and back. If you don't have them, put two, one in top at the back, one on the back. If you run one fan only in front use it in the upper slot so it's providing cool air unobstructed. You arrange the fans so that the front fans are blowing cool air INTO the case, and the top/rear fans are blowing their air OUT of the case.

You might try running with the cover off to see if it helps cooling. If it does, then you've definitely got a problem that case fans would help with. When using an air cooler you can never have too many fans as you can run them at slow, quiet, speeds and they still pull huge volume of air through the case.
Yes my case comes with one exhaust fan on rear and intake on on the front. So I think that's plenty at the moment at least. But my question is why the temp fluctuates while gaming? it suddenly gets around 74C then jumps back to around 64C. the frequency remains same 3900GHz. as the temp suddently increases the power consumption also increases I noticed while monitoring in game using MSI afterburner.

That's typical of Ryzen processors as one core boosts. What you see is a highly localized 'hot spot' that's really low energy and doesn't add a lot to the thermal state of the processor as a whole. Instead of using Afterburner get HWInfo64 or Ryzenmaster; they use a temp readout that's better...in HWInfo look for the 'temp die(average)' sensor readout.

Reactions: RajTheGeek
Solution