[SOLVED] Ryzen 3400G deadlocking - broken CPU or misconfiguration?

Aug 27, 2021
Hi, I've recently built a system with some second-hand parts, but can't seem to get Windows 10 running on it. I've tried swapping the motherboard and RAM with some I had left, but that hasn't helped. The only possible culprit left is the CPU, but getting another one is pretty expensive so I want to make sure that I'm not missing any important configuration steps or BIOS settings before oficially declaring it dead. It also, weirdly, does work for some applications which only makes me more doubtful of whether it's actually broken.

Parts list:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3400G
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M S2H V2 -or- ASUS PRIME A320M-K
  • RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Predator 3000MHz -or- 1x8GB generic (HP)
  • GPU: none
  • PSU: Corsair VS450
What works and what doesn't:

✅ Booting to BIOS -> works perfectly: CPU and RAM correctly detected, no error codes on post.​
✅ Video display using the Vega integrated graphics -> works perfectly.​
✅ CPU stress test using Ultimate Boot CD -> works perfectly.​
✅ Memory test (RAM) using Windows Memory Checker -> 0 errors, RAM OK.​
🔶 Windows 7 installation via USB -> boots and works without locking up, but only when using an analog PS/2 keyboard and removing all other USB devices (except for the installer drive, which is a USB drive mind you). Can't proceed with the installation because of a "missing CD/DVD driver", even when I remove the DVD drive from my system.​
❌ Windows 10 installation via USB -> shows windows logo splash screen, loading circle spins for about 1 second after which the computer deadlocks (on this screen). Display stays turned on at the frozen screen, fans keep spinning, keyboard lights stop shining. The analog keyboard method from above does not change this behavior.​
❌ Windows 10 installation via DVD -> same as above.​
❌ Windows 10 boot from SSD prepared with installation -> same as above.​
The beeper speaker does not produce any error codes when the PC is deadlocked (sadly I don't have one of those fancy LED diagnostic lights). I have tried changing some BIOS settings around (regarding secure boot etc.) to no avail. I have tried multiple BIOS versions, all officially supported, again to no avail. Is there anything else left for me to try or is this CPU truly dead? I can't see how the PC would post or display graphics, let alone complete a stress test, when it's "broken". RMA is not an option :(

Thanks for any comments or help in general!
-Joppe27

Solution
Hi, I've recently built a system with some second-hand parts, but can't seem to get Windows 10 running on it. I've tried swapping the motherboard and RAM with some I had left, but that hasn't helped. The only possible culprit left is the CPU, but getting another one is pretty expensive so I want to make sure that I'm not missing any important configuration steps or BIOS settings before oficially declaring it dead. It also, weirdly, does work for some applications which only makes me more doubtful of whether it's actually broken.

Parts list:

Parts list:
✅ Booting to BIOS -> works perfectly: CPU and RAM correctly detected, no error codes on post.​
🔶 Windows 7 installation via USB -> boots and works without locking up, but only when using an analog PS/2 keyboard and removing all other USB devices (except for the installer drive, which is a USB drive mind you). Can't proceed with the installation because of a "missing CD/DVD driver", even when I remove the DVD drive from my system.​
❌ Windows 10 installation via USB -> shows windows logo splash screen, loading circle spins for about 1 second after which the computer deadlocks (on this screen). Display stays turned on at the frozen screen, fans keep spinning, keyboard lights stop shining. The analog keyboard method from above does not change this behavior.​
The beeper speaker does not produce any error codes when the PC is deadlocked (sadly I don't have one of those fancy LED diagnostic lights). I have tried changing some BIOS settings around (regarding secure boot etc.) to no avail. I have tried multiple BIOS versions, all officially supported, again to no avail. Is there anything else left for me to try or is this CPU truly dead? I can't see how the PC would post or display graphics, let alone complete a stress test, when it's "broken". RMA is not an option :(

-Joppe27
Clear the bios on the mobos.
After clearing the bios, boot to BIOs
Enable docp for dual channel support
Try booting to bootable usb

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
First, where did you get your installation USB? Do you do the official MS method?

Does this drive have an existing OS and it's partitions?

I think you need to boot from the USB, click to go to the advanced install options and delete all the partitions on the host drive.

Parts list:

-Joppe27
Ps most new boards don't have drivers for windows 7 ready so won't install. Plus the factor of windows 7 being to old from when the new windows 10 boards. Not having and support for amd drives. Or new Intel drivers.

Aug 27, 2021
Clear the bios on the mobos.
After clearing the bios, boot to BIOs
Enable docp for dual channel support
Try booting to bootable usb
  • I had already tried clearing the BIOS, no change.
  • I had already turned DOCP on and tried running the system with one stick of memory as said in the original post, no change.
  • The entire issue is that I can't boot to a bootable USB, my system freezes when attempting to do so as said in the original post.

First, where did you get your installation USB? Do you do the official MS method?

Does this drive have an existing OS and it's partitions?

I think you need to boot from the USB, click to go to the advanced install options and delete all the partitions on the host drive.

Yes, my USB was created using MediaCreationTool on a Windows 10 computer with a genuine licence.

To be clear, I cannot boot from the USB at all as said in the original post: my system freezes when attempting to do so (see picture in original post). Even without an SSD installed in the system, no boot from USB, which means the partitioning is not the issue I'm looking for.

Ps most new boards don't have drivers for windows 7 ready so won't install. Plus the factor of windows 7 being to old from when the new windows 10 boards. Not having and support for amd drives. Or new Intel drivers.

I do not actually want to install Windows 7, I just tried that for troubleshooting reasons. A windows 10 install would be ideal but booting the installer freezes my pc as said in the original post.

Thanks everyone for your comments! Please ask if I ever need to provide more information.

• I had already tried clearing the BIOS, no change.
  • I had already turned DOCP on and tried running the system with one stick of memory as said in the original post, no change.
  • The entire issue is that I can't boot to a bootable USB, my system freezes when attempting to do so as said in the original post.

Yes, my USB was created using MediaCreationTool on a Windows 10 computer with a genuine licence.

To be clear, I cannot boot from the USB at all as said in the original post: my system freezes when attempting to do so (see picture in original post). Even without an SSD installed in the system, no boot from USB, which means the partitioning is not the issue I'm looking for.

I do not actually want to install Windows 7, I just tried that for troubleshooting reasons. A windows 10 install would be ideal but booting the installer freezes my pc as said in the original post.

Thanks everyone for your comments! Please ask if I ever need to provide more information.
The issue is probably actually in the mobo bios then have you made sure it's fully up to date?