Question Ryzen 3600 Idle Temp and Core speed Jumping up and down

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
I recently build my new PC with Ryzen 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Gaming motherboard.

The issue is at idle it has a temp of around 50C and the clock speeds are constantly jumping up and down, even though there is no load on the CPU. I installed the latest drivers and still the same issues. I have no monitoring software running besides CPU-Z. CPU fan also constantly speeds up and slows down at idle.

Also my ram speed reads at 2400mhz, even though it should be 3200mhz. I don't know if that is related. Thanks

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I will mess around and see how it goes. I think once I install a bigger cooler it will be fine. Thanks for the help !
95C is quite high honestly. I would repaste the stock cooler, i guess you put it on with the stock paste. Better cooler will definitely help. Jumping temps is because of PB, one or two cores boost up to almost max boost speed while others just sleep. Also download some app to control your fan speed. Gigabyte has an app SIV in APP center. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility

Reactions: allinhandss
Jul 19, 2019
Yeah I will change the cooler this week.What does PB stands for ?
People told me that is normal for temps to jump up and down a little bit.

However, I don't see max boost more than 4125mhz. I am not sure if this is a BIOS update issue.

Jul 19, 2019
Update :
So I installed a larger cooler. The noise levels drastically improved. Even at full load I barely can hear the fan. Also the peak temp have improved. At stress testing I hit 80c max. Before I hit 94c.

However, the idle temp still stay the same. From 46-56c, with occasional jump to 60c. I think this is an issue of voltage jumping from 0.2v to 1.4v all the time. I guess it is normal for this CPU. Some say a little offset on the voltage in BIOS might help with idle temp. But I am not sure about it yet.
IZJBklB.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: toyu20102000

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Update :
So I installed a larger cooler. The noise levels drastically improved. Even at full load I barely can hear the fan. Also the peak temp have improved. At stress testing I hit 80c max. Before I hit 94c.

However, the idle temp still stay the same. From 46-56c, with occasional jump to 60c. I think this is an issue of voltage jumping from 0.2v to 1.4v all the time. I guess it is normal for this CPU. Some say a little offset on the voltage in BIOS might help with idle temp. But I am not sure about it yet.
IZJBklB.jpg
[/IMG]
If you want voltage to stop jumping, disable auto OC. But that would be a shame

Jul 19, 2019
Ok, thanks. The reason I was confused is because my last CPU was around 35C same conditions. But I guess AMD CPU are different. Also when browsing the internet and small load I hit 60-65C

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And you are positive you are reading °C and not °F? That's been a somewhat common occurrence lately.

DOCP or Direct Over Clock Profile, is ASUS technology that aims to replicate on AMD motherboards, Intel's eXtreme Memory Profile (XMP) feature found on all motherboards running Intel CPUs (assuming the motherboard is not way to old, or is an Manufacture system which they tend to lock the user from changing this option, among other options) .

What it does is get the RAM specs that it gets from requesting it (profile is stored on the memory chip), and then tries to change your motherboard settings memory settings to match the specifications of the RAM so that you can get what you paid for, else it goes with the minimum, safe speed, and it is up to you to configure your memory frequencies and clocks to get the speed mentioned on the RAM stick.

On Gigabyte boards, it's EOCP instead, but works the same. Meaning essentially that with XMP enabled to get faster (rated) ram speeds, EOCP can and will OC the cpu if it feels it needs to etc. Because Infinity Fabric used by the Ryzens is based on Ram speeds for cpu communications between the cores, cpu and ram go hand-in-hand with a lot of settings

Reactions: GTOcloner
Jul 19, 2019
Yes, it is Celsius. I am not sure if I follow you completely. I have the XMP profile enables, yes. Some people say to apply -0.1 v offset on the core voltage. I might try that. Do I do that in BIOS?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Different games respond differently at different times. In my skyrim, if I stand in an open field and look up at the clouds, I'll get well over 100fps (it's Heavily modded, over 170 scripted cpu intensive mods). If I look down at the grass, there's enough massive detailing that fps can hit 55 and temps go up 5-10°C. It's the nature of games to be fluid, but that'll include different things. I watched a video on Witcher3 earlier, dude running around town got 70fps average. Ran around a corner into 15-20 ppl moving around and fps dropped to 50's, and cpu usage doubled. Which raised temps. Many details are not obvious, or thought about, but they occur just the same.

Jul 19, 2019
Thanks. Yeah, I think you are right. At the Witcher 3 I get around 70c CPU temp. While at some other games, that are less GPU demanding my CPU temp get random spikes. I guess it is normal.

Do you think with new drivers and BIOS updates in the future , those things can change a little ?

Reactions: GTOcloner

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doubtful there'll be much change. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. Which is a very long time lol. As core usage % goes up, more heat is created. The cpu pre-renders the game code, basically tells the gpu 'this is a blade of grass, it has this shape, moves like this, these are the colors and shadow area, put it at this co-ordinate, at this size, and oh by the way, there's 25,000 more just like it.' All the gpu has to do is take all that data, make the picture, put it on screen according to detail settings and resolution. If your toon walks into a building, all that individual grass detail no longer exists, cpu now has to deal with only a single concrete floor, so usage drops like a rock, as do temps, and fps goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS