Question Ryzen 3700X / X570 definitely not working right (high temps)

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
I recently changed my "old" 7700K, installed on an Asus Maximus IX Formula for a much newer AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, on an Asus Crosshair VIII Formula.

To put things in context, both CPUs and MoBos have been installed on a system that has a dual watercooling loop, one of them for the GPU and one only for the Ryzen 7 and the Formula. Old 7700K could reach about 60º/65º on load, while staying around 35º on idle (room temp being about 25º).

For a reason I can't manage to understand or find that reason, the 3700X stays around 40º if I just stare at the wallpaper, reaching about 45º/50º by doing only simple things like net surfing or YouTube. Playing games it almost instantly spikes above 60º, reaching quite usually numbers close to 70º. I've even seen 79º after two hours of gaming, or almost instantly by stress testing the CPU on Prime 95 or Aida 64. I don't think this is normal, at all, since the CPU has almost never reached 4'35GHz, not talking about 4'4GHz, which have proved to be too much for it by now.

The BIOS is the last one Asus has released for the MoBo, also last chipset drivers by AMD, released yesterday 27/09/2019. Motherboard has also shown some other weird issued related to voltaje, and I'm starting to think that maybe it's a faulty unit, but tbh I would prefer to know if it may be a different issue before having to disassemble the whole water cooling loop.

Thanks in advance.

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Have you got a new block for the chip?
Nope, the whole watercooling system is exactly the same as before, same block, same radiators, even same thermal paste (obviously new). The only different stuff is the coolant, which is exactly the same as before, but instead of EK Blue is EK red, nothing else.

Nope, the whole watercooling system is exactly the same as before, same block, same radiators, even same thermal paste (obviously new). The only different stuff is the coolant, which is exactly the same as before, but instead of EK Blue is EK red, nothing else.
Wouldn't you need a new block/mount as you've moved from a Z270 board with the 1511 socket I'm guessing to a X570 with the AM4 socket???

I recently changed my "old" 7700K, installed on an Asus Maximus IX Formula for a much newer AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, on an Asus Crosshair VIII Formula.

To put things in context, both CPUs and MoBos have been installed on a system that has a dual watercooling loop, one of them for the GPU and one only for the Ryzen 7 and the Formula. Old 7700K could reach about 60º/65º on load, while staying around 35º on idle (room temp being about 25º).

For a reason I can't manage to understand or find that reason, the 3700X stays around 40º if I just stare at the wallpaper, reaching about 45º/50º by doing only simple things like net surfing or YouTube. Playing games it almost instantly spikes above 60º, reaching quite usually numbers close to 70º. I've even seen 79º after two hours of gaming, or almost instantly by stress testing the CPU on Prime 95 or Aida 64. I don't think this is normal, at all, since the CPU has almost never reached 4'35GHz, not talking about 4'4GHz, which have proved to be too much for it by now.

The BIOS is the last one Asus has released for the MoBo, also last chipset drivers by AMD, released yesterday 27/09/2019. Motherboard has also shown some other weird issued related to voltaje, and I'm starting to think that maybe it's a faulty unit, but tbh I would prefer to know if it may be a different issue before having to disassemble the whole water cooling loop.

Thanks in advance.

Everything you've posted is normal operation for a 3700...you need to take the time to read up on how PBO works and affects individual cores inside a CCX as well as the thermal envelope Ryzen works within to maximize clock speed.

In summary:

temp spikes at idle due to Windows back ground processes triggering PBO = normal

same thing for watching video = normal

same thing for hitting up to 80c while gaming = normal

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
If you use the latest BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA and choose the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and set the Minimum Processor State between 10% and 20% your 3700x should idle at lower temps than you are seeing.
My Ambient temp is 22-23c and my 3700x idles at 30-32c and goes up to ~36c when browsing the web.
It maxes out at 60-62c after hours of gaming.
Also use Ryzen Master to monitor your temperature because it is more accurate than anything else.

See my signature for my full specs.

Last edited:

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Everything you've posted is normal operation for a 3700...you need to take the time to read up on how PBO works and affects individual cores inside a CCX as well as the thermal envelope Ryzen works within to maximize clock speed.

In summary:

temp spikes at idle due to Windows back ground processes triggering PBO = normal

same thing for watching video = normal

same thing for hitting up to 80c while gaming = normal
So, basically, you're telling me that 50º with a 360rad only for it, while watching a 1080p video on YouTube, is normal?

If so, what kind of bullshit has AMD made? This is much worse than those toasters FX were if so.

Temps under loads of 60's-70C is the new 'semi-normal' for many Ryzen 3000 series...(those temps can't really be directly compared to the 7700K running at 35C at 800 MHz under idle...)

You can look at De8auer's videos on YOutube about the subject of Ryzen 3600-3900X idle and single/multi core load temps, boost clocks achieved, AGESA versions, etc..

Prime95 is an all-core load, so you likely would not see above 4.0-4.1x GHz, so loaded..

So, basically, you're telling me that 50º with a 360rad only for it, while watching a 1080p video on YouTube, is normal?

If so, what kind of bullshit has AMD made? This is much worse than those toasters FX were if so.

Claiming AMD "bullshit" is ridiculous.

You need to take the time to understand your chip is an entirely different architecture than Intels design and believe it or not the efficiency is much better than comparable Intel chips. Again the temp spike is because Ryzen will push to the limit of the BIOS parameters of voltage, current, and temp envelope to maximize single core performance boosts when PBO is enabled. There is absolutely no issue with a 50c temp other than in your head...50c is barely more than 50% of the chips safe operating range.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-3.html

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Claiming AMD "bullshit" is ridiculous.

You need to take the time to understand your chip is an entirely different architecture than Intels design and believe it or not the efficiency is much better than comparable Intel chips. Again the temp spike is because Ryzen will push to the limit of the BIOS parameters of voltage, current, and temp envelope to maximize single core performance boosts when PBO is enabled. There is absolutely no issue with a 50c temp other than in your head...50c is barely more than 50% of the chips safe operating range.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
What is ridiculous it to think that a 65w tdp device needs to produce that much heat, and call it efficiency.

I'm completely aware that 50º is much more than a safe temperature. It's not a problem for the CPU, it's a problem for me, that I deeply dislike to have a noisy and warm system. I built a cooling system that got me what I wanted, and now I see that this new "efficient" CPU is basically nothing else tan a toaster. Quite amazing to be, I guess I'm a total ignorant, otherwise I can't understand this idea.

vultusprime

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
What is ridiculous it to think that a 65w tdp device needs to produce that much heat, and call it efficiency.

I'm completely aware that 50º is much more than a safe temperature. It's not a problem for the CPU, it's a problem for me, that I deeply dislike to have a noisy and warm system. I built a cooling system that got me what I wanted, and now I see that this new "efficient" CPU is basically nothing else tan a toaster. Quite amazing to be, I guess I'm a total ignorant, otherwise I can't understand this idea.
I couldn't agree more, my friend. When the new Ryzen 5 3600 and 3700X came out I was very exited about them and was seriously considering one of the two for my new PC.
I have changed my mind. Go to any computer forums and you'll see post after post of people complaining about the stupidly high temps with their new Ryzen.
I think I'll stick with Intel, AMD still has a unresolved issues to fix.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I couldn't agree more, my friend. When the new Ryzen 5 3600 and 3700X came out I was very exited about them and was seriously considering one of the two for my new PC.
I have changed my mind. Go to any computer forums and you'll see post after post of people complaining about the stupidly high temps with their new Ryzen.
I think I'll stick with Intel, AMD still has a unresolved issues to fix.

I agree with you man but unfortunately I can't refund my 3700x bought off Newegg. In addition, Intel is still dam expensive for my budget. My 3700x idle is above 45C and underload stress test is above 85C. I have Noctua NH D15S cooler and using Ryzen balance power plan.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Did you do a clean install of Windows when you upgraded?

Fresh install Windows 1903 from USB I make a month ago.
Windows 10 with all updates (build 1903)?
Yes sir. All Windows Updates installed. Motherboard and GPU drivers installed. Latest AMD Chipset from AMD site.
What Windows power plan are you using?

Ryzen Balance Power Plan
All BIOS settings at stock, and made sure PBO/AOC is off?

Only RAM XMP enable. How to check PBO/AOC is off in ASUS BIOS?

Im recycling this response from another post I responded to as it sounds like the same issue.

For the new gen Ryzen chips, there is a known issue where at stock level, the Voltage is defaulted to be too high. Ive seen people complaining about it and did some research.

I found that on some R9 and some R7 chips the voltages in BIOS are set to be 1.3-1.45 which is too high for this cpu (depending on overclocking, and cooling).

The new gen cpus should be running more around 1.2v stock during core boosting.

This issue causes very high idle temps and also load temps.

I just helped a guy yesterday on his new R9 chip and his gaming temps were reaching 85c which is the kind of temps LTT and other tech testers get while running benchmarks such as Aida64. Keep in mind these results are based off stock settings and cooling.

The solution is to go make sure your chip is in fact not running above 1.2v and see if it fixes the issue.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Im recycling this response from another post I responded to as it sounds like the same issue.

For the new gen Ryzen chips, there is a known issue where at stock level, the Voltage is defaulted to be too high. Ive seen people complaining about it and did some research.

I found that on some R9 and some R7 chips the voltages in BIOS are set to be 1.3-1.45 which is too high for this cpu (depending on overclocking, and cooling).

The new gen cpus should be running more around 1.2v stock during core boosting.

This issue causes very high idle temps and also load temps.

I just helped a guy yesterday on his new R9 chip and his gaming temps were reaching 85c which is the kind of temps LTT and other tech testers get while running benchmarks such as Aida64. Keep in mind these results are based off stock settings and cooling.

The solution is to go make sure your chip is in fact not running above 1.2v and see if it fixes the issue.

Is it that going to affect the performance?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 3700x IS extremely efficient for what it is. You went from a 91w TDP 4/8 i7 that'd easily top 140w output at max before OC, to a 65w TDP 8/16 that maxes out at just 90w.

But the kicker is, you are basing assumptions of Intel temps on an AMD cpu. That's not gonna work, same as it never worked for FX.

If you want a closer comparison, look at old Sandy's with their soldered ihs vrs ivys with tim. The Sandy's ran hotter, clock for clock, than the ivys.

There's things to consider not just wattage. Even though it's lower watts total, the sheer amount of work is more than doubled. You've got cores working and IF running between them and considerably higher ram speeds being dealt with by the mc. And that's not even considering the extra work and higher boosts from PBO.

I get what you are seeing, everybody gets what you are seeing, but comparatively those temps are pretty nice when faced up against Intel 8/16 9900k that for 500MHz is pushing out a hair over 200w and can hit 250w on an all core 5GHz. That's one seriously hot cpu. Same cores/threads, double the heat output, and 5% better overall.

That said, you shouldn't be having any issues with temps on a 3700x. At less than 100w output on a 350w rad, there should be plenty of room thermally. PBO, xmp and whatever else not withstanding, you've a delta of @ 39°C, which wouldn't be all that dissimilar to the 7700k running 30-69°C. The Ryzen is running 40-79.

Right now, only Ryzen Master is accurate for temps. Latest HWInfo is close, anything older isn't. It's being worked on currently in conjuction with AMD. So temps read by Aida64.. Bogus.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Do you have any source for this that I can check as well?

Last edited:
Is it that going to affect the performance?
The 3700x IS extremely efficient for what it is. You went from a 91w TDP 4/8 i7 that'd easily top 140w output at max before OC, to a 65w TDP 8/16 that maxes out at just 90w.

But the kicker is, you are basing assumptions of Intel temps on an AMD cpu. That's not gonna work, same as it never worked for FX.

If you want a closer comparison, look at old Sandy's with their soldered ihs vrs ivys with tim. The Sandy's ran hotter, clock for clock, than the ivys.

There's things to consider not just wattage. Even though it's lower watts total, the sheer amount of work is more than doubled. You've got cores working and IF running between them and considerably higher ram speeds being dealt with by the mc. And that's not even considering the extra work and higher boosts from PBO.

I get what you are seeing, everybody gets what you are seeing, but comparatively those temps are pretty nice when faced up against Intel 8/16 9900k that for 500MHz is pushing out a hair over 200w and can hit 250w on an all core 5GHz. That's one seriously hot cpu. Same cores/threads, double the heat output, and 5% better overall.

That said, you shouldn't be having any issues with temps on a 3700x. At less than 100w output on a 350w rad, there should be plenty of room thermally. PBO, xmp and whatever else not withstanding, you've a delta of @ 39°C, which wouldn't be all that dissimilar to the 7700k running 30-69°C. The Ryzen is running 40-79.

Right now, only Ryzen Master is accurate for temps. Latest HWInfo is close, anything older isn't. It's being worked on currently in conjuction with AMD. So temps read by Aida64.. Bogus.

couldnt all this be solved by figuring out if the voltage is too high on boost?