Question Ryzen 3800x high temps with noctua d14

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I have recently upgraded to a ryzen 3800x on my gigabyte x470 ultra gaming motherboard, everything working great with latest updates to bios etc, but temps are high pushing 83c on full load 4.2ghz all core at stock with my noctua nh d14.
Im using thermal grizzly kryonoght tried re- applying several times, case has good airflow nothing seems to help.
Obviously this means the cpu fans are flatout making it much noisier than I'd like.
A quiet pc is important for me so ive been looking at the Be quiet silent loop 240 would it be better?
Or maybe the nh d15?
Any ideas?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
FYI my 3900X was running 95+ degrees with the AMD Wraith Prism stock air cooler under load and 50+ degrees idle. It appears that the new Ryzen CPUs run really hot and that is not good. After installing a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum, my temps dropped about 10 degrees. But to really drop the temps you also need to drop the core voltage. I had to change the power settings to limit the CPU to 99% which dropped the temps to the 40 degree range and load to 70 degrees.

Until the MB mfrs release a BIOS update to throttle back the voltages, I am not taking any chances of the fried CPU...

Aug 28, 2019
I have recently upgraded to a ryzen 3800x on my gigabyte x470 ultra gaming motherboard, everything working great with latest updates to bios etc, but temps are high pushing 83c on full load 4.2ghz all core at stock with my noctua nh d14.
Im using thermal grizzly kryonoght tried re- applying several times, case has good airflow nothing seems to help.
Obviously this means the cpu fans are flatout making it much noisier than I'd like.
A quiet pc is important for me so ive been looking at the Be quiet silent loop 240 would it be better?
Or maybe the nh d15?
Any ideas?

Theres some sort Kernel-Power event heating proccessors
Try Windows 10 mini edition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)#/media/File:Kernel-Power.png

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
FYI my 3900X was running 95+ degrees with the AMD Wraith Prism stock air cooler under load and 50+ degrees idle. It appears that the new Ryzen CPUs run really hot and that is not good. After installing a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum, my temps dropped about 10 degrees. But to really drop the temps you also need to drop the core voltage. I had to change the power settings to limit the CPU to 99% which dropped the temps to the 40 degree range and load to 70 degrees.

Until the MB mfrs release a BIOS update to throttle back the voltages, I am not taking any chances of the fried CPU...

I definitely feel like the 3800x needs better cooling than the wraith prism to achieve optimum performance but I'd have thought the d14 would be enough, at least at stock! Any ideas about the performance of the Be Quiet AIO? How is the noise with the Corsair h115, maybe I could put noctua fans on one?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
What are you using to push it to full load Derek?
It's just synthetic benchmarks like Prime 95 and Cinebench do push temperatures up very high as they test the CPU to its limits.
Normal use in heavy gaming or demanding applications are where temperatures can be gauged properly.

My Ryzen 3700x with the stock Wraith Prism cooler goes up to about 95c in Prime 95 but during heavy gaming like Battlefield V it only gets to around 72c.

Andy

Per Debauerer's reviews, it seemed (to me anyway) that 80-85C is quite routine/commonplace if/when all core boost is within 4.1-4.3 GHz, depending on specific model...(certainly, the factory provided cooler was not deemed a future 'rock star' nor any sort of threat to Noctua coporate profits in any of the reviews I've read..)

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Cosmic dance and mdd1963, thanks for the replys. I'm using blender mostly so rendering pushes all cores pretty hard although only to about 75-80c, like you say the highest temps come under synthetic loads. Problem is i also do some recording and mixing so quiet is an issue and even my d14 is getting pretty loud with this cpu.

The main problem is the temps seem to ramp up quickly even doing minor stuff (obviously turbo boost) which makes the d14 ramp up and down making extra noise.

Sep 3, 2019
Or maybe the nh d15?
Any ideas?
I have Corsair H115i 280mm AIO, my 3800x sits around 50-62 degrees while gaming and the clock never goes below 4.2GHz even while idle. My cooler is silent, with some adjustment in the fan curves. I set it to around 70% when the CPU hits 75 and around 50% when the CPU hits around 65.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Turns it the high temp issues does not happen for everyone like right away..sometimes tit maybe right away...or few weeks or months later before it start seeing this issue..Its reacting to something.

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Just an update, I've replaced my d14 with an alphacool Eisbaer 250mm aio which is giving roughly 7-10c cooler temps about 73-76c underload.

Its very quiet generally, fans make some noise when its pushed but pump is really quiet.

Its not as great an improvement as I'd hoped for but at least the fans aren't ramping up and down every 2 seconds like the d14, a 280mm aio like fategg suggests would probably be better but wont fit my case.
Cheers