Question Ryzen 5 2600 died, got a replacement. How can I avoid it in the future?

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi. My specs are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (was overclocked to 4.0 GHz all core at 1.375v as set in the BIOS)

DeepCool GAMMAXX 300 CPU cooler (max temperature reached, 85 C on full load, typically mid 70s while gaming)

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus Motherboard

4x8GB XPG 3000 MHz RAM (did not post at the 3000 MHz XMP profile with 4 sticks, only 2800 MHz worked)

Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB

Highpower AstroGD 850 watt 80+ Platinum PSU (tier B, as seen in the PSU tier list)

So, my CPU died a couple of days ago after a "PFN List Corrupt" BSOD; the PC didn't post after the reboot, the "CPU Failure" Debug LED was lit.

I contacted the warranty. They confirmed the CPU was dead and gave me a replacement R5 2600.

I still haven't put the system back together since I was afraid it would be my motherboard that killed the CPU. Motherboard shows no sign of damage to the VRMs, or caps, however.

For reassurance, I had my PSU tested, and it is fine. 12, 5, and 3.3 volts are fine.

I pulled the CMOS battery of the motherboard a few hours ago, to make sure it is cleared (not connected to the PSU either), and I also pulled 2 RAM sticks.

So, my question in the end is that, how did my CPU died? Was it the overclock? Can my motherboard have overloaded it? I am afraid of putting the CPU back in, thinking the motherbaord might kill it. Anyway I can safely test the motherboard, with no CPU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
don't ever use it again, keep it in its box... but seriously you can't live in fear. It could have been a bad CPU. Or the overclocking you were doing...

there aren't any real ways to test a motherboard. Its why we test everything else and if it all comes back as fine, it has to be the motherboard.
Other way is to take PC to store and they can test all hardware on another board and if no errors, that too points at mb being cause

Reactions: miladed and Nemesia
Do a cmos reset on the board to remove those overclock settings for safety's sake.
You say you set 1.375v in bios for the overclock but are you certain the board wasn't overinflating that voltage when actually running due to llc??

AMD themselves state 1.35v is recommended max for extended usage for ryzen chips, llc could easily have tipped it over 1.4v which wouldn't be a great idea.

That said it shouldn't have killed a cpu full stop, you were probably just unlucky.

Reactions: miladed

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Do a cmos reset on the board to remove those overclock settings for safety's sake.
You say you set 1.375v in bios for the overclock but are you certain the board wasn't overinflating that voltage when actually running due to llc??

AMD themselves state 1.35v is recommended max for extended usage for ryzen chips, llc could easily have tipped it over 1.4v which wouldn't be a great idea.

That said it shouldn't have killed a cpu full stop, you were probably just unlucky.

I pulled the CMOS battery for hours now, and the Motherboard is not connected to PSU either. So it should be reset at this point, right?

No idea. Maybe it was. I don't exactly remember what the voltage reading was with hardware info, but according to Gamers Nexus, even that can be off by 0.1v sometimes; which can easily kill a CPU.

The CPU might have been weak to begin with, and the extra strain from the OC could've killed it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
motherboards can't normally break CPU, PSU is about only thing that can and you confirmed yours is fine. As suggested above, if you have another CPU break in a few months, then you can worry about motherboard.

if you get same BSOD again, its always possible cause is software. a lot of BSOD caused by drivers. I know as I normally answer BSOD posts.

Set this up just in case you do

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
motherboards can't normally break CPU, PSU is about only thing that can and you confirmed yours is fine. As suggested above, if you have another CPU break in a few months, then you can worry about motherboard.

if you get same BSOD again, its always possible cause is software. a lot of BSOD caused by drivers. I know as I normally answer BSOD posts.

Set this up just in case you do

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
Well, bad news. I put the PC back together, and it STILL won't turn on. Same CPU failure LED debug is on. Either my MB went with the CPU, or it kills CPUs. Also there's the off chance the warranty gave me a bad CPU. I'll contact both warranties tomorrow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would get the board and CPU tested before assuming you have another bad CPU. It sounds unlikely you get a new CPU and its bad right away, I would get it tested on a working board. Also, repair shops can test a CPU they know works on board to see if it still shows the error.

miladed

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
I would get the board and CPU tested before assuming you have another bad CPU. It sounds unlikely you get a new CPU and its bad right away, I would get it tested on a working board. Also, repair shops can test a CPU they know works on board to see if it still shows the error.
I will take them both to their respective warranties and have them test it.

God this is so frustrating.