blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Hello guys,

I've recently put together a build of my computer and I've been using it ever since but I've noticed, when checking my system's information on CPU-Z that my CPU's core voltage has been relatively high (around 1,38V/1,4V - with chrome opened - so ~7% CPU usage)

Is this normal? I'm kind of worried because I've read countless times on overclocking guidethroughs that the core voltage should never go past 1.4V on overclock and I have the same value basically on idle,

Thanks in advance!

tomshardware.png

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I've recently put together a build of my computer and I've been using it ever since but I've noticed, when checking my system's information on CPU-Z that my CPU's core voltage has been relatively high (around 1,38V/1,4V - with chrome opened - so ~7% CPU usage)

Is this normal? I'm kind of worried because I've read countless times on overclocking guidethroughs that the core voltage should never go past 1.4V on overclock and I have the same value basically on idle,

Thanks in advance!
Are you overclocking? Have you enabled PBO in BIOS? Have you changed voltage settings using BIOS or Ryzenmaster?

If no to all of those and voltage and processor clock multipliers are left on AUTO in BIOS, I'd not worry about it. First is the voltage readout from CPU-z isn't the best, second and most important is the processor manages it's core voltage internally, picking a voltage to assure stability for a boost clock and load combination, when left in AUTO.

If you want to know true core voltage get a utility called HWinfo64 and look at the STI2/TFN VCore voltage sensor. Once you have a way to determine true core voltage you can try undervolting if you want to.

blacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Are you overclocking? Have you enabled PBO in BIOS? Have you changed voltage settings using BIOS or Ryzenmaster?

I've done little tweaking after building the PC, I think I haven't changed any commands in the BIOS, actually, only on the CPU fans section.

I haven't overclocked (and not planning to) and have no clue to what PBO is.

If you want to know true core voltage get a utility called HWinfo64 and look at the STI2/TFN VCore voltage sensor. Once you have a way to determine true core voltage you can try undervolting if you want to.

This is probably not the right section you were trying to indicate but all I found were these core voltage indicators (one on the main thread and the other one on the sensors thread)

ryzen2.png

This is probably not the right section you were trying to indicate but all I found were these core voltage indicators (one on the main thread and the other one on the sensors thread)
That indeed is not the right section...it's the processor VID setting for each core and not the actual core voltage. Scroll a bit further to find the CPU Core Voltage (STI2 TFN) read out. At the same time, look for CPU (Tdie/Tctl) temperature read out as that's the most correct CPU temp indicator too.