Question Ryzen 5 3600 2 years later still bad for me

JonelKingas

Prominent
Aug 4, 2021
Idk why but after 2 years already the performance in (Cinebench r20 or any other) is bad idk why, I thought after 2 years it would be fixed but it isn't and idk if I'm even getting good performance in games cause all benchmarks on yt are with OC or with high speed ram I have 3200mhz ram 2x8gb, many people get and say normal in r20 is 3500 score... when I don't even get 2300 I have everything up to date I'm not stupid, bios is optimized default with XMP turned on... and when monitoring it CPU clocks don't go higher than 3950mhz, oh and PBO doesn't work a all... it doesn't boost those "200 MHz it should" NOT even for a short amount of time in games loading, playing, etc...

Here is the benchmark:
View: https://imgur.com/a/8Z34ReM

Btw nothing was running in the background

First things first: what motherboard and BIOS are you running? It should be the latest.

In BIOS be sure you've set voltage on AUTO and frequency on AUTO.

Also be sure CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores is enabled.

In Windows install the latest AMD chipset driver, and only get it from the AMD support web site.

Make sure you're running either Ryzen Balanced power plan (installed with the chipset drivers) or at least Windows Balanced. Type Power & Sleep in Cortana and run the applet. Set the performance mode to Better...or Best performance.

If you've installed Ryzenmaster uninstall it. Also uninstall any motherboard utilities you may have installed.

Now try CB20. The best way (most repeatable) to run is on a fresh boot, runit first thing with nothing else. Once the app is open in Task Manager set it's Priority to Realtime. Let it sit a while...maybe 30 sec's to one minute and click on nothing else. That's to give Windows time to settle itself. Only then click on the Run button to start the BM. It will appear to lock up as it's running exclusive priority, not even updating screen and not parsing mouse movements.

Ultimately: if you've a 'launch' CPU it may not do so well. I've got a launch 3700X with a similar problem. Early silicon is just not as good as the mature stuff coming out now. But I have found mine responds well to PBO, getting me just as good performance numbers as mature silicon 3700X's also under PBO.

Last edited:

JonelKingas

Prominent
Aug 4, 2021
First things first: what motherboard and BIOS are you running? It should be the latest.

In Windows install the latest AMD chipset driver, and only get it from the AMD support web site.

Make sure you're running either Ryzen Balanced power plan (installed with the chipset drivers) or at least Windows Balanced. Type Power & Sleep in Cortana and run the applet. Set the performance mode to Better...or Best performance.

If you've installed Ryzenmaster uninstall it. Also uninstall any motherboard utilities you may have installed.

Now try CB20. The best way (most repeatable) to run is on a fresh boot, runit first thing with nothing else. Once the app is open in Task Manager set it's Priority to Realtime. Let it sit a while...maybe 30 sec's to one minute and click on nothing else. That's to give Windows time to settle itself. Only then click on the Run button to start the BM. It will appear to lock up as it's running exclusive priority, not even updating screen and not parsing mouse movements.

Ultimately: if you've a 'launch' CPU it may not do so well. I've got a launch 3700X with a similar problem. Early silicon is just not as good as the mature stuff coming out now. But I have found mine responds well to PBO, getting me just as good performance numbers as mature silicon 3700X's also under PBO.
PRetty mucheverything was doe except Im using custom power plan which is a bit better its bitsum but i did test it it was tiny bit better and should voltage be set to normal as for and said? cause it is n auto maybe i should try normal?

JonelKingas

Prominent
Aug 4, 2021
Which motherboard is it?
And is cooling monitored? And even is 4+4 pin psu cable fully plugged in?
The motherboard is b450m ds3h.
Cooling is not a problem, I checked I even have CPU undervolted, and no I did check score is pretty much the same, and the undervolt is pretty much stable...
I haven't touched the pin cable since 2019 I got my PC so I don't think that's the problem plus I would probably get errors BSOD etc, I don't.

JonelKingas

Prominent
Aug 4, 2021

Okay so ummm I did optimized default again in bios and configured a few settings like turned on XMP and changed fans speed but what's interesting is I saw PCIe gen was set on auto so I thought why not set it to 3 cause I don't even have 4 option and it might be changing between 1 2 and 3 idk if this was the fix but wow it actually fixed it I think... now my cinebench score is 2503 and single core 473

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In CB20 my Ryzen 3700x gets 5100 / 495. Pretty much stock settings, No PBO, but I do run CTR2.1 and Dram Calculator, which brought my scores up from 4650 / 425.

When undervolting a Ryzen, you undervolt the VID, not vcore. VID should be @ 1.325v ±. That does hurt single core performance a little, single core will use upto 1.5v if allowed, but realistically nothing runs 1 thread anymore so you'll bounce at least 2 threads and that picks up the slack.

Also, physically set fclock for 1600, many times infinity fabric will change that per load/temp if it's on Auto.