Jun 21, 2020
Hi!

I got a small problem.
My first pc I ever build is great and all, but the temps are bad...

I got a ryzen 5 3600 and a noctua nh-d15 on it, yes I do know it's overkill but hey - it should cool it down right?
But it doesn't.

On prime95 I get 80-83c* and I've tried a thousand things to solve it but I can't.
Until last night I found out that when I use prime95 the cpu is on 165W!!!

Isn't that like ALOT?!
Please help me, it would be goooolden if anyone could help me solve this mess :-(!
Thank you in advance :)

Solution
Noctua used to post TDP ratings on their coolers, but over time decided (rightly) that TDP ratings, especially on Intel cpu's, were seriously bunk, so they quit doing that and went to a graphical representation instead.

The TDP rating of the NH-D15/S is 250w+ and has not changed since its inception.

Ryzens are not Intels. They'll pretty much stick like glue to their wattage rating, even under extreme loads, because they'll throttle back on boost in order to do so. The 3600 is a 65w cpu and that's what you can expect from it, AVX or not.

PBO can change that. It's a documented fact that some motherboard manufacturers will artificially boost PBO beyond AMD stocks settings, applying a level 1 or level 2 limit instead which...
Jun 21, 2020
Btw specs are:

RYZEN 5 3600
NOCTUA NH-D15
RTX 2060 SUPER
16GB RAM 3000MHZ
PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400A - ONE CASE FAN IN THE FRONT AND ONE IN THE BACK 120MM
CORSAIR 650W SILVER 88%
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That D15 should cool that easy what version of prime 95 are you running?

I would download OCCT and just click the green on button and see what your temps are that is a more realistic load and easier to do than figure out what prime 95 to run.

Jun 21, 2020
I am running the small test, maximum power/heat etc...
But what the problem seems to be is that it is drawing 165w which is the max of the noctua, and is what i think maybe why it cant cool it down correctly?

now the question is why is the cpu drawing 165w, when its a 65w according to ryzen, shouldnt a benchmark make it go to 70-80 or even 90w and not 165w?!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am running the small test, maximum power/heat etc...
But what the problem seems to be is that it is drawing 165w which is the max of the noctua, and is what i think maybe why it cant cool it down correctly?

now the question is why is the cpu drawing 165w, when its a 65w according to ryzen, shouldnt a benchmark make it go to 70-80 or even 90w and not 165w?!
That is not saying the version and what is turned on. Run OCCT .
Their only a couple C difference in the D15 and most AIO water coolers till you get into the 360mm ones.

D

Deleted member 2720853

"but what the problem seems to be is that it is drawing 165w which is the max of the noctua"

Pretty sure the NH-D15 is rated at 220W.

Jun 21, 2020
@justquant You're absolutely right - my bad...
But what my problem is that I get high temps, such as 80-83 in prime95, and around 70-80 in battlefield V in high settings, which is not a good temperature for the noctua...
And why I think that is, is that it draws 165w?

Do you now any soloution for this and I would be forever grateful :)!

D

Deleted member 2720853

@justquant You're absolutely right - my bad...
But what my problem is that I get high temps, such as 80-83 in prime95, and around 70-80 in battlefield V in high settings, which is not a good temperature for the noctua...
And why I think that is, is that it draws 165w?

Do you now any soloution for this and I would be forever grateful :)!
Have you mounted the cooler properly? What's your chassis? What is your case fan setup? Pictures would help.

What are you using to measure power draw, Ryzen Master?

D

Deleted member 2720853

@justquant Yes, it also has been removed and re installed to check that I didn't do anything wrong.
I am using a Phanteks P400-A - one 120mm phanteks fan in the front and one in the back.
Good case there, looks like it has a mesh front which is always good for airflow...

Is the front fan lined up with the CPU cooler or is it in the middle?

As the user above suggested run Prime95 with AVX off, or use OCCT for a more realistic result.

And once again, what are you using to measure power draw?

Jun 21, 2020
@Crosslhs82x2 @justquant

I can do that but the problem is that even in gaming the temperatures are high.
Like in Battlefield V with high (not ultra) grapich settings I get between 70-80 degrees, which indicates that something is wrong... Not even the worst aftermarket cooler gets those temps :-(

I use argus monitor but some has recommended ryzen master for more trustable numbers, which i'll try tonight after work! :)
The CPU fan is lined to move air towards the GPU, not towards the Noctua :)

D

Deleted member 2720853

@Crosslhs82x2 @justquant

I can do that but the problem is that even in gaming the temperatures are high.
Like in Battlefield V with high (not ultra) grapich settings I get between 70-80 degrees, which indicates that something is wrong... Not even the worst aftermarket cooler gets those temps :-(

I use argus monitor but some has recommended ryzen master for more trustable numbers, which i'll try tonight after work! :)
The CPU fan is lined to move air towards the GPU, not towards the Noctua :)
Definitely do that, Ryzen Master will give you more accurate results.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
D

Deleted member 2720853

@justquant

I'll try that tonight, but let say that I still get insanely high power on my CPU, what do I do? I am not that experienced with PC's :)?
Post your Ryzen Master power draw values while gaming when you are able to, and we'll take it from there

165W for a Ryzen 5 3600 is not normal under any circumstance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty sure the NH-D15 is rated at 220W.
Could you point me in the direction of this?
Noctua is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't post TDP ratings, instead using some little chart with 4 different ratings:
-Ok at stock operation
-Low overclocking headroom
-Moderate overclocking headroom
-Highest overclocking headroom

@samiski
Folks are getting too hung up on thermals with these cpus, forgetting that on heavy loads, these cpus will try to boost all active threads UP TO the advertised max boost clock based on thermal headroom.
In the case of the Ryzen 3600, that's 4.2ghz. You should also be looking at the frequencies on all threads.

Also, why'd you change the chassis' stock configuration?